Thread: why arent fines a % instead

Pro Bowler

why arent fines a % instead

of a fixed dollar amount?

a $7,500 - $25,000 fine to a guy making a few million a year isnt sh!t, but to a guy making league minimum, its quite hefty.
    i would like to see infractions be a % of a players salary/cap hit.
    each time a player has a fineable infraction, it could increase by X% each time.
    1) ERIC EBRON TE/ MIKE EVANS WR
    2) JORDAN MATHEWS WR/ SEFERIAN-JENKINS TE
    3-7) DEFENSE

Why does a gallon of milk cost a millionaire the same as it costs someone making minimum wage???
    Why does a speeding ticket cost a millionaire....................................... ................................???
    Why does a 3 bedroom house............................................. ................................................?? ?
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Why does a gallon of milk cost a millionaire the same as it costs someone making minimum wage???
    Why does a speeding ticket cost a millionaire....................................... ................................???
    Why does a 3 bedroom house............................................. ................................................?? ?
    I get your point but really dont think it applies here. Lets say your an undrafted rookie who makes the league minimum. Lets also say you are a mid season addition to the roster. A $25000 fine on a guy who will only make $150000 for his partial season of work is extreemly unfair. The way some of these guys handle their money it could even be enough to break a guy.

To be honest I really dont even understand how any of these fines are legal. Can you imagine if this ever translated into your workplace? Imagine having your boss fine you $5000 because someone complained about your work. Or how about $2500 everytime your late. The department of labor would be all over that. The NFL on the other hand seems to be above the law, and in some cases common sense too.

Pro Bowler
    you just proved my point.
    2 out of your 3 examples are purchases that the individual chooses to make, not a dollar amount that they are forced to give away.
    as far as the speeding ticket. do you think the millionaire is going to worry about speeding in the future compared to a minimum wage worker?
    a player that makes millions a year doesnt have to conform to the rules and regulations of the nfl because the fines are chump change to them.
    if conformity is the goal, make the fines equivalent.
    1) ERIC EBRON TE/ MIKE EVANS WR
    2) JORDAN MATHEWS WR/ SEFERIAN-JENKINS TE
    3-7) DEFENSE

Legend
    I would like to believe that our FO or team would help Garvis out. I could see if it was a stupid play that cost us the game but a crushing block that springs a punt return???

Fans kicked in to help JH when he was rich... why not for a guy who actually needs the help?

Hall of Famer
    but conversely... Taxes are percentage.. and so are health insurance costs.

I think the real reason is 2 words: Players Union. They would never agree to that.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

The CBA protects guys like Garvin with a percentage...

No more than 25% of a game check for a 1st offense, no more than 50% for a 2nd...