Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Steelers will draft 15th in round 1.

Legend

User Info Menu

2014 NFL Mock Draft: Another vote for Louis Nix III

By Neal Coolong on Jan 6 2014

What is the value of today's nose tackle? Many expect the Steelers to value it highly enough to use the 15th overall pick in the draft on it.

Does the thought of drafting what's essentially become a two-down player in today's NFL scare you?

If the answer is yes, do not read any further.

NFL Draft Geek has mocked Notre Dame nose tackle Louis Nix III to the Steelers with the 15th overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft.

Let the controversy ensue.

Fact: The Steelers had the 21st ranked rush defense in the NFL in the 2014 season. Fact: The Steelers have seen their nickel back on the field on at least twice as many snaps as their nose tackle over the last five years, at least.

Drafting a player who simply doesn't play often (base defenses are currently undergoing a redefinition across the league) at the 15th overall spot could be seen by some as detrimental to the idea of growth, not to mention Steve McLendon fits more of the mold of a guy who could be on the field more than two downs - just not at the nose tackle position.

Nix appears to be an outstanding athlete, showing quickness not often seen in a player his size. But he won't have another position on the defensive line.

We'll leave it to you to debate on this glorious Mock Draft Monday. Is a nose tackle worth the 15th overall pick, considering the shoddy state of the Steelers' run defense, but knowing he would likely only play in the base defense on first and second downs, as well as short-yardage situations?

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014-nfl-draft/2014/1/6/5279258/2014-nfl-mock-draft-steelers-louis-nix[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    2014 NFL Mock Draft: Another vote for Louis Nix III

By Neal Coolong on Jan 6 2014

What is the value of today's nose tackle? Many expect the Steelers to value it highly enough to use the 15th overall pick in the draft on it.

Does the thought of drafting what's essentially become a two-down player in today's NFL scare you?

If the answer is yes, do not read any further.

NFL Draft Geek has mocked Notre Dame nose tackle Louis Nix III to the Steelers with the 15th overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft.

Let the controversy ensue.

Fact: The Steelers had the 21st ranked rush defense in the NFL in the 2014 season. Fact: The Steelers have seen their nickel back on the field on at least twice as many snaps as their nose tackle over the last five years, at least.

Drafting a player who simply doesn't play often (base defenses are currently undergoing a redefinition across the league) at the 15th overall spot could be seen by some as detrimental to the idea of growth, not to mention Steve McLendon fits more of the mold of a guy who could be on the field more than two downs - just not at the nose tackle position.

Nix appears to be an outstanding athlete, showing quickness not often seen in a player his size. But he won't have another position on the defensive line.

We'll leave it to you to debate on this glorious Mock Draft Monday. Is a nose tackle worth the 15th overall pick, considering the shoddy state of the Steelers' run defense, but knowing he would likely only play in the base defense on first and second downs, as well as short-yardage situations?

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014-nfl-draft/2014/1/6/5279258/2014-nfl-mock-draft-steelers-louis-nix[/URL]
    4 things...

1--I would be shocked if Nix is still on the board at 15
    2--From the above article, Fact: The Steelers have seen their nickel back on the field on at least twice as many snaps as their nose tackle over the last five years, at least. How can that be? That would mean their NT is only on the field 1 down per opponents procession.

3--To me, the biggest value of having Nix at NT to the Steelers could be what he does for Cameron Heyward. Right now, Heyward is the only lineman who would garner a double team. With Nix Inside next to him, that wont ever happen. Think about that.

4--NFL Draft Geek? What are his credentials? My bet, just a fan like all of us here.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Gerry Dulac's Steelers chat transcript: 1.8.14

PeteFromPeters: Gerry, I know it's foolhardy to compare potential draft picks this early, but...Why the outrageous love for A&M's Mike Evans? He's only 2 inches taller than PSU's Allen Robinson, and about 1/10 as athletic. I'm not sure either is a first rounder, but in my opinion, Robinosn is superiur. Any thoughts? I ask because I'd like to see Pgh take a WR in Rd 1.

Gerry Dulac: Well, I think you pointed up the main reason -- Mike Evans is 2 inches taller. Look, I Ilike Allen Robinson too, he's very athletic with great body control and has good size. But if the Steelers can get a 6-foot-5, 225-pound wide receiver who is a former basketball player, then that's what I'm taking.

I've stated on many instances I think the Steelers need to take a tall receiver in the first round. Especially when they have the 15th pick.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/01/08/Gerry-Dulac-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-1-8-14/stories/2014010801310000000#ixzz2pq3TeDQL[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha