Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 103

Thread: Steelers will draft 15th in round 1.

  1. #41
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Totally agree with your assessemnt on Nix. The games I saw him against the best opponenhts he was unimpressive. He would be a major reach at 15. I would prefer to see us take Daquan Jones (PSU) or Dan McCullers (Tenn) later in the draft.

    A top WR or TE would be my choice.
    I'm curious who you saw him go against where he was unimpressive. I want to youtube it myself.

    Passing on Nix at 15 would be a HUGE mistake IMO. Would you pass on Haloti Ngata at 15? Ask Luke Kuechly (he of 24 tackles in one game), whether he approves of his team's decision to draft Star Lotulelei, last year.

  2. #42
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,044
    Kovacevic: Tomlin has tough tasks to tackle

    By Dejan Kovacevic
    Published: Monday, Dec. 30, 2013

    • What about defense?

    Tomlin brushed off my question suggesting the Steelers have more work to do building up the defense than the offense — “The numbers don't support that” — but I'll stand by it.

    Go across the Steelers' starting 11 on offense, and you're looking at the imminent loss of Emmanuel Sanders as the only gaping hole, especially after Tomlin threw support Monday behind Kelvin Beachum at left tackle. Add one impact receiver, and it's plenty enough to win.

    As burgeoning guard David DeCastro told me Monday, “We're only just getting started with where this offense can go.”

    But man, with the defense, it's hard to know where to start: If Ryan Clark goes, who will replace him? Shamarko Thomas? Is Ike Taylor's push for safety to be taken seriously or mostly dismissed, as Tomlin seemed to do Monday? Can Steve McLendon really play nose tackle in a 3-4? If not, how about end? Can Jason Worilds stay healthy long enough to make you forget LaMarr Woodley? Will anyone offer a little help for Lawrence Timmons? More Larry Foote at age 34? Let Ziggy Hood walk?

    And, wow, what if Troy Polamalu passes on $10.9 million and retires?

    Ask me, and all other factors being equal, I'm taking an inside linebacker or corner with that 15th pick in the draft.

    http://triblive.com/sports/dejankova...#axzz2ozsbH6FH

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    Oh I did not know Holmes would like to say with the Jets. Interesting. Figured he would want out of there. Guess it is not as bad as the media makes it look to us fans. Most players seemed VERY happy Rex was sticking around in the locker room video I seen. Back to drafting another WR I guess. Oh the other "WR" I like but might be to expensive is McCluster which is a FA.
    Lots of Jamaicans in NYC ... maybe that good "Ganja" is an added bonus for 'Stonio

  4. #44
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Ohio: On the Stairway TO SEVEN!!!
    Posts
    1,624
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I'm curious who you saw him go against where he was unimpressive. I want to youtube it myself.

    Passing on Nix at 15 would be a HUGE mistake IMO. Would you pass on Haloti Ngata at 15? Ask Luke Kuechly (he of 24 tackles in one game), whether he approves of his team's decision to draft Star Lotulelei, last year.
    The deal with Nix is this: he would be a reach... if he wasn't in a position of need for the Steelers. Realistically, Nix solves the problem we had with the departure of Big Snack and solves the problem of the experiment with McClendon (which had limited positive results). McClendon is good depth and insurance for the DL, but he's not a guy who will go every play. Plus, drafting Nix may make it easier for the Steelers to extend Heyward when the time comes and will make the DL stronger, freeing up the rest of the D to do their things more effectively.

    If the Steelers feel that no one will draft him before 25, it also leaves the option of trading down and getting back that 3d that was traded off last year (very easily done between picks 20 and 25). If someone jumps in front and grabs Nix, it opens up the option of drafting a CB (many of the best CBs in this draft are showing up between 20 and 25 in many mock drafts).

    And, no, we will not be going after a player for the O in the first. The line (accounting for 40% of our need on O) is set, QB, RB and TE are all set, as is #1 WR. Why would the Steelers use a #1 pick on a position of non-need if they've been successful at getting players for the position in the 3d and 6th Rounds? Bear in mind that this years crop is projected to be unusually deep. Also, that likely plays against Sanders and his chances of getting a big deal on the open market. If he finds the market for a marginally talented #2 or #3 WR too tight, it might just bring the Steelers back into contention for his services (even though, I could personally take or leave his vaunted services).

    Still, the Steelers are largely set on O and, unless Jake Matthews was to fall into our lap at #15, their would be no reason to take a player for the O in the 1st, or even the 2d, if you have demonstrated need on the line and, especially, in the secondary, where 3/4 of the current starting lineup is not likely to be here past the 2015 season.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy View Post
    The deal with Nix is this: he would be a reach... if he wasn't in a position of need for the Steelers. Realistically, Nix solves the problem we had with the departure of Big Snack and solves the problem of the experiment with McClendon (which had limited positive results). McClendon is good depth and insurance for the DL, but he's not a guy who will go every play. Plus, drafting Nix may make it easier for the Steelers to extend Heyward when the time comes and will make the DL stronger, freeing up the rest of the D to do their things more effectively.

    If the Steelers feel that no one will draft him before 25, it also leaves the option of trading down and getting back that 3d that was traded off last year (very easily done between picks 20 and 25). If someone jumps in front and grabs Nix, it opens up the option of drafting a CB (many of the best CBs in this draft are showing up between 20 and 25 in many mock drafts).

    And, no, we will not be going after a player for the O in the first. The line (accounting for 40% of our need on O) is set, QB, RB and TE are all set, as is #1 WR. Why would the Steelers use a #1 pick on a position of non-need if they've been successful at getting players for the position in the 3d and 6th Rounds? Bear in mind that this years crop is projected to be unusually deep. Also, that likely plays against Sanders and his chances of getting a big deal on the open market. If he finds the market for a marginally talented #2 or #3 WR too tight, it might just bring the Steelers back into contention for his services (even though, I could personally take or leave his vaunted services).

    Still, the Steelers are largely set on O and, unless Jake Matthews was to fall into our lap at #15, their would be no reason to take a player for the O in the 1st, or even the 2d, if you have demonstrated need on the line and, especially, in the secondary, where 3/4 of the current starting lineup is not likely to be here past the 2015 season.
    Great post Buck and you make some excellent points. However i feel as though Nix could very well give us Hampton type production and therefore would not be a reach at all at 15. And i also would not pass on an exceptionally talented receiver with size to put on the field with Brown if Nix were off of the board.

    I mean honestly,... with Ben finally showing signs of playing like a polished passer to a degree,... i think a player like Mike Evans or the Kid from Florida State (should he declare) would be an exceptional pick at 15 and immediately put us in the position to actually be dominant on offense with a healthy O-line and Bell being productive.

  6. #46
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I'm curious who you saw him go against where he was unimpressive. I want to youtube it myself.

    Passing on Nix at 15 would be a HUGE mistake IMO. Would you pass on Haloti Ngata at 15? Ask Luke Kuechly (he of 24 tackles in one game), whether he approves of his team's decision to draft Star Lotulelei, last year.
    Nix is not close to being Ngata, that is crazy talk. I don't think he is close to Lotulelei either.

    I'd like to ask you what game against a really good team did you ever see Nix dominate? Just look at last year's game against Alabama where he played against Off Linemen who will also be playing on Sundays. He was a complete non-factor. He got handled which is why T'eo always had a Guard on him at MLB.

    Our problems this year were lack of pass rush and the inability to get a takeaway. Drafting Nix doesn't fix either of those in a league that will pass more and more going forward. We can get a NT is Round 2 or later.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  7. #47
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Nix is not close to being Ngata, that is crazy talk. I don't think he is close to Lotulelei either.

    I'd like to ask you what game against a really good team did you ever see Nix dominate? Just look at last year's game against Alabama where he played against Off Linemen who will also be playing on Sundays. He was a complete non-factor. He got handled which is why T'eo always had a Guard on him at MLB.

    Our problems this year were lack of pass rush and the inability to get a takeaway. Drafting Nix doesn't fix either of those in a league that will pass more and more going forward. We can get a NT is Round 2 or later.
    Well said. But i don't think there is any DB worth taking at #15 in this draft.

    I think it will be great if Steelers can trade down and get additional pick in third Rd. I would like Steelers to draft an athletic TE if they trade down or LT if they stay put. Load on Defense in later rounds.

    I have not seen Nix play much but i have read on other Steelers forum or maybe this forum that he got dominated by under-sized Navy O-linemen. If true i hope Steelers stay away from him.
    Steelers Draft
    Rd 1: Mike Evans - WR
    Rd 2: Kyle Van Noy - ILB/OLB
    Rd 3c: Philip Gaines - CB
    Rd 4: Taylor Hart - DE
    Rd 5: Justin Ellis - DT
    Rd 5c:Xavier Grimble -TE

  8. #48
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,456
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Ben had faith in Sanders and made him better, if he would have made a couple crucial catches we'd all be singing his praises. Wheaton was barely on the field, difficult to make someone better when he's on the bench. Ben continued to go to Sanders regardless of the drops which shows confidence in the player. We need to look no farther than Mike Wallace to see that having Ben is extremely beneficial to a receiver.

    Heck Wallace and Sanders had nearly identical stats with Wallace out gaining him by about 175 yards and Sanders had one more TD. If Sanders makes two more catches (the ones that don't cost us a game) we'd be praying and hoping to keep him. The fans may be mad at him, but I am almost positive that Ben isn't and would love for the front office to keep him and Cotchery.

    Pappy
    Just like I said...Those drops were on Sanders. How does BB make him not drop them. "Sanders" has to have it. Playing with BB just doesn't give him the skill of being clutch. Confidence in Sanders because BB went back to him? There are so many receivers on the field. You have your progressions. When that guy is open you throw it. So Sanders has key drops...Rounding off & quiting on routes....And Wheaton STILL can't get on the field. Wheaton was on the bench for many reasons...Wheaton put himself there.


    Sanders will want more money than he is worth. He will never overtake Brown & is less of a WR. Let him walk & hope Wheaton turns out to be what you thought he would be. However...The Steelers will still be mising the physical WR that will benefit from AB. That isn't Sanders, Wheaton, or Cotchery...He isn't on the roster. They want to put the offense in the "elite" category...They need to go get another WR & a TE that could flex out while Miller is here. 12 personnel becomes the base offense & that formula will make them a contender starting in '14.

    Wallace isn't the example of BB making a WR better. Wallace followed the smell of money & signed on with a lesser QB. If Wallace played with Aaron Rodgers everyone in here would be saying why did we let him get away.



  9. #49
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,456
    If Nix was Ngata...I would be saying trade up for him! Nix isn't Ngata...Nix isn't Casey Hampton. If the Steelers traded outside Top 25 I might consider him.



  10. #50
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,332
    Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    Well said. But i don't think there is any DB worth taking at #15 in this draft.

    I think it will be great if Steelers can trade down and get additional pick in third Rd. I would like Steelers to draft an athletic TE if they trade down or LT if they stay put. Load on Defense in later rounds.

    I have not seen Nix play much but i have read on other Steelers forum or maybe this forum that he got dominated by under-sized Navy O-linemen. If true i hope Steelers stay away from him.
    The Navy game was the last one I saw him play and he did little. IMO he will not command a double team by opponents.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •