Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ron Cook: A new Roethlisberger emerges

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Ron Cook: A new Roethlisberger emerges

Roethlisberger has come a long way.

People really can change.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2...#ixzz2oU7Jbx6Y
    I disagree. Ben hasn't changed. He's always been a decent guy. He was young, somewhat brash, and unwise. Success may have temporarily got to his head too -- which young person wouldn't have that happen? He put himself in risky situations, which let random women claim unprovable rubbish. He' learned from all of this. He's being wiser. He's also matured.

But fundamentally, he's a decent, generous guy and has always been that way.

Quote Originally Posted by bostonsteeler View Post
    I disagree. Ben hasn't changed. He's always been a decent guy. He was young, somewhat brash, and unwise. Success may have temporarily got to his head too -- which young person wouldn't have that happen? He put himself in risky situations, which let random women claim unprovable rubbish. He' learned from all of this. He's being wiser. He's also matured.

That's really the way I see it as well. I'm not the same guy as I was back in my early 20's either- I was waaaaaaaaaaaaay cooler back then.

Steelers want to extend Big Ben

Updated: January 8, 2014,
    By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers president Art Rooney II said a contract extension for Ben Roethlisberger will happen at some point, noting he wants the franchise quarterback to finish his career where he started it.

Steelers president Art Rooney II praised Ben Roethlisberger, whose future in Pittsburgh is secure regardless of the timing of an extension, Scott Brown writes. Blog

"We've got to have Ben retire as a Steeler," Rooney said Wednesday. "There's no doubt about that."

Roethlisberger, who turns 32 in March, has two years left on his contract. The Steelers signed him to an eight-year, $102 million deal in 2008, when he had two years left on his original contract.

Rooney wouldn't commit to the Steelers doing the same this offseason, but he is confident a deal will get done that allows Roethlisberger to accomplish his stated goal of playing his entire career with Pittsburgh.

"When both sides are able to come together on an extension. I don't know when that will be, but there's no doubt we look at Ben as somebody who's going to be here for the long term and hopefully five or more years," Rooney said.

Roethlisberger played every snap this season and threw for 4,261 yards while setting a Steelers record for completions in a season (375) and becoming the franchise's career leader in touchdown passes (219).

Ben Roethlisberger set a Steelers record for completions in a season (375) and became the franchise's all-time leader in touchdown passes (219) in 2013.

He thrived in his 10th season, particularly after the Steelers started running their no-huddle offense. His play was one of the biggest seasons the team went 6-2 in the second half of the season to finish 8-8 and just outside of the playoffs.

Rooney said he is pleased with the direction of the offense, which is a strong indication that Todd Haley will return for a third season as offensive coordinator.

"I think the second year of a new offense, you would hope for progress, and I think that's what we got," Rooney said. "I think Ben showed the kind of leadership that he's capable of both on and off the field, getting through what was a very trying first half of the season. I think he was certainly one of the guys that kept the ship running in the right direction."

Rooney said coach Mike Tomlin is still evaluating his staff and that he would not comment on coaches until that process is complete. Tomlin already has made one change, firing offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr. on Friday after just one season.

"We feel good about the coaching staff in general, and we'll see where we go," Rooney said. "I certainly like the way we finished the season. There are a lot of things we can build on, in particular a lot of young players showed that they have what it takes to be good players in this league. We're excited about getting started on next year."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...erger-contract

Starter

I mostly agree with this but sadly, Ben will always have those allegations follow him to some extent. I can't imagine living my own 20's as a multi-millionaire with the media and social media following my every move, waiting to pounce. All the people who threw and continue to throw stones at Ben for his immature actions need to take a good look at how they acted in their 20's and think about what it would have been like under a microsocope.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I mostly agree with this but sadly, Ben will always have those allegations follow him to some extent. I can't imagine living my own 20's as a multi-millionaire with the media and social media following my every move, waiting to pounce. All the people who threw and continue to throw stones at Ben for his immature actions need to take a good look at how they acted in their 20's and think about what it would have been like under a microsocope.
    yeah... but this is why he is paid 100 mill and this is why people will continue to throw stones.

Ben is a big boy and he is too high up on his money mountain for those stones to hit him.

I would have come across really badly. But then, I think $100mil would have softened the blow of the media drama a bit, had there been any.

Legend
    I would have come across really badly. But then, I think $100mil would have softened the blow of the media drama a bit, had there been any.
    yeah.. I would love to have a chance to live my life in the spotlight with $100 mill... I would be notorious but I wouldn't hear it because I would be too busy counting money in my sound proof bank vault.

Can you imagine what it would have been like if social media had been around during Mike Tyson's heyday?

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Can you imagine what it would have been like if social media had been around during Mike Tyson's heyday?
    What about Babe Ruth's? They said that guy could party.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Roethlisberger ranked 11th among quarterbacks in the NFL

by Ray Fittipaldo

Pro Football Focus has some end-of-the-season thoughts on the Steelers, including some interesting insight into the play of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who finished the season as the 11th-rated QB in the league, according to PFF. Thatís a pretty good grade considering the rough start Roethlisberger encountered. Roethlisberger was the 7th-rated QB last season.

Here are some other notes on Roethlisberger:

*His effectiveness under pressure declined. While under pressure he completed 49.7% of his passes, down from 56.5% a year ago. But he is still ranked 8th among all quarterbacks under pressure. I suspect much of that ineffectiveness came in the first part of t he season when he didnít stand much of a chance with the swinging gate at left tackle, but itís something to keep an eye on.

* While Roethlisbegrerís effectiveness under pressure declined, he was sharp from an accuracy standpoint. PFF developed an accuracy percentage that takes into consideration dropped passes, throw aways, spikes, batted passes and passes where the QB was hit as thrown. Roethlisberger had an accuracy percentage of 74.7% this season, fifth best in the league.

*Roethlisberger also suffered from an inordinate number of drops from his receivers, tight ends and running backs. Only five quarterbacks in the league had more dropped passes than the 36 that he had to deal with.

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/...s/201401100005