Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: We didn't need that drama!!!!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Just got finished watching the game on DVR.
    I turned to my son, a 3rd grader and said after Bells TD "Rob, what do you do here?"
    He said "Dad you have to squibb kick it down the middle of the field, but make sure you don't kick it out of bounds"
    So what do the Steelers do?
    They kick a linedrive right to the return man.
    Boggles the mind that a 3rd grader knows what to do......

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

What if he knell down and kick the game winner, and GB gets the same return to tie the game. The same people here questioning the decision would be the same ones changing their tune. Too many fans listen to David Todd. Man I swear we lost the game listening to the complaints.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The one that has a porous defense and poor special teams play and shouldn't leave a team a minute and a half to try and score a touchdown. Burn the darn clock, the Steelers were 2nd and 1 on the 1 with 1:25 to go, Ben takes a shotgun snap (which he did) stands there for 2 seconds and gives himself up with 1:23 to go and the 40 second clock on, snap the 3rd down with 44 seconds to go in the game, take a knee and call a timeout with 3 seconds to go in the game for the 4th down FG.

Pappy
    That's how girls or communists play football!

It would have been a vote of no confidence in D too - which is very different than saying they suck. It's saying we don't even trust you to hold Rodger-less Packers in the snow from going 80 yards on you in a minute. Terrible message.

I like what we did. Guts, balls, poise and moxie.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

all things being equal - I don't mind the call to go for the TD. Having said that, the steelers this season have quite the predilection of scoring emotional game tying or leading scores - only to immediately have a horrendous kickoff that results in a huge return or a kick out of bounds. when you couple that with the fact that up to that point in the game green bay had already had their two longest returns this season it makes you question the stubbornness of tomlin. I appreciate the desire to have faith in your special teams and defense - but based on previous performances, I would have taken two knees and kicked the FG. if anything bad can happen, it can happen on a TD run as well.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Starter

User Info Menu

Tomlin is a horrible clock manager. Yet there are other coaches that are as bad or worse in this area. My question is whether there is a way to overcome this? Can The Steelers not hire a guy whose job it is to whisper "TIMEOUT" in Tomlin's ear, etc? Somebody who can help out in that final two minutes. Seems at least some of this ought to fixable.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post

It would have been a vote of no confidence in D too - which is very different than saying they suck. It's saying we don't even trust you to hold Rodger-less Packers in the snow from going 80 yards on you in a minute. Terrible message.

I'm with Pappy. Guts, balls and moxie may describe that sequence. Poise sure doesn't. The smart play is to win the game. You increase our chances by playing conservatively. Our defense is a weakness. We were very lucky to get some big plays at unexpected times in this game. There were long stretches in this game where GB was able to move the ball at ease, particularly on 3 and long. We are playing for a slim shot at maybe, maybe squeaking into the playoffs. Our defense is aging and we're likely to see major changes to our starting defense over the next year as we figure out the future of players like Kiesel, Clark, Polamalu and Taylor. I don't think worrying about sending messages of no confidence to our defense should be a top concern right now. Winning is what matters.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post

Screw the message the only chance the Packers had to win that game was given to them by the Steelers. The only decision that could have been worse would have been to immediately kick the FG on 2nd down and then kick the line drive to the return man (against a ST unit that gave up big returns all day) and let him return it 71 yards.

The Steelers could have killed the clock and kicked an extra point game winning FG and left no time on the clock but they didn't. Belechick burns the clock, Coughlin burns the clock, both Harbaughs burn the clock, Carroll burns the clock, it's the right call to burn the clock, Tomlin should have burned the clock.

If not for the Packers self-destructing on the last drive with a penalty and Flynn not seeing Nelson wide open, guts, balls and moxie would have cost the Steelers the small chance they still have to get into the playoffs. It shouldn't have been an option to lose the game.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 12-23-2013 at 02:26 AM.

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

People on the radio and at home have nothing else to do but worry about clock management. I think many other emotions and decisions swirl through the coaches and players minds than clock management during the game. I wanted them to go for the TD but burn some more clock, but you never know about what can happen during the game. If they try to worry about burning clock, maybe that diverts their attention from play execution. So, get the TD first. There still was about a minute left and should have been a secure win without a big run back.

I thought Suisham should have kicked it more along the ground. Maybe that's what he wanted to do. I'm pretty sure they had another idea than just give the returner a nice returnable ball. Did anyone ask?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't mind them going for the touchdown but, his clock stuff is and has always been suspect. Kicking the ball directly to a very good returner is worse than the poor clock management in my opinion. Bigger issues here are, our special teams get abused. I hope because we had our punter throw a pass to our tight end doesn't give the stc longevity or brownie points for remaining on this team as the stc. We've had some nice stuff go on with special teams these last couple of Steeler games but, equally we've had some stuff go wrong too and more wrong than right. I wouldn't miss our special teams coach if Tomlin replaced him unless he replaced him with an even worse special teams coach. I think that is how this one got his job now that I think about it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Screw the message the only chance the Packers had to win that game was given to them by the Steelers. The only decision that could have been worse would have been to immediately kick the FG on 2nd down and then kick the line drive to the return man (against a ST unit that gave up big returns all day) and let him return it 71 yards.

The Steelers could have killed the clock and kicked an extra point game winning FG and left no time on the clock but they didn't. Belechick burns the clock, Coughlin burns the clock, both Harbaughs burn the clock, Carroll burns the clock, it's the right call to burn the clock, Tomlin should have burned the clock.

If not for the Packers self-destructing on the last drive with a penalty and Flynn not seeing Nelson wide open, guts, balls and moxie would have cost the Steelers the small chance they still have to get into the playoffs. It shouldn't have been an option to lose the game.

Pappy
    Thanks for this Pappy. I didn't want to bring other coaches into this conversation, but you are spot on. They all know better! I've seen many people say just kick the FG after burning some time. That was not my intention. You can still score a td (heck, the packers were letting you score the td, and it was blatantly obvious to everyone). For the life of me, i cannot understand the people on here saying they did the right thing. You are flat out wrong! Do any of you not understand win probability? There is no way anyone will ever convince me that our chances of winning were just as good by doing what we did, instead of downing it twice, then trying to score a TD on 3rd down.

I guess us not scoring a TD on third then somehow missing a winning chip shot fg on 4th is just as improbable as the Packers driving down to our 1 yard line in 1:30 seconds....said nobody ever.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285