Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: We didn't need that drama!!!!!!

Rookie

User Info Menu

The correct thing to do was to win the game.

They did.

'Nuff said...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Why didn't Packers start muffing on purpose like 3 plays prior? Just lets Steelers score after the fumble recovery and save themselves three time outs? Why tackle Bell when Steelers had 1st and goal at 5? Bad clock management by Packers rivaled only by even worse clock management by Steelers?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The correct thing to do was to win the game.

They did.

'Nuff said...
    I can't argue that, yea, they won, that's great we're still in it, but except for complete idiocy by an offensive lineman they would have been playing overtime.

Why would anyone advocate giving the ball back to an opponent that is within one score of tying the game when you can run out the clock and attempt an extra point FG to win the game? Ludicrous, IMO to defend this strategy.

If the Steelers are in the same position are you calling for the defense (that hasn't effectively stopped the offense all day) to try and stop the Packers 2 times on the goal line, let them kick a FG to take the lead and maybe get a kickoff (doubtful) or are you saying let them score and get Ben the ball to try and tie it with a minute and change on the clock?

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Why would anyone advocate giving the ball back to an opponent that is within one score of tying the game when you can run out the clock and attempt an extra point FG to win the game? Ludicrous, IMO to defend this strategy.
    It would be interesting to see how many of the defenders of this strategy have Bell on the Fantasy Teams.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

NB, I'm able to seperate Fantasy from Reality. I'm fully in the corner of winding the clock down. But this has been a great debate! I see the merits of both sides as the discussion has gone on. But nothing will make me change my mind that the less time (nearly zero) you give a team to score, the better your chances of winning are.

But of course execution is the biggest point of contention to this entire debate. Squibbing a kick and actually being able to cover it would've changed this entire discussion. The fact that they nearly broke the return for a TD definitely puts a wrench into the "wind the clock and kick a fg" side.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Legend

User Info Menu

once again, can someone that is supporting tomlins decision please explain to me why he didnt go for 2 after scoring the TD?
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    once again, can someone that is supporting tomlins decision please explain to me why he didnt go for 2 after scoring the TD?
    Why would you go for 2? Are you stating that the decision to eschew the FG, due to weather conditions would mean that he would not kick the extra point? That's not exactly sound thinking. You've already put 6 on the board, so even if something goes wrong the Pack are still forced to travel the length of the field and score a TD with no timeouts. Miss the FG (or have it blocked) and you are giving it back to them with a chance to win with a FG.

Let's face it...the chances of a FG miss from there and ensuing long return are not that great. Anyone would admit that. But in a game where a chip shot FG was blocked and a long return at the end of the game did happen, it clearly demonstrates the sense in building a TD lead on a high-percentage play.

You can make an argument to burn clock in this case and that decision would have merit. However, you can make an equally valid argument to put them in a 7-point hole with just over a minute left and no timeouts. It's fundamentally sound and in my opinion, is the call to make all day long. To be bashed for it is absurd and I guarantee that most of you would be critical if he took a knee, opted for the FG, and something did go wrong.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    Look at the tape before you start saying things like the d-linemen stood up and the backers didn't attack the line of scrimmage. Those things simply did not happen. One guy (#57) took a false step outside, which basically took him out of the play and he did make a half-hearted effort, because it was obviously too late.

You guys are trying to justify your own beliefs by stating it was something the Packers were facilitating. Every player in the box looked like they were putting forward an effort to stop the play. Do you think they only wen't 75% full speed in some half-assed attempt to maybe let them score?

Ridiculous.
    When was the last time you saw this offensive line open up a hole that big for a goal line run? To think GB was trying is ridiculous. This situation was just like the in the Pats/Giants last Super Bowl. The Pats let the Giants score so they would have time left on the clock. Don't you remember the Giant's running back trying to stop himself from going into the end zone but fell in anyway. Why is this situation any different? We gave them a chance and were lucky they didn't take advantage ... period.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Of course GB let them score.

It was 2nd and goal from the 1 with 1:25 left in the game and GB just used their last time out.
    If you take a knee for the FG, the max you can run off the clock is 39 seconds which would leave 46 seconds on the clock.
    You have to kick the FG on 3rd just in case of a bad snap,etc...
    So GB receives the KO with 40+ seconds left and no timeouts.
    We all know what this defense has looked like when we go prevent.
    3 passes and GB is in position to tie it up.
    It's common sense to score the TD, but not smart to not squibb it down the middle of the field.
    That is the only thing i question Tomlin on.....

Just rewatched the TD and AJ Hawk was unblocked(Gilbert whiffed) and didnt even try to tackle Bell.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Of course GB let them score.

It was 2nd and goal from the 1 with 1:25 left in the game and GB just used their last time out.
    If you take a knee for the FG, the max you can run off the clock is 39 seconds which would leave 46 seconds on the clock.
    You have to kick the FG on 3rd just in case of a bad snap,etc...
    So GB receives the KO with 40+ seconds left and no timeouts.
    We all know what this defense has looked like when we go prevent.
    3 passes and GB is in position to tie it up.
    It's common sense to score the TD, but not smart to not squibb it down the middle of the field.
    That is the only thing i question Tomlin on.....

Just rewatched the TD and AJ Hawk was unblocked(Gilbert whiffed) and didnt even try to tackle Bell.
    I would not kick on third down, if, as everyone is saying Tomlin had faith in his defense then he should have faith in his ST to be able to execute an extra point that they have done 100% of the time this year, no bad snaps, and no missed PATs. You run 39 more seconds off the clock and kick the FG with at most 5 or 6 seconds for the lead. You then squibb kick the stupid thing or kick a high short one that everyone can get under and the game is over.

We're talking about a botching an extra point (FG) and the Steelers were in the shotgun for the final play. Geesh, that was a bad decision right there, why risk a shotgun snap, put Ben under center, snap it to him and turn around and hand the ball off or even better QB sneak it in. IMO, there was so much wrong with that last 1:25 that it isn't even funny.

Not burning clock
    Taking a shotgun snap
    A running play and not a QB sneak (even he doesn't get in, less chance of fumble and it burns clock then)
    Kicking it deep to a good return man, but keeping the ball in play for him to return the kick.

Good fortune was on the side of the Steelers on this particular day, IMO. Someone wanted Steeler fans to have one more week of playoff style football.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount