Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can we sign at least ONE decent free agent, for once?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Our cap situation isn't as bad as you think...

We are less than $10 million over the latest cap projection....cut Levi Brown and there is $6 million right there...

Offer Heath and Troy reasonable extensions and that puts you under...offer Ben a reasonable extension and that gives you some cap room...you could also offer Brown a simple restructure in the 2nd year of his deal for more room...get Woodley to agree to a pay cut for one season and either cut Ike or renegotiate....

Any of those things are moves that are completely within the realm of possibility (although the Woodley thing might be the least likely) and, arguably, in the best interests of the team...

Troy, Heath and Ben are all playing at a high level...adding 3 or 4 years on a backloaded, "cuttable" deal with a reasonable amount guaranteed would work just fine...
    The site that shall not be named has a good cap post to read. Very close to what Slap posted.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Signing Matt Spaeth was a good move. He's a good blocking TE and since he came in, there was a big difference. Definitely have to bring him back. Wallace has played quite well at C since he's been in there. Good depth now on the OL.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Signing Matt Spaeth was a good move. He's a good blocking TE and since he came in, there was a big difference. Definitely have to bring him back. Wallace has played quite well at C since he's been in there. Good depth now on the OL.
    You know I hope the Steelers can build a better O line for 2014 with the guys they have. But a few times players had one good year then lost there spot the next because they did not play well. Foster has stuck around. But there have been a few that stunk it up there "2nd" year with the Steelers. I could go back and look at all the different players each year but no reason to. My point is I am not sold on LT, C, RT and even back ups just yet. Will not find out till camp and see what happens with the O line.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    when was the last time u saw him DOMINATE?? I say "Never"
    All I know is that, save for an attack on his leg by his own teammate, it is likely that he is celebrating his 4th PB berth in four years in the league. The next time Velasco is mentioned for the Pro Bowl, will be the first time. And the only way Cody Wallace gets to Honolulu, is the same way you or I, get there. That is... buy a plane ticket.

BTW, I like Velasco. As a role player. A swing O-lineman, capable of filling-in at C or G. But I'm not confused at all--Velasco moved like an iceberg. That was the knock on him anyway. So moving ahead, putting his 300-lbs. on a reconstructed achilles, with a work ethic that was considered questionable coming out of college, DOES NOT inspire confidence.

I won't even talk about Cody Wallace, because I don't want to embarrass myself (thinking that anyone in their right mind would compare him to Pouncey). You guys must be talking about someone else who filled in for him, that is escaping me right now.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    All I know is that, save for an attack on his leg by his own teammate, it is likely that he is celebrating his 4th PB berth in four years in the league. The next time Velasco is mentioned for the Pro Bowl, will be the first time. And the only way Cody Wallace gets to Honolulu, is the same way you or I, get there. That is... buy a plane ticket.

BTW, I like Velasco. As a role player. A swing O-lineman, capable of filling-in at C or G. But I'm not confused at all--Velasco moved like an iceberg. That was the knock on him anyway. So moving ahead, putting his 300-lbs. on a reconstructed achilles, with a work ethic that was considered questionable coming out of college, DOES NOT inspire confidence.

I won't even talk about Cody Wallace, because I don't want to embarrass myself (thinking that anyone in their right mind would compare him to Pouncey). You guys must be talking about someone else who filled in for him, that is escaping me right now.
    Thank you
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

One thing I know about LINEMAN in the NFL, they go to the ProBowl on Reputation more than anything. Especially with Fan Voting. Lineman on the decline (Like Alan Faneca) will still make the Pro-Bowl b/c it's a common name. Pouncey had a great rookie season and got his reputation. Since then I haven't been impressed. Not saying he's bad at all, just saying He's not DOMINANT and our team was able to move on w/out him.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    One thing I know about LINEMAN in the NFL, they go to the ProBowl on Reputation more than anything. Especially with Fan Voting. Lineman on the decline (Like Alan Faneca) will still make the Pro-Bowl b/c it's a common name. Pouncey had a great rookie season and got his reputation. Since then I haven't been impressed. Not saying he's bad at all, just saying He's not DOMINANT and our team was able to move on w/out him.
    I'm just curious what you're using as criteria for determining that Pouncey has regressed or hasn't gotten better since his rookie season. It would have been difficult to look bad in his rookie year since he was replacing names like Mahan, Okobi (on occasion), Phillip, Hartwig, Stapleton (I think he took some snaps at center), etc.

As fans, we also have no idea if the playbook is reduced when Pouncey doesn't play, I do know that Pouncey is asked to pull on some plays and to get into the second level and make blocks. I have no idea if Velasco or Wallace can do those things, my guess is that they can't.

IMO, Pouncey should be paid and either Velasco or Wallace be kept for backup purposes.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I'm just curious what you're using as criteria for determining that Pouncey has regressed or hasn't gotten better since his rookie season. It would have been difficult to look bad in his rookie year since he was replacing names like Mahan, Okobi (on occasion), Phillip, Hartwig, Stapleton (I think he took some snaps at center), etc.

As fans, we also have no idea if the playbook is reduced when Pouncey doesn't play, I do know that Pouncey is asked to pull on some plays and to get into the second level and make blocks. I have no idea if Velasco or Wallace can do those things, my guess is that they can't.

IMO, Pouncey should be paid and either Velasco or Wallace be kept for backup purposes.

Pappy
    He isnt the only one.... I guess you haven't received your "Pouncey hasn't improved since his rookie year" membersh card.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Pappy

They can. Wallace had a nice game this past weekend.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Saw this on another site:

Free Safety

The IDEAL
    Donte Whitner, SF, 28 yrs old
    He's coming off a 3 year / 11.75 contract
    That's the type of contact we can afford

Major Wright, CHI, 25
    He's coming off a 4 year / 2.6 contract

The Safety Net
    Chris Clemons, MIA, 28 yrs old
    He's coming off a 1 year / 2.75 contract

Will Allen, PIT, 31 Yrds old
    He's coming off a 1 year / 600k contract
    He's cheap and he knows the system

The Reclamation Project
    Usama Young, CLE, 28 yrs old
    He's coming off a 1 year / 985k contract
    He's got a ton of time at FS and he's still young. Never lived up to potential, but could be a stop gap FS/Depth player

Malcolm Jenkins, NO, 26 yrs old
    coming off, 5 yrs / 19 million

The Long Shot
    MD Jennings, GB, 25 yrs old
    He's a RFA so it would take an offersheet
    Potential break out talent

WR is another position that will need to be addressed with a free agent. Most likely bringing Cotchery back. But there are some interesting options out there, and the market for the position is absolutely flooded.

The Risk/Reward
    Jeremy Maclin, PHI, 25 yrs old
    He's coming off a torn ACL...

Kenny Brith, TEN, 25 yrs old
    He's a huge health risk, a character concern... but he's got elite talent

Danario Alexander, SD, 25 yrs old
    .... just kidding

The Safety Net
    Jericho Cotchery, PIT, 31 yrs old

There's a nice collection of 34 DEs on the market... and we need a starter... this is an area where we can spend wisely

Realistic/Good Fit
    Alex Carrington, BUF, 26 yrs old
    - Wanted to draft him when he came out. Perfect fit. Signing would make a lot of sense.

Al Woods, PIT, 26 yrs old

Fili Moala, IND, 26 yrs old