Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers Emmanuel Sanders pointing out the non Mike Wallace route

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Emmanuel Sanders pointing out the non Mike Wallace route

I like Sanders. I would not hesitate to keep him at the right price. IMO he will continue to get better plus he seems to have a team first attitude versus a me first attitude.

Steelers Emmanuel Sanders pointing out the non Mike Wallace route
    By Neal Coolong on Dec 19 2013

Ed Mulholland-USA TODAY Sports
    A doubting Steelers fan base will look more at it being a chance to build his reputation more than a genuine desire to be on the field.
    Steelers wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders is talking about injuries. Specifically, his.

Tribune-Review reporter Mark Kaboly talked to Sanders, who is apparently playing through a foot injury he suffered a month ago. Kaboly suggested Sanders could simply shut himself down - much like former Steelers WR Mike Wallace as thought to have done last season, when he missed his first career game due to a hamstring injury in Week 17. Sanders says he'll do no such thing.

"I know if I finish the season healthy, a lot of people are going to come at me," Sanders told Kaboly. "You know, I can shut it down right now if I wanted to, but why? I am going to give it my all every time I step out there."

If fans want to find deeper reason in that, they can. The reality is Sanders does not have a contract next season, and whether he's playing to establish more film to help increase his payday, or he's engaging in self-preservation, the point is the same - it's about him doing what he can to maximize his value.

We can't blame him, but we will anyway. It seems given the choice of playing or not playing, we're probably split on that as well. Some say Sanders - injured or not - should be shut down in favor of getting more snaps to rookie Markus Wheaton. Others will say they'd rather the team finish at .500, meaning they'd win their final two games.

Either way, these issues are things Sanders, and other pending free agents like Ziggy Hood, C Jericho Cotchery and Brett Kiesel, will have to deal with over the final two games of the season.

While it may be better to avoid these kinds of comments altogether, he wouldn't want to appear truculent with the media, either. So he pretty much has no choice but to acknowledge it.

He'll have to acknowledge his production on the field as well, for better or for worse.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I was furious at Sanders after a few key drops but I want to keep him. He will never be more than a #2 or #3 but I'm fine with that as long as we don't overpay for him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Should try and keep this offense together if possible, including Cotchery, giving Ben a consistent set of receivers to work with.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Sanders is gone. It's just that simple. I don't think we miss him nor his lack of big play ability when the game is on the line.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

nothing about that article says team first

Legend

User Info Menu

i would keep the guy too for the right price but i think sanders will, chase the top dollar.
    he's more wallace than brown.

in a way i hope he leaves so we can draft that big stud wr and/or te in the first and second rounds for a change
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Administrator

User Info Menu

I think he's gone and that hurts because I said from the beginning that if the Steelers didn't have all intentions of signing him, then they should have taken the 3rd rounder from the Pats. Now, we're losing another guy without any compensation.

With that being said, Sanders is a #2 at best and a #3 on a lot of teams. He's not worth big money.... not close.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I think he's gone and that hurts because I said from the beginning that if the Steelers didn't have all intentions of signing him, then they should have taken the 3rd rounder from the Pats. Now, we're losing another guy without any compensation.

With that being said, Sanders is a #2 at best and a #3 on a lot of teams. He's not worth big money.... not close.
    I agree, he is probably gone, but if you really look at who he really is and not what Steeler fans expected him to be, as a #2, he's one of the best in the league.

65 rec. 714 yards and 6 TD's are pretty solid numbers. And, he is a pretty good kick returner as well.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Rookie

User Info Menu

We did get compensation:

65 rec. - 714 yards - 6 TDs

And a happy QB having a great season...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    We did get compensation:

65 rec. - 714 yards - 6 TDs

And a happy QB having a great season...
    and don't forget ... no playoffs to boot.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.