Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Emmanuel Sanders pointing out the non Mike Wallace route

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    Sanders has been a little better than I think he is getting credit for. Some suggest he is not a real No. 2 receiver. What would that be? I checked NFL stats, there are 8 teams in the NFL among 32 that have a No. 2 wide receiver who has gained more than Sanders 700 + yards. So in my mind he is in the upper echelon of No. 2 receivers. I think he is replaceable as are 90% of the rest of the players, but I also think he has been among the better players on the Steelers this year and much more of a positive than not. Also gives the team an above average returner.

I think he can and probably will get better. I think he needs to work on his strength IMO, but he has been mostly healthy for the last two years. It's more rare for a player to never be injured, which is what I guess fans think should happen. He won't get a massive Mike Wallace deal. If he came back, they could draft all defense. I think he and Antonio Brown have proven that scoring TDS for them, even both being under six-foot is not a problem.
    Exactly.. every wants three #1 WRs and that isnt possible. Sanders is an above average #2 who knows the playbook and Ben likes him. Fans want Sanders gone because their 3rd round fantasy pick would be a superstar.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Someone mentioned Lima Sweed. Did he try making a comeback with the arena league ? It's too bad things didn't work out for him because I understand he had life troubles in addition to not being able to make it in the NFL. Who doesn't have their troubles but when I see people that have talent above the normal person and things don't pan out for them or accept the God given gifts and utilize them, I do feel remorse for them. Question, when the Redskins signed ARL from us, did they have him as their number 1 or 2 receiver ? Seems like they over paid for that guy and to me, ARL was a number two receiver that every once in a while could make an exceptional play above the norm. I often wondered if we still had Santonio Holmes would we or could we have won the Super Bowl against Green Bay ? I also wonder if we didn't have Mendenhall or Kemoateu on the team if we could or would have won that game.

Legend

User Info Menu

I guess the expectation from some fans is they were hoping to see more clutch plays from him. I don't think anyone would label him 'clutch'.
    Question: would you consider Wes Welker a #1? ... not likely... but he is clutch.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I guess the expectation from some fans is they were hoping to see more clutch plays from him. I don't think anyone would label him 'clutch'.
    Question: would you consider Wes Welker a #1? ... not likely... but he is clutch.
    Was Welker clutch in the SB vs the Giants? Nope.... Welker has always been solid but he is no more clutch than Sanders... he just getd more opportunities due to playing for pass happy teams who check down a ton. Ive seen him fumble punts, drop passes and he stays injured due to playing underneath. He will probably retire after next year due to concussions. Wes Welker was probably a #1 when you look at his stats. Dude was a machine underneath and Brady is struggling without him when you look at his pass production this year vs last year.

WW catches a ton so his drops are overlooked but he damn sure dropped some clutch passes over the years.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 12-27-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wonder if Teebow would make it as a tightend or a underneath type of receiver ? You know the guy can run when he gets the ball.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I wonder if Teebow would make it as a tightend or a underneath type of receiver ? You know the guy can run when he gets the ball.

i am sure he would but who wants a team first guy that is a competitor, a winner, has a strong religious belief and does wonderful things for the community?
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Was Welker clutch in the SB vs the Giants? Nope.... Welker has always been solid but he is no more clutch than Sanders... he just getd more opportunities due to playing for pass happy teams who check down a ton. Ive seen him fumble punts, drop passes and he stays injured due to playing underneath. He will probably retire after next year due to concussions. Wes Welker was probably a #1 when you look at his stats. Dude was a machine underneath and Brady is struggling without him when you look at his pass production this year vs last year.

WW catches a ton so his drops are overlooked but he damn sure dropped some clutch passes over the years.
    Thanks for pointing out one game. Welker is 25th in the league in receptions for a 1st down (0.67). Alshon Jeffery in CHI sports a 0.70 1st down % (players with 50 or more catches). Sanders?, 0.54, good for 38th spot. Point is, the Steelers can do better for a No. 2 WR and that is likely the contract he will seek.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    i am sure he would but who wants a team first guy that is a competitor, a winner, has a strong religious belief and does wonderful things for the community?
    ...who has no interest in playing any position other than QB?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    ...who has no interest in playing any position other than QB?
    I was actually thinking that same thing. If he would humble himself to the needs of what an NFL employer would want, he could really do some things. He'd be the anti-ARE! Maybe, a team could promise him 5 throws a year if he would just accept a role as a receiving TE?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Thanks for pointing out one game. Welker is 25th in the league in receptions for a 1st down (0.67). Alshon Jeffery in CHI sports a 0.70 1st down % (players with 50 or more catches). Sanders?, 0.54, good for 38th spot. Point is, the Steelers can do better for a No. 2 WR and that is likely the contract he will seek.
    Thanks for pointing out one stat...

Sanders has 6 TDs... Jeffery has 7 and Welker has 10.

Point is... we could also do worse.