Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: This will not be popular....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Really? Considering JJ fell to the 17th pick primarily because of poor work outs (grades), and Mack is being seen as a top 5-10 pick? Ok......
    I think he meant grade out based on game film.
    It seems to me that very few people here put any stock in the combine workouts. I know I don't

Legend

User Info Menu

And you contradict yourself when you post this....

Worlids: "It's frustrating because you know you probably could have helped. When I was coming up, I was told that no matter what I did -- good or bad, no matter how much I improved -- I wasn't going to see the field. That's kind of discouraging. But you have to take it as an opportunity to better yourself in other ways. That's what I was able to do."

feltdizz: What scares me is Lebeau saying he won't change philosophies... with 4 year rookie contracts we have to change. We cant wait until contract years to let players show out.

[URL]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/42143-Rookies-must-know-their-roles-in-cmplex-D[/URL]

Is it complex or is it a philosophy? Jason Worlids says it did matter what he did.
    Its both... a complex D and Lebeaus philosophy are 2 different things.

Legend

User Info Menu

See, that is what separates you and I. You look at numbers and determine ones worth. I see the fact that Jarvis Jones has done what no other rookie OLB has ever done in the teams 3-4 defense.

Too me that makes his numbers very impressive.
    The difference is I dont care about JJ's numbers vs other rookie OLB's. Its well known that we rarely play rookies early on. I'm not discouraged by JJ's stats. However, his numbers are the exception not the norm.

I find it funny that you believe he should have started over Woodley... he even started a few games before being demoted sue to issues with assignments yet you believe a complex D is an excuse.

How many players, coaches and beat writers need to say this is a complex D for you to see its true. Maybe its an excuse vlbut its used so often I'm pretty sure there is some truth to it. I know its easy for you because you are an expert but the guys coming out of college and must not be as smart as you since they disagree.

When you complain about JJ not getting more snaps that is part of the Lebeau philosophy I have a problem with... I hope we adjust the philosophy of playing young guys AND scale back the playbook so our youth can see the field earlier.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Really? Considering JJ fell to the 17th pick primarily because of poor work outs (grades), and Mack is being seen as a top 5-10 pick? Ok......
    JJ fell because of the spinal stenosis. Stop being blind. I love Mack but I promise you 80% of Scouts graded JJ higher last year than they will Mack this year. That is not even taking into consideration the level of competition.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    JJ fell because of the spinal stenosis. Stop being blind. I love Mack but I promise you 80% of Scouts graded JJ higher last year than they will Mack this year. That is not even taking into consideration the level of competition.
    Very familiar with Jones, being a Trojan homer now living in Dawg/YellowJacket land. (Atlanta Ga) Yes, the spinal Stenosis kept him from playing at SC and caused him to fall in the draft Largo,...but trust me,.. the said fall was not as considerable as some would like to believe.

Workouts also do factor into the grading process more so than many would like to believe as well. And as far as level of competition,... it goes both ways,...is it really very difficult to look like a defensive stud on an SEC team surrounded by studs beating the snot out of programs like the Citadel ?

Don't get me wrong Jarvis balled in college. However for me personally after watching them both play i would consider Mack the better prospect. The kid is not only physically talented,..but he is a pure football player with passion for the game. Whereas Jones has always come across as the "I'm big and athletic,...might as well plays sports and get paid" type of player.

Legend

User Info Menu

hey skl,

just curious, how did you come up with having three #4 draft picks in your mock sig?
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not to mention four nine

Four seven is on the slow side, but can easily be ignored. Four eight? You certainly have to pause. Four nine? You've got a lot to mull over.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Four seven is on the slow side, but can easily be ignored. Four eight? You certainly have to pause. Four nine? You've got a lot to mull over.
    Exaaaactly.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Polamalu View Post
    Very familiar with Jones, being a Trojan homer now living in Dawg/YellowJacket land. (Atlanta Ga) Yes, the spinal Stenosis kept him from playing at SC and caused him to fall in the draft Largo,...but trust me,.. the said fall was not as considerable as some would like to believe.

Workouts also do factor into the grading process more so than many would like to believe as well. And as far as level of competition,... it goes both ways,...is it really very difficult to look like a defensive stud on an SEC team surrounded by studs beating the snot out of programs like the Citadel ?

Don't get me wrong Jarvis balled in college. However for me personally after watching them both play i would consider Mack the better prospect. The kid is not only physically talented,..but he is a pure football player with passion for the game. Whereas Jones has always come across as the "I'm big and athletic,...might as well plays sports and get paid" type of player.
    Dude you had us taking Mack in the 2nd round of your mock 2 weeks ago. Stop

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

We will get comps for Wallace, Lewis and Mendy. Not sure what they will be. Just guesses.