Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ike and Troy to be cut?

Administrator

User Info Menu

I think both stay next year because they both take a pay cut.

Troy gets exposed sometimes because his aggressiveness but do you all realize that he has caused 7 turnovers by himself this year? We constantly whine about the defense not being able to create turnovers but we want to cut the guy that creates more turnovers than anyone else on the roster?

As far as Ike goes... he's a really solid player and he has been for the majority of his career. However, I just can't see the Steelers paying Ike over 10 million dollars / year when he creates no turnovers.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Stupid idea to cut either.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Ha......you're not alone. Most Steeler fans think the Steelers are keeping all the good players this off season. That there is no way they will cut anyone who is a fan favorite or is a good player even if they are facing the worst off season cap situation they have ever had. Hilarious!!!

Manfred Mann wrote a song about this back in the day.
    Springsteen wrote it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    OMG, do any of you watch the games sober?
    Troy is basically the only spark of life this mediocre defense has in it.
    Ike has lost a step and keeping him only delays Allens development.
    Ike is not and has never been a playmaker, his hands are stone.
    He also seems to be half blind because he never picks up the ball in the air and rarely ever deflects a pass.
    You guys fall in love with these vets and think the defense will suffer without them.
    Maybe the defense improves without them.
    the answer to your first question is.....rarely

but I think Troy is worth keeping around. His passionate play I believe is an inspiration to other younger players who idolize his commitment. I believe guys like Shamarko feed off being around these type of players. His every being is about winning and playing defense for Dick LeBeau. You can damn near taste the controlled anger coming off 43 like the steam from his helmet. It has been a pleasure to watch his performances throughout the years and I look forward to one or two more.

I say "legend" freely but I definitely mean it when I say it in association to Troy Polamalu. The guy is truly a black n gold lifer to me.

Ike is a great football player but I think it is time to cut ties, which is difficult to say because he has been so good for so long.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    OMG, do any of you watch the games sober?
    Troy is basically the only spark of life this mediocre defense has in it. (Heyward and Worilds say "HELLO")
    Ike has lost a step and keeping him only delays Allens development. (since they play opposite sides, have different responsibilities, I'd say that this statement is a falsity)
    Ike is not and has never been a playmaker, his hands are stone. (And yet he's better than anyone we have now, including Allen ... need to have a replacement before you cut him)
    He also seems to be half blind because he never picks up the ball in the air and rarely ever deflects a pass.
    You guys fall in love with these vets and think the defense will suffer without them.
    Maybe the defense improves without them. (This may actually be true ... assuming you have replacements ready to go .. otherwise, you are cutting your nose to spite your face ... so to speak .. obviously)
    Just pointing some things out

Legend

User Info Menu

Hello, Gay plays CB doesn't he?
    As long as Ike is starting, how does a CB get any playing time?
    We all know that playing nickel/dime DB isn't the same as a starting CB in our base.
    Ike IS NOT worth the $$$$$$ he will be due next year.
    If he takes a major pay cut, then keep him and reduce his role to make way for younger players.

Backup

User Info Menu

So, you're contention is that Gay is better than Ike?
    Also, it almost universally accepted that Ike will have to take a pay cut in order to stay. My personal belief is that he will take the cut, the team will draft a CB in the early rounds to learn from and eventually replace him and Gay will remain exactly what he has been ... a serviceable back up who can start in a pinch.
    Interesting that you did not address how Ike starting has hindered Allen's development rather than the fact that Allen was hurt half of the year. Or the fact that Troy is not the "only" spark plug on Defense since Heyward and Worilds have played lights out since being elevated to starters at their natural positions.
    Further, please understand that the team has spent numerous picks on Ike's eventual replacement: Keenan Lewis, Curtis Brown, Terry Hawthorne and Allen. In fact, I'd say that initially it was believed that the eventual CB duo would be Lewis or Brown and Allen. Lewis didn't develop until the last year of his contract, Brown never developed, Hawthorne just didn't get it and that leaves us with Allen and a pick (mostly likely two) this year as CBs of the future.
    Last edited by SteelBuckeye; 12-24-2013 at 03:15 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    So, you're contention is that Gay is better than Ike?
    Also, it almost universally accepted that Ike will have to take a pay cut in order to stay. My personal belief is that he will take the cut, the team will draft a CB in the early rounds to learn from and eventually replace him and Gay will remain exactly what he has been ... a serviceable back up who can start in a pinch.
    Interesting that you did not address how Ike starting has hindered Allen's development rather than the fact that Allen was hurt half of the year. Or the fact that Troy is not the "only" spark plug on Defense since Heyward and Worilds have played lights out since being elevated to starters at their natural positions.
    Further, please understand that the team has spent numerous picks on Ike's eventual replacement: Keenan Lewis, Curtis Brown, Terry Hawthorne and Allen. In fact, I'd say that initially it was believed that the eventual CB duo would be Lewis or Brown and Allen. Lewis didn't develop until the last year of his contract, Brown never developed, Hawthorne just didn't get it and that leaves us with Allen and a pick (mostly likely two) this year as CBs of the future.
    as far as Lewis' development goes...better late than never as I always say. As I stated previously, they should have kept Lewis and let Ike go, especially if he was drafted to replace him as you stated. Ike is likely gone at the end of the year anyways (unless he takes a pay cut)... so all we really did was groom Lewis for the saints. As for Gay vs Ike... Yea, I'd say Gay is as good or better than Ike this year.
    As for Hawthorne.. it seemed to me like he was injured through much of preseason, so I'm not sure how he "Didn't get it'? I am with you all the way on Curtis Brown though... that was a bust of a pick. It happens from time to time.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Neither of them will get cut. They'll both acept some sort pay cut and will stay. Surely they wan't make the same mistake that Harrison made.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Töm87 View Post
    Neither of them will get cut. They'll both acept some sort pay cut and will stay. Surely they wan't make the same mistake that Harrison made.
    I don't see them making the same mistake Harrison made...but there's nobody on this board named "Surely."