Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: Coaching Staff Must Shouler Blame For Jason Worilds Situation

  1. #21
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,631
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Fortunately for Worilds, Woodley has turned into a oft-injured and generally unreliable player and now he can take advantage. The coaches are now giving him another chance.
    But the problem is that Worilds has also proved to be oft-injured, all be at a slightly lesser level. That is the dilemma for the Steelers.

  2. #22
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,863
    The real problem is this D takes time to master... everyone points out Keenan Lewis' temper tantrum. Thats one time... one game where he let his emotions get the best of him.

    This whole idea of giving a guy a 3% shot to make his mark is a terrible way to assess talent. How many times has a playwr o D came in and made an impact on day 1? Year 1? ... and how many times has a player turned into a beast or a solid contributor by year 3 or 4?

    A.Smith,.Keisel Harrison, Peezy, Troy, Ike... all these guys had time to develop, sit, learn, etc. The Casey Hamptons and Kendrick bells are the exception. Moving forward we know longer have that luxury of waiting for these kids to develop. I bet money JJ's third year will be a monster barring injury. However, in a lot of other defenses he would show out much earlier because they would givd him less assignments and turn him loose as a blitzer on every down.

    We are turning into a farm team on D like the old Pirates. Not sure how any of you can defend our philosophy in this new NFL. It worked for us before the new CBA but we cant continue down this road or Sylvester and Carter will continue to be our replacements anytime a guy goes down.

  3. #23
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,099
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The 2008 and 2009 drafts probably forced the Steelers to spend money that they didn't really expect to spend because of the lack of production from those two draft classes. Now they are struggling with the cap and retaining their good young players. This off season should be rather interesting.

    Pappy
    100% agree Pappy. Those two drafts caused the Steelers to make decisions they probably would not have made otherwise. Players from those drafts should be major contributors right now. When the young talent is not there, the team has no other choice in order to field a competitive team. They were forced to resign vets for longer deals than perhaps was wise.

  4. #24
    The Steelers will have to clear as much aging vet money from the cap as they can if they wish to get younger...retain their young talent. If the Steelers draft a first round DB, I think it's quite possible the Steelers take the lumps and bruises that come with starting a rookie, and cut Ike unless he is willing to take a huge pay cut.

  5. #25
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,578
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    The real problem is this D takes time to master... everyone points out Keenan Lewis' temper tantrum. Thats one time... one game where he let his emotions get the best of him.

    This whole idea of giving a guy a 3% shot to make his mark is a terrible way to assess talent. How many times has a playwr o D came in and made an impact on day 1? Year 1? ... and how many times has a player turned into a beast or a solid contributor by year 3 or 4?

    A.Smith,.Keisel Harrison, Peezy, Troy, Ike... all these guys had time to develop, sit, learn, etc. The Casey Hamptons and Kendrick bells are the exception. Moving forward we know longer have that luxury of waiting for these kids to develop. I bet money JJ's third year will be a monster barring injury. However, in a lot of other defenses he would show out much earlier because they would givd him less assignments and turn him loose as a blitzer on every down.

    We are turning into a farm team on D like the old Pirates. Not sure how any of you can defend our philosophy in this new NFL. It worked for us before the new CBA but we cant continue down this road or Sylvester and Carter will continue to be our replacements anytime a guy goes down.
    BS!!! Why is it we see week after week veteran players who have been in this system for a long time make bone headed mistakes? Missed assignments? Blown coverages?

    I will give that it is a complex defense, however, it inst so complex that a young player can't come in and contribute. Even veteran's who supposedly have this D mastered make big mistakes weekly.

    This defense has always been about one man's philosophy more so than it being too complex. And that man just doesn't like to play young players unless he is forced too. A players skill set and athleticism sometimes can compensate for his lack of experience or knowledge of a certain defense. But not on this team.

    Again, this 3-4 zone blitz is not more complex than that of the one Nick Saban has been running in college for years. But that would take away from the mystique that is Mr. LeBeau.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Strong! As in....

    1-Jaelen Strong WR Arizona State

  6. #26
    Yes, unfortunately, it is more complex...

    You can't tell me that a guy who can work with college players a maximum of 20 hours per week can make a defense as complex as an NFL D...

    Well, you can tell me, but you would be wrong...

  7. #27
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Yes, unfortunately, it is more complex...

    You can't tell me that a guy who can work with college players a maximum of 20 hours per week can make a defense as complex as an NFL D...

    Well, you can tell me, but you would be wrong...
    Show me how it is more complex? Dont bother...you can't.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Strong! As in....

    1-Jaelen Strong WR Arizona State

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Show me how it is more complex? Dont bother...you can't.
    Because I don't have access to an Alabama defensive play book and a Steelers defensive play book? So I can make a side by side comparison? You are right...I can't...

    But, I'm not the one making an outrageous claim, so I don't think the burden of proof is on me...

    Jarvis Jones played in the same 3-4 defense and couldn't master the assignments...why not?

  9. #29
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,578
    Read this. This is about LeBeau and how he came to use the 3-4 zone blitz and then how Saban and Belichick made it even more complex by introducing pattern-match coverage to it. And Saban has his college players doing this. They change their coverage mid-play based on what the receiver shows them. This is far more difficult/complex to do than to do it pre-snap. Try it some time.


    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8428129/dick-lebeau-evolution-coverage-tactics-zone-blitz
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Strong! As in....

    1-Jaelen Strong WR Arizona State

  10. #30
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Because I don't have access to an Alabama defensive play book and a Steelers defensive play book? So I can make a side by side comparison? You are right...I can't...

    But, I'm not the one making an outrageous claim, so I don't think the burden of proof is on me...

    Jarvis Jones played in the same 3-4 defense and couldn't master the assignments...why not?
    You dont need their play book. If you know the defense you know that there isnt an infinite amount of things you can do with it. It is why you have only seen a handful of things added to it since it's inception. And I have already proven this over and over and over.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Strong! As in....

    1-Jaelen Strong WR Arizona State

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •