Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: CB a big problem for 2014?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Could Ike's ability to catch improve when he's facing the quarterback and breaking on a ball rather than having to run with a wide receiver and then turn, locate and catch the ball? Two completely different ways of catching, I'm not saying Ike to FS is a good idea, but catching from centerfield is different than mirroring a receiver and then trying to locate the ball at the last second to make a play.

Pappy
    Possibly Pap, never played CB in HS.
    Don't think we have the luxury to have that experiment this year.

Backup

User Info Menu

CB a big problem for 2014?

I think the better question is,.... when was the last time the cornerback position was not a problem and or an "Achilles heal" for us ? (Along with "Benny Hill outro wacky" Qb play)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Theyve had a great pass defense the last few years, its an awkward transition time for those players that were cogs in that though.

Pass rush is why the CBs seem to suck, the sack total and lack of pressure has been rough the last few years

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Possibly Pap, never played CB in HS.
    Don't think we have the luxury to have that experiment this year.
    Unfortunately, the entire year may be an experiment based on some of the things that may or may not happen.

Can Jarvis step into ROLB and be productive?
    Can McClendon be a good enough NT on a full time basis?
    Woodley/Worilds?
    Foote/Spence/rookie?
    Hood/Woods/rookie

There's so much happening this year, that, unless, some past draft picks really pick up their game it could be a long year. With Ike's experience, training regimen and overall attitude, giving him a try at FS would be less of an experiment than some of the other things I have listed, IMO.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Unfortunately, the entire year may be an experiment based on some of the things that may or may not happen.

Can Jarvis step into ROLB and be productive?
    Can McClendon be a good enough NT on a full time basis?
    Woodley/Worilds?
    Foote/Spence/rookie?
    Hood/Woods/rookie

There's so much happening this year, that, unless, some past draft picks really pick up their game it could be a long year. With Ike's experience, training regimen and overall attitude, giving him a try at FS would be less of an experiment than some of the other things I have listed, IMO.

Pappy
    Yep, this is a reconstruction year for the defense which is why you don't need to use #15 on defense especially for a Nose Tackle. It will be 2015 or 2016 before things get right with this defense so make the offense harder to defend and more potent so they can pick up the slack.

It would be a terrible move not to invest in offense so both the offense and defense are at the mediocre to good level together. One unit has to excel and the offense is the one that is closer to moving to the next level.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    wasnt ike rated one of the worst cb in the league this year?
    He allowed 71 receptions for 1,043 yards, the most in the NFL.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    He allowed 71 receptions for 1,043 yards, the most in the NFL.

He was lights out the year before.

I think he has fallen off some, but his safety help was absolutely terrible a lot of the time, and sure he might have at one point been good enough or fast enough to compensate for that but just because he lost a step doesnt mean he is useless like many think. I think hes got a bounce back campaign in him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    He was lights out the year before.

I think he has fallen off some, but his safety help was absolutely terrible a lot of the time, and sure he might have at one point been good enough or fast enough to compensate for that but just because he lost a step doesnt mean he is useless like many think. I think hes got a bounce back campaign in him.
    He wasn't lights out in 2012.

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/57103/whats-wrong-with-ike-taylor[/url]

Last season, Taylor was one of the more underrated defenders in the NFL, giving up 40 receptions and two touchdowns, according to Pro Football Focus. Through five games this season, he has been among the worst cornerbacks in the league, allowing 24 catches and four touchdowns. That's a projected total of 76.8 receptions (nearly double his 2011 total) and 12.8 touchdowns allowed.

He struggled early on and he rebounded when we started bracketing him with a safety. He's been on the decline for years and it's a serious problem because he can't catch worth a damn.

The problem is you don't pay a guy that much if he needs help AND he can't catch...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    He wasn't lights out in 2012.

[URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/57103/whats-wrong-with-ike-taylor[/URL]

Last season, Taylor was one of the more underrated defenders in the NFL, giving up 40 receptions and two touchdowns, according to Pro Football Focus. Through five games this season, he has been among the worst cornerbacks in the league, allowing 24 catches and four touchdowns. That's a projected total of 76.8 receptions (nearly double his 2011 total) and 12.8 touchdowns allowed.

He struggled early on and he rebounded when we started bracketing him with a safety. He's been on the decline for years and it's a serious problem because he can't catch worth a damn.

The problem is you don't pay a guy that much if he needs help AND he can't catch...
    Exactly.... Paying a guy like Ike 10 mil /year when he can't generate a turnover and needs help isn't exactly what a call a good return on investment.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Exactly.... Paying a guy like Ike 10 mil /year when he can't generate a turnover and needs help isn't exactly what a call a good return on investment.
    I agree. Ike was a great steeler in his time...but will be easily replaced based on his current talent/production level. IMO a cut or drastically reduced contract is needed.. plus a new face or two via free agency AKA Lewis Delmas... and a high draft pick at corner.