Thread: Steelers sign 7 players to Reserve/Future Contracts

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers sign 7 players to Reserve/Future Contracts

The Pittsburgh Steelers inked seven of the practice squad players to reserve/futures contracts according to the team’s official website. The seven players Pittsburgh’s brass signed to the deal are:

RB Alvester Alexander, WR Justin Brown, WR Kashif Moore, OG Bryant Browning, OG Chris Hubbard, ILB Kion Wilson and S Ross Ventrone

Alexander should receive a shot to compete for a roster spot next fall, and could be in line to snag one if the team does not sign Felix Jones and LaRod Stephens-Howling to new deals this spring.

I am particularly intrigued to see where Justin Brown fits into this team’s long-term plans. After a solid 2013 preseason, Brown spent the entirety of his rookie season on the practice squad. A big-framed receiver with punt return skills, Brown should be able to make Pittsburgh’s 53-man roster in 2014 if he continues to develop and beats out fellow reserve/future contract signee Kashif Moore.

Guards Bryant Browning and Chris Hubbard could face plenty of competition during the upcoming spring and summer. Not only will Nik Embernate return from the knee injury he suffered during training camp, Pittsburgh’s brass could be primed to bring back Fernando Velasco and Cody Wallace as backups at center and guard.

Kion Wilson was on-and-off of Pittsburgh roster throughout the 2013 campaign. Due to Larry Foote biceps injury, Wilson played in seven games for the Steelers and started two at Foote’s ‘buck’ spot. Unfortunately for the former South Florida Bull, he lost playing time and his roster spot to the likes of Vince Williams, Terence Garvin and Stevenson Sylvester.

Ventrone could factor into Pittsburgh’s 2014 plans if the team elects to let Will Allen and Ryan Clark walk during the free agency period. Of course, the former Villanova Wildcat will have to beat out Shamarko Thomas, Robert Golden and a rookie or two for backup and special teams roles if he wants to stay.

[url]http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/12/31/steelers-ink-seven-reservefuture-contracts/[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Nice write up. Appreciate the insight.
    Justin Brown was a player who had a good camp n a good pre-season. He was imho next behind AB at punt returns. A very solid special team player who could develope into a nfl wr . He has a legit shot to make it in 14.

Legend

User Info Menu

.....had a few drinks tonight to kick off new years so forgive me if I don't make sense..., what the #)%#*(&# does the team see in Kion Wilson?
    We seen enough of this guy that he should be bagging groceries at the local Kroger.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Howling won't be able to stay in one piece. He is the typical small back who can't take the NFL physicality. There are exceptions, but I don't think he is one. I agree with Kion. I don't think Alexander is better than Dwyer or Jones but may be cheaper...may be. I like Brown; I think he could develop into a keeper.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Kion Wilson :Headbanger:
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!