Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Troy doesn't know if he will be back next season.

I think Troy will be back. He's still playing pretty well and has been able to stay healthy this season.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I think Troy will be back. He's still playing pretty well and has been able to stay healthy this season.
    which means... historically, the chances of him making it healthy through next year is slim to none. I think he falls into the same category as the other vets mentioned in previous threads... the front office needs to have a conversation with him at the end of the year..with a contract offer that is sufficient according to his current ability...and not according to the "Legend". If he's not willing to do that, then it's time to walk.

I think the Steelers can work out a short extension with Polamalu. Give him more guaranteed money but less total cash this year and reasonable salaries in the later years of the contract. He is still one of the few playmakers on the defense.

He's played ILB to help the team, much like Lake played out of position at CB. He is still a very good SS, and better than any replacement the Steelers will find.

Troy Polamalu On His Steelers Future: “Chips Will Land Wherever They May”

December 27, 2013
    By thacover2

The Pittsburgh Steelers have a set way of doing business, so Troy Polamalu can feel a little comfortable about his future with the team. With a $10.9 million cap hit, Polamalu is fully aware that anything can happen in the business of football.

When asked if this was his last game as a Steeler, or if he would retire, Polamalu told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that he was unsure of his future, and that the “chips would land wherever they may.”

“I don’t know,” the seven-time Pro Bowl safety said Thursday about his future in Pittsburgh. “My intention is to play on Sunday, and we’ll see what happens from there on.”

Might he retire, if he doesn’t like the direction the Steelers are headed following what, at best, will be a second successive 8-8 season?

“I don’t know,” Polamalu said. “I really don’t know. … The chips will land wherever they may after this game, and we’ll see.

“I want to play this game as long and as good as I can play it. Whenever that (retirement) time comes, it will come. I’m not sure when it will come, though.”

Polamalu is aware that the Steelers could immediately cut him, and get $8.5 million of cap relief.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar..._head_15399637

Hall of Famer
    This is the type of delicate situation, where administration makes their money. As said, Troy still can play (as opposed to a James Harrison or Ed Reed). He's not "Troy", but he's still good. They (the FO) have to tread with respectfully, while keeping the ultimate idea that he has to take a paycut. Bottom line: If he's unwilling to budge, he's gone. But I don't think that is his stance. I think he will play ball to an extent.

The reason you HAVE to keep him, is that he certainly can still be effective. Imagine him going a team that has a great front 7. Imagine him in Seattle's secondary (next to Earl Thomas). Imagine Belichick* picking him up, for a championship run. He has another year or two still IMO. But to see him playing in January on a champinoship contender, while we stay at home again next year, would look bad.

Benchwarmer
    He'll stay on a modest pay cut, don't worry guys.

I don't believe that any team is going to pay him 10.9 million dollars to play next year, so that means that him and the Steelers have to work out a fair price for his services. If he's unreasonable the Steelers will cut him and take the cap savings; if the Steelers are unreasonable he'll play elsewhere for less than 10.9 million, but he'll be playing. I think the FO and Troy will work something out.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    No way is Troy worth his salary next year unless he comes into camp the OLD troy!! It boggles my mind how teams/players agree to these contracts where they're at the end of their careers and their salaries are higher than the days they were in their prime. Is it ego??? Invincible Delusions??
    But we had no choice but to keep our aging defensive players because "they knew the scheme and the overly complex defense." We're paying the price because of LeBeau's comfort with veterans and not trusting young players until they are 3-4 years into the system and at the end of their initial contracts.

The question with Troy is whether he is still capable of making those game changing plays that got him this last big contract? When is the last time he has come up with a key interception or play that completely changed the game? That use to be fairly common 4-5 years ago. If he is just going to be a "solid" safety then he needs to take a whole bunch less money or we need to move on.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 12-29-2013 at 09:53 AM.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    But we had no choice but to keep our aging defensive players because "they knew the scheme and the overly complex defense." We're paying the price because of LeBeau's comfort with veterans and not trusting young players until they are 3-4 years into the system and at the end of their initial contracts.

The question with Troy is whether he is still capable of making those game changing plays that got him this last big contract? When is the last time he has come up with a key interception or play that completely changed the game? That use to be fairly common 4-5 years ago. If he is just going to be a "solid" safety then he needs to take a whole bunch less money or we need to move on.
    I agree with you 100% on Troy taking less money next year.

The last big play was the forced fumble last week in the GB Game

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I agree with you 100% on Troy taking less money next year.

The last big play was the forced fumble last week in the GB Game
    If Troy doesn't make the big play then who is? We don't have any playmakers on defense except Troy.

We have 9 INTs and 18 FF.

Troy has 2 INTs and 5 FF.

Let's cut the one player that accounts for 22% of our INTs and close to 28% of our FFs. That's a brilliant idea. I understand thosethat want Troy to take a paycut (i do too) but cut him? Really?

I hear people cry about our defense's inability to create turnovers and yet we want to cut the one player that creates more turnovers than anyone else on the roster... again... brilliant.