Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: We didn't need that drama!!!!!!

So Tomlin said this during the press conference:
    Was one of those risks not taking a knee and just kicking a field goal and running out the clock at the end?
    I am not into that. We had the opportunity to put the ball in the end zone. In weather conditions like that anything can happen. The snapper could roll the ball back, the ball could go through the snappers hands, etc. Given the opportunity to score, we’re going to score. We felt comfortable putting our defense on the field and winning.
    For those of you saying he showed faith in the defense by letting them do their job. Well, I say he showed an equal amount of unfaithfulness to his snapper/holder/kicker. Weather conditions be dam ned. It was clearly easier throughout the game for us to kick a chipshot fg then it was for our secondary to actually cover james jones and boykin all game.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Last I checked it is the Offense's job to score points (as many as possible in 60 min) and it Defense's job to prevent points scored.

Tomlin put his faith in both units to do their job, one side did their's, the other almost didn't.
    On the mark! You get the TD when you can because it puts more pressure on the opposing offense.

The fact our defense couldn't get to the QB or cover the receivers doesn't make the decision to go for the TD wrong.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    On the mark! You get the TD when you can because it puts more pressure on the opposing offense.

The fact our defense couldn't get to the QB or cover the receivers doesn't make the decision to go for the TD wrong.
    I don't understand the "get the td" philosophy. We almost went into OT because of this philosophy. The FG would of mounted to an extra point try. And how many of those have you seen gone bad??? Other hand how many times have you seen a team tie the game with that much time on the clock down by 7 with a shaky secondary???

Not to mention the snapper, holder and kicker managed to perform their jobs flawlessly 100% of the time during the game in the conditions set forth by the weather, 5 extra points and a FG. No reason to believe they couldn't execute one of the most automatic plays in football one more time.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Just got finished watching the game on DVR.
    I turned to my son, a 3rd grader and said after Bells TD "Rob, what do you do here?"
    He said "Dad you have to squibb kick it down the middle of the field, but make sure you don't kick it out of bounds"
    So what do the Steelers do?
    They kick a linedrive right to the return man.
    Boggles the mind that a 3rd grader knows what to do......
    LMFAO

Pete...I have to tell you this. My son & I watch all the games together...Also a 3rd Grader. During commercials he runs patterns in my living room & I throw...Big living room. Since I have soooo much confidence in our ST over the last several years...EVERytime the Steelers kick off or punt...I always say "NO ST TD BOYS!" After that TD...I turned to my boy & said "Tell them Boy!" He said..."Nah...They will squib it Dad." I said, "Hmmm...Is that what you would do on Madden?" lol Sure enough....

After I got done screaming at the TV on the return...My son said, "Told ya...Should have squibbed it!"

Had to share that!

Hall of Famer
    Honestly guys...The defense was so inconsistent stopping Flynn...I wouldn't & didn't question any call that kept the offense on the field. The Steelers can thank Flynn for not seeing Troy jump Nelson's route. That's football...Take the win! Steelers hung tough & played to win. Still Alive!

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

I guess the question is.... which one puts more pressure on their offense: Having to score a TD with more than a minute left? Or having to score only a FG but with only a few seconds left? I tend to think that the Pack LET us score that TD so they had some time left on the clock.

Hall of Famer
    Not understanding this idea that a FG was the safest route to a win. It was the most conservative, but not surest. There was a FG blocked earlier in the game, it can happen any time to either side. A return for a TD can happen too.
    If, by some miracle, this team makes it to the playoffs, they need both sides of the ball and ST to play better than they did yesterday.

Starter
    And the way our "Special" teams were playing, I found myself wishing they'd just start kicking the ball out of bounds on purpose and give'em the ball on the 40 with no risk of a huge return. Sad when we're regularly giving the other team such great starting field position. Sushi's leg seems to lose some oomph in the cold.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    And the way our "Special" teams were playing, I found myself wishing they'd just start kicking the ball out of bounds on purpose and give'em the ball on the 40 with no risk of a huge return. Sad when we're regularly giving the other team such great starting field position. Sushi's leg seems to lose some oomph in the cold.
    Yeah, Suisham's seems to struggle with kick offs in the cold which is wierd because he is a Canuck.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!