Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Don't be surprised if Dick LeBeau retires...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    There you go making sense again. Don't you know that doesn't fit the agenda?

We've been spoiled by having dominant D's over the years. This years wasn't really that bad. A lot of other teams would love to have our D and probably our DC if they thought they could get him.

My only "agenda" is being a fan and my love for the Steelers. Maybe we are spoiled, maybe other teams D's are as terrible as the Steelers. That's possible. With that said, I have watched this D go down hill for several years now on the heels of back to back 8-8 seasons. I am watching talent sit on the bench or be played out of position unless injury comes along (Worilds and Heyward). I'm seeing the Steelers give up 100 yard rushers, unable to cause turnovers, and the inability to get stops in crucial situations. So, if that is ok with those with the agenda of protecting LeBeau, then so be it.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would've thought it would be Raheem Morris, Tomlin's best friend before Leslie got a shot...that being said I think both coordinators are back
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Tell me I am crazy or wrong. But the Steelers never had that many "finesse" takeaways. Most were big hits and/or strips. Well big hits are going the way of the dino's. I think some of the tackling problems this year were guys trying to hard for a strip with no or little tackling help. Also the QB's have more time not enough presser to have bad throws. It seems to me in the past most int's were from bad throws. When you have a few sacks some QB's start hearing steps also and get sloppy. That does not happen as much anymore. Also a bunch of offensive systems get rid of the ball fast now a days. Lets hope in year 2 for Jones he steps it way up in the sack department. Also hope we have at least a good ROLB. If Worilds gets his pay day will he get fat and slow?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    This defense is miserable for a "Steeler" defense. If you think this defense is miserable for an NFL defense you must not watch any other games. The only dominant defense in the league this year is the Seahawks defense. Other than that defenses routinely get gashed. San Fran was thought to have a very good defense but they had the ball moved against them very easily. Did you notice Arizona come back from a 17-0 deficit and almost beat them? Does that sound familiar? I guess everybody has figured out their 'system' so they should fire their coordinator.

We've been spoiled by the talent and scheme that Cowher, Tomlin, LeBeau and Colbert have put on the field for many years. Now we are going to have to adjust and let the Offense drive the team while the defense does what it can and hopefully make big plays when we need them.

This. Pretty much my point. Those that are comparing this year's defense to Steelers defenses of the past are correct. It didn't resemble one. BUT, comparing where they stand against the rest of the defensive coaching and talent in the league tells me they were better than average. If you think otherwise, you simply haven't watched enough NFL football.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    My only "agenda" is being a fan and my love for the Steelers. Maybe we are spoiled, maybe other teams D's are as terrible as the Steelers. That's possible. With that said, I have watched this D go down hill for several years now on the heels of back to back 8-8 seasons. I am watching talent sit on the bench or be played out of position unless injury comes along (Worilds and Heyward). I'm seeing the Steelers give up 100 yard rushers, unable to cause turnovers, and the inability to get stops in crucial situations. So, if that is ok with those with the agenda of protecting LeBeau, then so be it.
    I'm with Shawn on this one. LeBeau's defense is suppose to be an "Impact defense," but for three years we have seen decreasing sacks, late leads lost, few INTs, etc. It all starts with pressure on the QB and opponents have figured out how to mitigates the predictable rush that LeBeau has been running.

As I have said many times, if you are a fan who watches every game you know exactly who is rushing on any given play 8 out of 10 plays. You don't think the professionals know too. Combine that with the 10 yard cushion (which is still there more plays than not) and the players are not being putin position to succeed.

It is time for a change on the defense starting with the guy in charge.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    This. Pretty much my point. Those that are comparing this year's defense to Steelers defenses of the past are correct. It didn't resemble one. BUT, comparing where they stand against the rest of the defensive coaching and talent in the league tells me they were better than average. If you think otherwise, you simply haven't watched enough NFL football.
    If you think otherwise it means you've actually watched other teams without the Steeler Lebeau goggles. Other teams are fielding better D's and younger D's becausethey aren't married to their aging vets. Anyone who watched this D the last few years can see we failed to make adjustments and insert younger talent and now teams are exploiting our late transition.

19th in points allowed
    13th in yards per game
    28 teams have more INTs than us
    14 teams have forced more fumbles than us

Sorry... this D is bad for a Steelers D AND an NFL D. I have no interest in being average or slightly above average on D.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I'm with Shawn on this one. LeBeau's defense is suppose to be an "Impact defense," but for three years we have seen decreasing sacks, late leads lost, few INTs, etc. It all starts with pressure on the QB and opponents have figured out how to mitigates the predictable rush that LeBeau has been running.

As I have said many times, if you are a fan who watches every game you know exactly who is rushing on any given play 8 out of 10 plays. You don't think the professionals know too. Combine that with the 10 yard cushion (which is still there more plays than not) and the players are not being putin position to succeed.

It is time for a change on the defense starting with the guy in charge.
    If you equate 'pressure on the QB' with defensive 'hurries', then this current defense was better than the Superbowl defense of 2008. Taking a closer look, the hurries peaked in 2009 (59). And who was responsible? Woodley/Harrison. The point is, when players make plays, the defense works.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    If you think otherwise it means you've actually watched other teams without the Steeler Lebeau goggles. Other teams are fielding better D's and younger D's becausethey aren't married to their aging vets. Anyone who watched this D the last few years can see we failed to make adjustments and insert younger talent and now teams are exploiting our late transition.

19th in points allowed
    13th in yards per game
    28 teams have more INTs than us
    14 teams have forced more fumbles than us

Sorry... this D is bad for a Steelers D AND an NFL D. I have no interest in being average or slightly above average on D.
    First, the Steelers are married to aging vets because they blew 2 drafts in a row. No talent.
    Second, the talent they thought they had, namely Woodley, has completely disappeared from this defense. Some of you are forgetting the force he was early on. Can't fault coaching or org for a player that gets fat and happy after the fat contract. (I think they will finally try to correct this error in 2014).

Backup

User Info Menu

I disagree wholeheartedly that Coach Lebeau and his scheme are detrimental to this organization in any form or fashion. He is one of the greatest defensive minds of his era and his 3-4 scheme one of the best ever devised. The problem has been the inability on our part to be proactive "reloading" if you will in terms of the PROPER personnel since Coach Cowher left. And the folly of that has been and is catching up to us.

It's like being given the keys to a Ferrari and you attempt to drive it for 5-7 years with little or no preventative maintenance.And when something goes wrong, you attempt to replace parts with those made by Cheverolet.
    Last edited by Rod Polamalu; 01-01-2014 at 08:00 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    First, the Steelers are married to aging vets because they blew 2 drafts in a row. No talent.
    Second, the talent they thought they had, namely Woodley, has completely disappeared from this defense. Some of you are forgetting the force he was early on. Can't fault coaching or org for a player that gets fat and happy after the fat contract. (I think they will finally try to correct this error in 2014).
    We are married to vets because they are the only ones who know all the plays.