Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: CB a big problem for 2014?

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy_cohen View Post
    It seems to me with the need for a cb, wr and a safety, it is wise to get the db's first with wr group so deep.

WR is deep & so is CB. "Deep" & "Elite" aren't the same. It is simple...Draft the BPA. If the BPA at #15 is a WR & it is a large gap....You draft the WR. You don't reach. If it is a S or CB & it is a large gap...Same thing. That goes for TE, LB, DL...BPA. If You have two guys that are close at say WR & a defensive player like CB....You go defense imo.

I'm looking at my grade board. Lets say Clowney, Barr, Mack, Watkins, Matthews, & Robinson are out of the equation. They "should" be gone. If they fell you would have to take them. Add in Manziel, Bridgewater, & Bortles. That is 9. I think the next group of players are Gilbert, Mosley, Ebron, Lewan, Evans, & Dennard. So ONE of those should be on the board. The Steelers won't pick Lewan if he is BPA imo. The next group is Lee, Clinton Dix, Pryor, Jerrigan, Donald, & Nix.

The Steelers board should not include Jerrigan & Donald. Like I said, I don't believe Lewan or any LT not named Matthews or Robinson will be picked in the 1st. Gilbert, Mosley, Ebron, Evans, Dennard, Lee, Clinton Dix, Pryor, & Nix. I will remove Lee because I feel WR won't be picked at #15 unless it is Watkins or Evans. So I feel the Steelers target group is Gilbert, Mosley, Ebron, Evans, Dennard, Clinton Dix, Pryor, & Nix. Since Lewan, a DL or two, & possibly Lee may come off the board before 15...There is a good chance one will be there. Personally I would take Gilbert, Mosley, Ebron, Evans, Dennard if there. If it is Clinton Dix, Pryor, & Nix...I would try to trade back first. They still may be able to get one of them. I think that adds guys like Benjamin, Serian-Jenkins, Amaro, Hagemen, & Fuller to the list.

FA could change it if they sign a S. More than that...We just don't know how they feel about Shark. Is he the FS like Bouchette said? That may slide Nix up ahead of Clinton Dix & Pryor on their board because it is close. If the Steelers sign a starter at S....I would say they may not value a S that high UNLESS Troy is cut. I see Troy here though. I think the Steelers 1st rounder at #15 is in the group of Gilbert, Mosley, Ebron, Evans, Dennard, Clinton Dix, Pryor, & Nix right now. The one wildcard to this group may be Benjamin. A strong Pro Day could inch him up closer.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post

WR is deep & so is CB. "Deep" & "Elite" aren't the same. It is simple...Draft the BPA. If the BPA at #15 is a WR & it is a large gap....You draft the WR. You don't reach. If it is a S or CB & it is a large gap...Same thing. That goes for TE, LB, DL...BPA. If You have two guys that are close at say WR & a defensive player like CB....You go defense imo.

I'm looking at my grade board. Lets say Clowney, Barr, Mack, Watkins, Matthews, & Robinson are out of the equation. They "should" be gone. If they fell you would have to take them. Add in Manziel, Bridgewater, & Bortles. That is 9. I think the next group of players are Gilbert, Mosley, Ebron, Lewan, Evans, & Dennard. So ONE of those should be on the board. The Steelers won't pick Lewan if he is BPA imo. The next group is Lee, Clinton Dix, Pryor, Jerrigan, Donald, & Nix.

The Steelers board should not include Jerrigan & Donald. Like I said, I don't believe Lewan or any LT not named Matthews or Robinson will be picked in the 1st. Gilbert, Mosley, Ebron, Evans, Dennard, Lee, Clinton Dix, Pryor, & Nix. I will remove Lee because I feel WR won't be picked at #15 unless it is Watkins or Evans. So I feel the Steelers target group is Gilbert, Mosley, Ebron, Evans, Dennard, Clinton Dix, Pryor, & Nix. Since Lewan, a DL or two, & possibly Lee may come off the board before 15...There is a good chance one will be there. Personally I would take Gilbert, Mosley, Ebron, Evans, Dennard if there. If it is Clinton Dix, Pryor, & Nix...I would try to trade back first. They still may be able to get one of them. I think that adds guys like Benjamin, Serian-Jenkins, Amaro, Hagemen, & Fuller to the list.

FA could change it if they sign a S. More than that...We just don't know how they feel about Shark. Is he the FS like Bouchette said? That may slide Nix up ahead of Clinton Dix & Pryor on their board because it is close. If the Steelers sign a starter at S....I would say they may not value a S that high UNLESS Troy is cut. I see Troy here though. I think the Steelers 1st rounder at #15 is in the group of Gilbert, Mosley, Ebron, Evans, Dennard, Clinton Dix, Pryor, & Nix right now. The one wildcard to this group may be Benjamin. A strong Pro Day could inch him up closer.

great post.
    i agree wholeheartedly
    1) CB D Dennard
    2) OLB R Shazier
    3) DE J Ellis
    4) WR M Bryant
    5a) OG D Yankey
    5b) OLB J Tripp
    6a) RB D Archer
    6b) NT D McCullers
    7) WR J Janis

Two tall corners in the Seattle mold

by Greg Gabriel
    MARCH 07, 2014

If you have watched enough football, you will know that the NFL is big on copying success. Seattle won the Super Bowl with pass rushers and tall corners who could shut down the jumbo receivers we are seeing in the league. This year’s draft has some very talented, tall corners. I wrote about Nebraska’s Stanley Jean-Baptiste before the combine. Today, a look at two more: Utah’s Keith McGill and Lindenwood’s Pierre Desir.

Keith McGill – Corner – Utah

Size – 6033 – 211 – 4.50

Strong Points – Rare height and length for a corner, press coverage, ball reactions, awareness in zone, instincts, excellent jumping ability

Weak Points – Average speed for the position, has some tightness in his hips, drops catchable balls, not as aggressive as a player his size should be, only one interception this year, age (will be a 25-year old rookie)

2014 Stats – 37 total tackles, 12 passes broken up, one interception

Summation – McGill is a Junior College transfer. He played safety at Cerritos College in 2011. He enrolled at Utah in 2011 and played in five games before sustaining a season ending injury. He missed the 2012 season while doing rehab on that injury. He moved to corner for the 2013 season and became a starter.

McGill has rare size for a corner at 6033 – 211, with very long arms. He is a bit of a strider with good top end speed. He timed in 4.50 at the combine but is not a quick starter. He has better underway speed. He is a good athlete but has some tightness in his hips. He isn’t the smoothest guy, but still, his overall body control is good. He has a good pedal, and his transition to close is fairly good.

McGill lines up on both sides of the field. He is best in press coverage, where he shows a good jam and can keep good positioning on his opponent. He is able to stay with receivers through double moves. In zone, he shows good awareness and does a good job keeping things in front of him. In man off, he plays a bit soft, giving the receiver too much room to get open versus underneath routes.

McGill has good ball reactions and gets a number of broken up passes, but he has questionable hands. I have seen him drop too many potential interceptions. In run support, he reacts well, but he is not aggressive enough. He is not the tackler he should be given his rare size.

McGill will start early for a team that plays a lot of press man. As he has only played corner for one year, he will get better in off coverage as he gains experience. This player has upside if he is willing to learn and work.

Grade: A 6.6

Pierre Desir – Corner – Lindenwood

Size – 6011 – 198 – 4.58

Strong Points – Size and length, athlete, rare jumping ability, dominates at his level of competition, press cover, ball skills and hands

Weak Points – Played at a very low level of competition, speed at combine, off coverage.

Summation – Desir started his college career at Washburn and then transferred to Lindenwood for his final two years. He has excellent size with long arms. He is a good athlete with rare jumping ability (11’1" LJ, 35” VJ). He is very smooth with loose hips and turns well. He can get a little tall in his pedal but still shows he can flip his hips and has a burst out of his turn. He possesses quick feet and can move in transition very well. He dominates at a very low level of competition (Div. II) and rarely goes up against a receiver with any kind of speed.

He is raw with his technique and can get away with that versus his competition. He played at the East-West and Senior Bowl and showed improvement in the two weeks there with NFL coaching. He has a good jam and is a good press corner, can mirror receivers through moves, and has the suddenness required. He didn’t time well at the combine but plays faster. He will need to be re-timed at his pro day. His play speed is closer to 4.50.

At this time he is not a top man-off guy. He plays loose and doesn’t anticipate really well. It is more a coaching thing and learning the concepts. He is an aware player in zone and will look to help out when free. He shows top range. He has good ball reactions and hands and can adjust to the ball. He is a willing run-support player but not overly aggressive. He can and will tackle but isn't a really big hitter.

Desir has talent but is very raw. It will take some time for him to develop, but I can see him as a starter by the end of his second year or beginning of his third year. This player has a lot of upside and should get drafted in the third to fourth round.

Grade: B 6.5

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...rre-Desir.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Polamalu View Post
    CB a big problem for 2014?

I think the better question is,.... when was the last time the cornerback position was not a problem and or an "Achilles heal" for us ? (Along with "Benny Hill outro wacky" Qb play)
    Ummm, two years ago?
    Led the league in pass defense, with Ike, Lewis, and Cortex. Did this with little pass rush, and aging Troy hurt half the season.

They had few ints true.
    But Ike gave up zero TDs and alloewed 44 percent the last 10 games
    Lewis gave up only 3 TDs all season.
    Cortex had like 5 turnovers in two starts, passer rating horrible against him.

Corner is a serious problem today but don't act like it was always that way.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 03-08-2014 at 08:09 AM.

I hope the Steelers pass on Keith McGill. Not very good change of direction for his size which means he'll get eaten alive by quicker wideouts. Plus he is horrible fighting off blocks, if a WR lays a hand on him he acts like he's out of the play.

I only saw Desir at the east-west game and he did not impress me. Anyone see him at the senior bowl?

I liked Cockrell from Duke and R. Allen from Purdue (purely nickel guy) for some possible corners in the mid to late rounds. Saw a lot of people with Aiken in their mocks, I'll have to check him out.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

2014 NFL Draft: Pittsburgh Steelers 7-Round Mock 1.0

March 7, 2014 by Jeff Hartman

Round 1. CB - Darqueze Dennard - Michigan State

Many Pittsburgh Steelers fans want the team to select a wide receiver with the No. 15 overall pick, but I don't see the premier receivers being available at No. 15 overall. Rather, I think the Steelers look at cornerback, and Darqueze Dennard should be a player the Steelers take. Dennard is a player who is often compared to Keenan Lewis, a former Steelers player, and shows the athleticism to be able to step in and play his rookie season -- something the Steelers desperately need.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/03/07/2014-nfl-draft-pittsburgh-steelers-7-round-mock-1-0/?ZhOKbgYFAPhkBQk2.99

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post

I only saw Desir at the east-west game and he did not impress me. Anyone see him at the senior bowl?
    2014 Senior Bowl Winners and Losers

BY JOE SORIANO - JAN 26TH, 2014

Winner: Lindenwood CB Pierre Desir

Desir had such a strong game in the Senior Bowl and looked so solid in practices that some people are so high on him that they believe he is worth a first-round pick. And while I’m not one of those people, it’s difficult not to fall in love with Desir’s game. He looks like a second-round pick to me on film, and he backed it up on Saturday. Both Desir and Stanley Jean-Baptiste were two very impressive big corners at the Senior Bowl, and the most impressive thing about Desir is the fact that nobody wants to throw it in his direction. And oh yeah, he had a pick.

http://nflspinzone.com/2014/01/26/20...-pierre-desir/

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    2014 Senior Bowl Winners and Losers

BY JOE SORIANO - JAN 26TH, 2014

Winner: Lindenwood CB Pierre Desir

Desir had such a strong game in the Senior Bowl and looked so solid in practices that some people are so high on him that they believe he is worth a first-round pick. And while I’m not one of those people, it’s difficult not to fall in love with Desir’s game. He looks like a second-round pick to me on film, and he backed it up on Saturday. Both Desir and Stanley Jean-Baptiste were two very impressive big corners at the Senior Bowl, and the most impressive thing about Desir is the fact that nobody wants to throw it in his direction. And oh yeah, he had a pick.

http://nflspinzone.com/2014/01/26/20...-pierre-desir/
    thanks Hawaiian. the steelers are definitely not shy about taking corners from small schools.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Steelers looking for corners, at many different price points

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 10, 2014

Here’s even more evidence why you have to take the legal tampering “interest,” in certain players with a grain of salt.

The Steelers clearly need to restock their secondary. Thus, according to Scott Brown of ESPN.com, they’ve “inquired about” cornerbacks including Alterraun Verner of the Titans, Captain Munnerlyn of the Panthers and Nolan Carroll of the Dolphins.

In other news, I am considering “inquiring about” a filet from the Capital Grille tonight, either that or perhaps running through the McDonald’s drive-thru for something off the value menu.

Verner figures to cash in on the suddenly inflated cornerback market, set by Brent Grimes and Sam Shields.

Munnerlyn had high hopes a year ago, but settled for a cut-rate one-year deal with the Panthers. Carroll is young and being replaced by more expensive parts.

So the fact they’re interested in players at vastly different price points should indicate a few things.

Yes, they need corners.

No, they probably can’t afford Verner, but might be interested in knowing which teams might.

And once he signs elsewhere, they can turn their attention back to the cheaper items on the menu.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-price-points/

Pro Bowler
    Munnerlyn is a little smallish