Thread: Coaching Staff Must Shouler Blame For Jason Worilds Situation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Coaching Staff Must Shouler Blame For Jason Worilds Situation

Coaching Staff Must Shouler Blame For Jason Worilds Situation

BY DOMINIC DI TOLLA - DEC 24TH, 2013

"It’s frustrating because you know you probably could have helped. When I was coming up, I was told that no matter what I did — good or bad, no matter how much I improved — I wasn’t going to see the field. That’s kind of discouraging. But you have to take it as an opportunity to better yourself in other ways. That’s what I was able to do."

I am not afraid to say that I threw up in my mouth after I read that particular quote by Jason Worilds. The fact that Pittsburgh’s defensive coaches could outwardly display that type of attitude towards their younger players is nothing short of disgusting. At least to me, relegating a player to the bench simply because of their age, not how well they can actually play and contribute in particular situations, is a horrible way to handle personnel at any level of football.

Of course, forcing young players, regardless of how much they can help the team, rot on the sidelines has been the norm during Dick LeBeau’s most recent tenure as the team’s defensive coordinator (2004-present).

Instead of pushing James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley with the motivated youngster, or even putting Worilds in the lineup during pass rushing situations with the two veterans, the coaching staff felt like it was in their best interests to let the former Hokie collect splinters on the bench during the first three years of his professional career.

Finally handed a chance to start on a regular basis, the 2014 unrestricted free agent has not disappointed this fall. The fourth-year outside linebacker leads the team in sacks (8.0), has been stout against the run at left outside linebacker and has emerged as an integral piece of Pittsburgh’s defense.

Sadly, the Steelers are paying the price for their mismanagement just like they did with Keenan Lewis last spring,. Lewis, who was relegated to special teams and the bench much like Worilds was during his first two seasons, finally blossomed into a solid nickel back in 2011 and a competent number two cornerback last fall.

Unable to see legitimate game experience until veterans he was obviously better than (William Gay and Bryant McFadden) left town, the majority of Lewis’ rookie deal (2009-2012) was wasted on the bench behind far inferior players due to the decision-making of LeBeau and other members of the coaching staff.

Final Thoughts

I am sure that there will be members of Steeler Nation who will piss and moan if Worilds leaves for greener pastures during the upcoming offseason. I however am not one of them.

Guys like Lewis and Worilds deserved better with this franchise, and the blame rests on LeBeau and the coaching staff who were either unable or unwilling to properly evaluate them. If Worilds want to go to a franchise where he will earn more money for his efforts, then I say more power to him to take his skill-set where he sees fit.

I will say that it is certainly nice to see how guys like Worilds had a positive attitude about sitting on the bench for no other reason besides their age and their defensive coordinator’s love affair with players in their thirties. Moreover, I am extremely impressed that Shamarko Thomas has held his tongue this fall with the slow-as-molasses Ryan Clark and Will Allen stuck in front of him on the depth chart.

If the Steelers wish to get better and expedite their current rebuilding process, nonsense of the variety which Worilds described above must end. The best player at each position should and deserves to play, regardless of age or chumminess with the coaching staff.

Wasting much of a promising player’s rookie deal while they are forced to learn an outdated and mildly antiquated defensive system benefits nobody involved, and I hope that Pittsburgh’s brass will realize this sooner as opposed to later. Otherwise, pending unrestricted free agents on the defensive side of the ball will continue to leave town after only a year or two of on-field productivity.

[URL]http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/12/24/steelers-selves-blame-jason-worilds-situation/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is a stupid article. In his 2nd season, he got a full 7 starts at OLB. In his 3rd season (last year), he entered camp as a front-runner for a starting job, which he promptly lost to... Jake Reed. If you can't distinguish yourself beyond a former Vikings WR, you haven't much to complain about. He wasn't even able to stand out this camp against a rookie (Jarvis)!

Him acting like it was otherwise, doesn't endear him much to me either.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    This is a stupid article. In his 2nd season, he got a full 7 starts at OLB. In his 3rd season (last year), he entered camp as a front-runner for a starting job, which he promptly lost to... Jake Reed. If you can't distinguish yourself beyond a former Vikings WR, you haven't much to complain about. He wasn't even able to stand out this camp against a rookie (Jarvis)!

Him acting like it was otherwise, doesn't endear him much to me either.
    Yea some what dumb article. Worilds was a china doll there for awhile. Did the lockout hurt him at all also? It seems the last few years that many young players break out in there contract year. I really think that is a mental thing for them. Also how football smart was he coming in. Did it take him longer to get it? It can take a while for a DE to become a NFL OLB after all. Also does he practice well? He seemed to blow most of his chances not the coaches. But I would have liked to see the 3 OLB package when Harrison was here. But no reason to screw with what works when Harrison and Woodley were very good there for a couple years. It is time for the FO to figure this out soon though. If Worilds does leave and plays well like Lewis that is 2 good players that have walked. Not something I want to keep seeing. That will bring back years of a bad team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    In his 3rd season (last year), he entered camp as a front-runner for a starting job, which he promptly lost to... Jake Reed. If you can't distinguish yourself beyond a former Vikings WR, you haven't much to complain about.
    I must have missed this...what was the story with Reed? What happened? I can't find anything about this on the net.

Reed would have been awfully old, having been drafted back in 1991. Doesn't seem likely at all.
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 12-26-2013 at 07:43 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Just a joke

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    I must have missed this...what was the story with Reed? What happened? I can't find anything about this on the net.

Reed would have been awfully old, having been drafted back in 1991. Doesn't seem likely at all.
    It was just a reference to the guy we have on our roster, Chris Carter. i.e. Minnesota Viking WR.

Shoddy attempt at humor.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Like Worilds was going to start over Deebo or Woodley after not getting a training camp in his rookie year. He has distinguished himself by his deeds in ways he was unable to earlier in his career.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the article would've been better suited if it were talking about Heyward....just saying.....
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Sounds stupid.

He paid his duty behind two solid, top NFL LBs. I don't get all the whining. He's getting his chance now.

I don't think Harrison was whining when he was cut multiple times early in his career and had to work his way into a starting role (dominating on special teams for starters). Sounds alot like sour grapes to me.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    Sounds stupid.

He paid his duty behind two solid, top NFL LBs. I don't get all the whining. He's getting his chance now.

I don't think Harrison was whining when he was cut multiple times early in his career and had to work his way into a starting role (dominating on special teams for starters). Sounds alot like sour grapes to me.
    No reason he couldn't had gotten more reps to give Woodley and Harrison a break. Both of the "vets" struggled with injuries the past three years. No one is saying that Worilds should had been the starter but he could had been on the field alot more than he was.

The scenario is much like Keenan Lewis. Guy rarely gets significant time on the field until contract year when he performs to a high level and we lose him. Lewis should have been splitting playing time with Gay who is far from an elite player. Like I always say, these young players need to get more meaningful reps so an informed decision can be made before the end of their contract year. In a cap based league you need to get more out of young players sooner so you don't get backed into extending vets who you are comfortable with.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He did get a lot of reps, Oviedo

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    No reason he couldn't had gotten more reps to give Woodley and Harrison a break. Both of the "vets" struggled with injuries the past three years. No one is saying that Worilds should had been the starter but he could had been on the field alot more than he was.

The scenario is much like Keenan Lewis. Guy rarely gets significant time on the field until contract year when he performs to a high level and we lose him. Lewis should have been splitting playing time with Gay who is far from an elite player. Like I always say, these young players need to get more meaningful reps so an informed decision can be made before the end of their contract year. In a cap based league you need to get more out of young players sooner so you don't get backed into extending vets who you are comfortable with.
    He started half the games in '11 (his 2nd year)! He came back in his 3rd year, and was beaten out by the aforementioned Minnesota Viking WR great. And he still got a good share of playing time. And in his 4th year (this year), a rookie beat him out.

They have good information on his, if you ask me:
    1) He's got good (not great) ability
    2) He's not the most durable player (missing games every year he's been in the league, and something that doesn't typically improve the older you get. BTW, he's out for this week's game.)

Bottom line, there will be a premium for his services. He's young, and he's playing his best in his contract year. No one is going to give him Woodley-money, but he'll get a nice offer from somebody. Though we can ill afford to lose ANY young players, I think this is one where we are going to have to pass.