Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers will draft 15th in round 1.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy View Post
    Remember who told everyone this: we will NOT be taking a player on offense in either of the first two rounds!

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't take one in either of the first two DAYS. If the WR crop is really as good and deep as advertised, we won't need to take one until the top of Day 3 anyway. Let's find out what we have with Wheaton, Moye and (possibly) Justin Brown before we give away the draft to a position where we might only need depth.

That said, this is as good a pre-combine draft as I've seen. Nix is a Domer and the Irish have a fairly credible calling card with recent players they have sent to the NFL. So, if Nix was there at #15, I'd be comfortable with taking him, at this point (of course, that is subject to change).

It is almost certain the Steelers need a CB with one of their first two picks and probably need at least two or three of their selections devoted to the DB corps in this draft. By the end of the 2015 season, Clarkie, Troy and Ike will have all played they last games as Pittsburgh Steelers. The youth movement in the secondary must begin with the 2014 Draft, and the Steelers are kidding themselves if they believe otherwise.

I'm going to post (hopefully before the playoff games this weekend) a position-by-position analysis of where the Steelers are at on their current roster. The sneak peek I can offer is that I feel as if the O is in good shape, all around, and that depth is the only overriding concern, while the D needs an infusion of youth in the trenches and the secondary and, if certain cards play as I might speculate, the D might need a full-scale youth movement.
    Nix is a 25-30 kind of talent in a weak draft for 3-4 NTs. He isn't worth a 15. That isn't a typical Steeler kind of pick. Nor is taking DBs in the high first. It wouldn't shock me if the Steelers grab a guy like CJ Mosley-ILB, or even a top notch WR/TE talent if they deem that the most explosive player on the draft board. Shoot, OLB isn't off the table. But, reaching for a 2 down NT isn't how the Steelers have become great.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Nix is a 25-30 kind of talent in a weak draft for 3-4 NTs. He isn't worth a 15. That isn't a typical Steeler kind of pick. Nor is taking DBs in the high first. It wouldn't shock me if the Steelers grab a guy like CJ Mosley-ILB, or even a top notch WR/TE talent if they deem that the most explosive player on the draft board. Shoot, OLB isn't off the table. But, reaching for a 2 down NT isn't how the Steelers have become great.
    Can you explain why Nix isn't that good? Because at various points during this year, he was showing up in the top 15 in every mock, and a lot had him sneaking in the top 10. He would answer needs at: NT (McLendon or Woods are stop-gaps), ILB (letting that guy run free to the football), and possibly one DE (if as a lot of people think, McLendon could make the switch).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

BB hasn't made Sanders or Wheaton a great WR. You have to have the skills to play. Sanders will be leaving. Wheaton showed nothing to get himself on the field. If Cotchery is retained they have a pretty good #3 & hopefully Wheaton...At some point in time could assume that role. They need someone opposite Brown & he didn't show his face in '13 this roster.

As it sits right now..If there is a WR graded at #15...Take him. A TE...Take him. No OL, QB, or RB. Possibly a CB...Just not feeling a Top 15 one just yet. No DL or S. LB possibly. Nix isn't Top 15 talent. Noting excites me about this guy.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Defense, defense, and more defense, the offense is coming together, the defense needs help and for Worilds to sign and Jarvis to take a leap forward.

Pappy
    With the rule changes and alterned interpretations, Ds are too handicapped to matter as much as they used to. Look at all the records broken this season. That being said, I see the first round being spent on D. Who ever is the BAP between CB, ILB, NT and S, or OLB especially if we cut Woodley and don't sign Worilds.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Can you explain why Nix isn't that good? Because at various points during this year, he was showing up in the top 15 in every mock, and a lot had him sneaking in the top 10. He would answer needs at: NT (McLendon or Woods are stop-gaps), ILB (letting that guy run free to the football), and possibly one DE (if as a lot of people think, McLendon could make the switch).
    Your question forced me to do more research on Nix since I haven't seen a ton of him. I based much of my assessment on old scouting reports and what I seen of him in the National Championship. The research I have been doing on him has changed my mind about the pick. I'm going to put up my assessment and change my mock. Good call.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    BB hasn't made Sanders or Wheaton a great WR. You have to have the skills to play. Sanders will be leaving. Wheaton showed nothing to get himself on the field. If Cotchery is retained they have a pretty good #3 & hopefully Wheaton...At some point in time could assume that role. They need someone opposite Brown & he didn't show his face in '13 this roster.

As it sits right now..If there is a WR graded at #15...Take him. A TE...Take him. No OL, QB, or RB. Possibly a CB...Just not feeling a Top 15 one just yet. No DL or S. LB possibly. Nix isn't Top 15 talent. Noting excites me about this guy.
    Ben had faith in Sanders and made him better, if he would have made a couple crucial catches we'd all be singing his praises. Wheaton was barely on the field, difficult to make someone better when he's on the bench. Ben continued to go to Sanders regardless of the drops which shows confidence in the player. We need to look no farther than Mike Wallace to see that having Ben is extremely beneficial to a receiver.

Heck Wallace and Sanders had nearly identical stats with Wallace out gaining him by about 175 yards and Sanders had one more TD. If Sanders makes two more catches (the ones that don't cost us a game) we'd be praying and hoping to keep him. The fans may be mad at him, but I am almost positive that Ben isn't and would love for the front office to keep him and Cotchery.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 12-31-2013 at 02:12 PM.

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Ben had faith in Sanders and made him better, if he would have made a couple crucial catches we'd all be singing his praises. Wheaton was barely on the field, difficult to make someone better when he's on the bench. Ben continued to go to Sanders regardless of the drops which shows confidence in the player. We need to look no farther than Mike Wallace to see that having Ben is extremely beneficial to a receiver.

Heck Wallace and Sanders had nearly identical stats with Wallace out gaining him by about 175 yards and Sanders had one more TD. If Sanders makes two more catches (the ones that don't cost us a game) we'd be praying and hoping to keep him. The fans may be mad at him, but I am almost positive that Ben isn't and would love for the front office to keep him and Cotchery.

Pappy
    I like Sanders and would keep him if the deal was ok. But he will want his "big" payday. And some team will over pay for him I think. Plus I figure if the right WR is in the draft from 1-7 the Steelers grab there man. Also I am crazy and would bring back Holmes on a Steelers friendly deal. He was good with Ben.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    I like Sanders and would keep him if the deal was ok. But he will want his "big" payday. And some team will over pay for him I think. Plus I figure if the right WR is in the draft from 1-7 the Steelers grab there man. Also I am crazy and would bring back Holmes on a Steelers friendly deal. He was good with Ben.
    hmm... holmes.. that's an interesting idea. He stated recently he would take a pay cut to stay with NYJ. Curious to know what he will settle for..

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Oh I did not know Holmes would like to say with the Jets. Interesting. Figured he would want out of there. Guess it is not as bad as the media makes it look to us fans. Most players seemed VERY happy Rex was sticking around in the locker room video I seen. Back to drafting another WR I guess. Oh the other "WR" I like but might be to expensive is McCluster which is a FA.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post

Totally agree with your assessemnt on Nix. The games I saw him against the best opponenhts he was unimpressive. He would be a major reach at 15. I would prefer to see us take Daquan Jones (PSU) or Dan McCullers (Tenn) later in the draft.

A top WR or TE would be my choice.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"