Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signs of an old, tired defense?

Legend

User Info Menu

Signs of an old, tired defense?

Was browsing through some stats and came across this.
    In our last 3 games we have given up an average of 18 second half points.

Pretty nice site BTW
    [URL]http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/team-stat/defense-by-quarter-category[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Each time I see our guys miss a tackle, a tackle opportunity missed I hear Vince Lombardi in my head with, " what the hell is going on out there, every body is grabbing, no one is tackling. "

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post

Pretty nice site BTW
    [URL]http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/team-stat/defense-by-quarter-category[/URL]
    I want to bring up the elephant in the room. Yes, our D isn't what it once was, I will agree, BUT, let's not ignore the fact that the rules, and the way refs call the game, has changed dramatically, causing there to be ALL KINDS of records broken for poor defense and production on offense. THIS also has contributed to the Steelers' weaker D. You can't swing a dead cat by the tail without hitting a plethora of news lows in D, and new highs in O. The stats are overwhelming. Dallas is on pace for touting the worst ever D #s. Passing records are crumbling like Emmanual Sanders feet. I highly doubt, with the current rules and how the refs are calling the game, that we will EVER see D stats like we have from the 2005 - 2010 Steelers. It's just not acheivable these days, and never will be again. I don't think the Steelers are THAT bad of a defense, but the norm is for them to give up over 30 points, it seems. We used to rarely give up more than 17.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yes, offense is on the rise and defenders have become the bad guys. Since overall scoring is trending up, maybe the best way to measure our D is not to compare to last year or all time, but actually compare it to others in the league during the same year. I still believe in that as a respectable metric, maybe not so much yards per game but definitely points per game. Whoever scores the most points wins. With that said, our D is 22 in ppg and 18 in ypg...definite decline from last year.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Pretty nice site BTW
    Pete, the only guys over thirty are Taylor, Clark and Polamalu, Keisel isn't full time any longer the rest are twenty somethings. I don't know about the defense being "old". Taylor and Polamalu had good seasons, but they are past thirty.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Pap, Taylor did not have a good season in my opinion.

Not to be a nitpicker, but Will Allen is over 30

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Remember when Carson Palmer ripped us with the Cards (and Raiders) sayin he knew what was coming? The stats could have a bearing on this. Several other teams have seemed to solve the riddle that is LeBeau. No slight to D.L. as it took awhile for the NFL to catch up. He does change things up, though not as frequently as a fan would like, but he'll generally give the offense something to think about. Maybe the opposing QBs have caught on to his tendencies and that has shown up on our players??

I just don't think the "old and tired" is as old and tired as it is made out to be. Bottom line is it is not on the players as it is with familiarity with the defensive schemes. Every puzzle has a Rosetta Stone, DL's enigma may have been uncovered. I hate to say it, but the mastermind may be close to the end. I did not like to type that btw.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Pretty nice site BTW
    It is a pretty good site. Here's what jumped out at me... I looked due to the Lacy/Bell debate. Unfortunately it was not in our favor. Green Bay averages 28.3 rushing attempts a game to our 24.3. OK, not bad only 4 more attempts. But their yards per game rushing is 131 compared to our 84. This is probably most notable on 3rd down conversions where our playcalling and rushing are abysmal imo.

Legend

User Info Menu

Pap, Taylor did not have a good season in my opinion.

Not to be a nitpicker, but Will Allen is over 30
    Ike had a few bad games around the 3/4 mark of the season, but other than that he's been pretty good, not worth his salary, but he's been pretty good.

Yea, you're right, I forgot about Allen, because I don't see him as a permanent fixture back there moving forward (I wish Thomas would have been getting more snaps, I think the Steelers have a winner in this kid.). I guess what I'm saying is that the generational transition is in full swing and the defense will be very young next year and hopefully, on the rise.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    Remember when Carson Palmer ripped us with the Cards (and Raiders) sayin he knew what was coming? The stats could have a bearing on this. Several other teams have seemed to solve the riddle that is LeBeau. No slight to D.L. as it took awhile for the NFL to catch up. He does change things up, though not as frequently as a fan would like, but he'll generally give the offense something to think about. Maybe the opposing QBs have caught on to his tendencies and that has shown up on our players??

I just don't think the "old and tired" is as old and tired as it is made out to be. Bottom line is it is not on the players as it is with familiarity with the defensive schemes. Every puzzle has a Rosetta Stone, DL's enigma may have been uncovered. I hate to say it, but the mastermind may be close to the end. I did not like to type that btw.
    So apparently other teams have this defense completely figured out but our own players are struggling with it......hmmmm...what's wrong with this picture?