Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Browns Reportedly Fire Chudzinski After Steelers Loss....

Legend

User Info Menu

Norv Turner questions Browns' brass

Updated: December 31, 2013
    By Pat McManamon | ESPN.com

Offensive coordinator Norv Turner spoke up when Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam and CEO Joe Banner talked to the coaching staff Monday about the firing of coach Rob Chudzinski, according to sources familiar with the situation.

Whether it was a challenge or a calm question seems a matter of interpretation. Two sources said Turner was angry and spoke that way, another said he simply stated his concerns as part of a routine discussion that takes place when such moves are made.

Either way, Turner clearly asked why the staff was told the plan was for a long-term rebuild when the commitment from the front office didn't last a year. Turner also detailed his concern that the coaching staff worked with handicaps given the personnel on the field, the sources said.

Among his points were that the staff was told repeatedly the team was building for 2014, that the running back situation was never solved after the trade of Trent Richardson, the roster was constantly juggled, and the team fired a coach after he had to start three different quarterbacks.

The discussion followed Haslam laying out the thinking behind the firing of Chudzinski, which led to questions about the long-term plan for the team. A few seconds of calm followed, and Haslam asked if there were more questions.

Turner then spoke, and brought up the long-term plan and why the coaching staff would not be allowed to see it through. The implication was that coaches felt they went along with decisions all season that pointed to a committed rebuild, then had the lack of success in 2013 used against them.

Haslam and Banner explained the decision the same way they did to the media: The lack of progress late in the season was a downward trajectory the front office did not accept.

Sources said Turner did a slow boil throughout the season at the talent the coaches were given. That Chudzinski was fired given those limits prompted him to speak up.

Turner has been an NFL coach for 30 years, for 14 as a head coach with the Washington Redskins, San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders.

He is not expected to stay with the Browns. Banner said the team would allow all the assistants to seek other jobs and that the new hire would determine his staff.

The Browns have started the process of replacing Chudzinski.

Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles has agreed to interview with the Browns, a source tells ESPN's John Clayton.

The Browns, Detroit Lions and Minnesota Vikings are interested in interviewing Bowles. According to the source, Bowles will interview sometime later in the week with the Browns.

Seahawks defensive Dan Quinn is scheduled to interview Wednesday in Seattle with the Browns, a league source tells NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

[URL]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10223278/norv-turner-questioned-cleveland-browns-firing-rob-chudzinski[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I don't want to see Manziel in Cleveland...I can tell you that much.
    Gotta agree Shawn. I want to say that he's too small, unpolished and that the athletes at league level will offset some of his own ability. However,....something tells me this kid is going to be a major problem to defend even at league level much to the surprise of many. (And to the chagrin of many others)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drprwnap View Post
    Why not??? I'd LOVE to see Manziel in Cleveland. JM is a great COLLEGE qb but it's not going to transition to the NFL. I don't think he's gonna make it.
    If Manziel does go to Cleveland it will curse his NFL career. Quick, name the last QB drafted by CLE who had a solid NFL career. Or name the last free agent QB they signed that did decent since they were signed by the Browns.

Charlie Fry
    Colt McCoy
    Brady Quinn
    Weeden
    Garcia
    Anderson
    Seneca Wallace
    Dorsey
    Holcomb
    Dilfer
    Jake Delhomme
    Tim Couch
    Ty Detmer
    Wynn

You have to go back to Bernie to find a time where the Browns successfully added a QB to their roster. That is virtually insane.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    If Manziel does go to Cleveland it will curse his NFL career. Quick, name the last QB drafted by CLE who had a solid NFL career. Or name the last free agent QB they signed that did decent since they were signed by the Browns.

Charlie Fry
    Colt McCoy
    Brady Quinn
    Weeden
    Garcia
    Anderson
    Seneca Wallace
    Dorsey
    Holcomb
    Dilfer
    Jake Delhomme
    Tim Couch
    Ty Detmer
    Wynn

You have to go back to Bernie to find a time where the Browns successfully added a QB to their roster. That is virtually insane.
    This is true. However no one on that list was even half the Qb and player at the collegiate level that Manziel has been. Detmer was a productive passer but as an athlete,...he was food for the sharks at League level.

I will go on record that if the Browns landed Manziel, put together a lights out 3-4 defense, perhaps hired Keith Butler as head coach,...they would turns things around double time.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    That wasn't actually the current Browns. The current Browns are completely unpolluted by QB talent.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Polamalu View Post
    Gotta agree Shawn. I want to say that he's too small, unpolished and that the athletes at league level will offset some of his own ability. However,....something tells me this kid is going to be a major problem to defend even at league level much to the surprise of many. (And to the chagrin of many others)
    There is just something special about Manziel. If he doesn't drink, smoke or snort his way out of the league...he has the ability to change a franchise. I might be in a small minority with this evaluation, but I haven't seen talent like his. He is smallish, immature, and lacks that true elite gun but his field vision is like nothing I have ever seen. It's like he is playing a video game. I think he could be a QB that changes the Browns into a real player.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Cleveland Browns: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M

I gave the Browns a "D" grade for getting rid of Rob Chudzinski so quickly, as you can see in my Black Monday Coach Firing Grades page. Reports have trickled out that the Browns are smitten with Johnny Manziel, and they fired their coach because Chudzinski didn't like the Texas A&M product very much. It makes sense, as Manziel wasn't a particularly good fit for Chud's system, but he's talented and intriguing enough to be chosen in the 4-10 range.

The Browns obviously have to grab a quarterback with one of their two selections. Brandon Weeden is awful with his backhanded, underhanded and hook-shot passes. Brian Hoyer was decent in his two full games, but he's likely not the long-term answer. Jason Campbell looked solid before imploding at Cincinnati. Cleveland's new regime has to find the quarterback it wants to roll with going forward.

[URL]http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha