Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Haley Effect

Legend

User Info Menu

The Haley Effect

There has been a lot of discussion on how much Todd Haley has affected Roethlisberger's game. While the passing game has 'shortened' under Haley, it is really only continuing a trend that has been going on from the beginning of Ben's career. What is staggering, and indicative of the new NFL, is the other trend that Roethlisberger has throughout his career.

Check it out:

Year passing air yds/att atts/gm
    2004 5.6 21.1
    2005 5.2 22.3
    2006 4.2 31.3
    2007 4.9 26.9
    2008 4.1 29.3
    2009 4.7 33.7
    2010 4.6 32.4
    2011 4.3 34.2
    2012 3.8 34.5
    2013 3.5 36.5

In each of Haley's two seasons with the Steelers, he has shortened the passing game 10%. But the passing game is much more prolific than it ever was under BA considering Roethlisberger has a career high in attempts/gm.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think it's a concept BEN had to learn and that's why HALEY was brought in.

The best thing HALEY did (and saved his job) was let BEN have more authority on the OFFENSE/No Huddle
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wouldn't say our passing offense is more prolific because of the attempts per game. There was a long stretch where the more we threw the ball the worse we did as a team. What's made our offense prolific (I use that term loosely) is that Ben has made better decisions with the ball each year. He has his bad moments, but by and large, he's becoming more and more precise and decisive.

Legend

User Info Menu

I know this is blasphemy to many Steeler fans, but I liked the Ben that "managed the game" even though he really didn't just "manage" the game. He was efficient and effective in the pocket and outside the pocket, the offense could run the ball and gave Ben play-action options that until late this season he didn't have for the past few years as the Steelers tried to replace Bettis and no running back was really the threat a defense needed to account for.

It seems Bell is going to be that threat and I'm excited to see next years offense build on what was happening at the end of this year. Bell is going to have to be accounted for in the passing game and the running game by defenses, he reminds me of Roger Craig from having to defend him, both as a receiver and a runner. This will only make Ben that much more dangerous, I believe we'll see Ben's continued success increase even more next year. Contrary to what I believed a few years ago, Ben may be able to play excellent football into his late 30s and keep the window open for the Steelers.

Edit: Based on Ben's transformation, Landry Jones may have been drafted too early as Ben may be playing for many more years and I doubt Jones will want to sit around waiting his turn.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 01-05-2014 at 12:53 PM.

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    I wouldn't say our passing offense is more prolific because of the attempts per game. There was a long stretch where the more we threw the ball the worse we did as a team. What's made our offense prolific (I use that term loosely) is that Ben has made better decisions with the ball each year. He has his bad moments, but by and large, he's becoming more and more precise and decisive.
    Yep... and I wish we didnt throw the ball so much inthe Miami game. Bell was killingMiami and we stopped giving him touches. Miami had a horrible run D, it was snowing, Bell was gashing them on the ground. We proabably win that game if we didnt pass as much.

I like Haley tho... he has grown on me.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The lights in the room were flipped on, and all the mice scurried away

It is hilarious, where all the knee-jerk, Haley haters went all of a sudden! The guy only had a year, and people here ("Steeler fans", who should know the value of consistency and staying the course) were calling for his head. Not just a few, rogue folks. It felt like the whole Steeler Nation.

Ben played every snap of this season. That is a result of Haley's system (get the ball out quicker), and Ben's maturation as a QB. He has become a more cerebral player.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    It is hilarious, where all the knee-jerk, Haley haters went all of a sudden! The guy only had a year, and people here ("Steeler fans", who should know the value of consistency and staying the course) were calling for his head. Not just a few, rogue folks. It felt like the whole Steeler Nation.

Ben played every snap of this season. That is a result of Haley's system (get the ball out quicker), and Ben's maturation as a QB. He has become a more cerebral player.
    Its what we do.... the OC is an easy scapegoat. I didnt like Haley early on this year but he proved me wrong and I like what I'm seeing. I've never been a hire, fire type of guythough.. every coach should get 3 years IMO to see if theresystem works unless its its hot garbage like the OL.

Legend

User Info Menu

Count me as still not a Haley fan. The only good that's happened this season is allowing Ben to call more of the plays. Clearly Ben makes quicker reads and knows where he wants to go with the ball when he gets to call the play at the LOS. But we've seen that from Ben in the no huddle for years and most of us have wanted more for years. So I'm not giving Haley too much credit there.

Haley's personnel/play calling isn't all that impressive imho. I put more credit in the improvements on the OLine, AB, and Bell. And the health of Heath toward the second half of the season for the turnaround.

Seems like things are coming together a little so I'm ok with keeping Haley. But if we replaced him, I wouldn't b upset either.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I know this is blasphemy to many Steeler fans, but I liked the Ben that "managed the game" even though he really didn't just "manage" the game. He was efficient and effective in the pocket and outside the pocket, the offense could run the ball and gave Ben play-action options that until late this season he didn't have for the past few years as the Steelers tried to replace Bettis and no running back was really the threat a defense needed to account for.

It seems Bell is going to be that threat and I'm excited to see next years offense build on what was happening at the end of this year. Bell is going to have to be accounted for in the passing game and the running game by defenses, he reminds me of Roger Craig from having to defend him, both as a receiver and a runner. This will only make Ben that much more dangerous, I believe we'll see Ben's continued success increase even more next year. Contrary to what I believed a few years ago, Ben may be able to play excellent football into his late 30s and keep the window open for the Steelers.

Edit: Based on Ben's transformation, Landry Jones may have been drafted too early as Ben may be playing for many more years and I doubt Jones will want to sit around waiting his turn.

Pappy
    Maybe Jones was used to motivate Ben? LOL....

Watching these playoff games and it sure seems like teams are running their way to victory. Phillip Rivers had 12 completions and they put up 27 points. 2 rushing TDs

NO also relied on their rushing attack...

The game is still about balance...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Count me as still not a Haley fan. The only good that's happened this season is allowing Ben to call more of the plays. Clearly Ben makes quicker reads and knows where he wants to go with the ball when he gets to call the play at the LOS. But we've seen that from Ben in the no huddle for years and most of us have wanted more for years. So I'm not giving Haley too much credit there.

Haley's personnel/play calling isn't all that impressive imho. I put more credit in the improvements on the OLine, AB, and Bell. And the health of Heath toward the second half of the season for the turnaround.

Seems like things are coming together a little so I'm ok with keeping Haley. But if we replaced him, I wouldn't b upset either.
    That makes no sense.
    His only glaring mistake this year was letting Mike Adams single-handedly wreck the month of September for his offense. They went 8-4, by making that one change.

You seem to give everyone else credit (Ben, the O-line, AB, Bell, Heath) for and not give the coach of the entire unit any.