Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: CB a big problem for 2014?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    Thats why I said cover corner, not a top ten overall corner, just his ability to shadow a WR is top ten.
    Whauuuuuuuuut? I dont think they have a list for shadowing WR's.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Whauuuuuuuuut? I dont think they have a list for shadowing WR's.
    Yea they do, its called doing an "Ike"

Pro Bowler
    The Steelers haven't had much success developing the CB's they have drafted recently. Let's hope that changes.

Rookie
    Really a big transition year in the secondary--do you bite the bullet and cut ties with a number of guys that have done a good job for a number of years (but not so much lately), or do you try to keep some around at a lesser price? What would I do? Clark is a FA, and I wouldn't re-sign him. Good tough player, appreciate his contributions, but he's done. Troy? Instincts, but...athletic ability is leaving him fast. Risk-taking seldom rewarded anymore. I would (painfully) let him go and move on. Ike? Get a significant overall price reduction or let him go. His work ethic and conditioning are truly great, but he's slipping fast. Replacements? Shark at SS, W. Allen at FS while 2nd Round E. Reynolds from Stanford(some outstanding DBs from this school lately) gets ready. CB? D. Dennard is only first half of 1st Round talent--depth at OT may be best fit for us in 1, so CB in 3rd (comp for M. Wallace) or 4th plus an affordable FA CB (July 1 cut?) may pair with Gay & C. Allen. Given the play ofour secondary this year, this probablywouldn'tbe any worse an option.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    DD--don't you think the 3-4 zone we play is a big part of the problem on why the defense is slipping? In a pass first and pass often NFL, I think we need guys with more cover skills who can presure at the LOS and not give up the easy 8-10 yard catch and get another 5 YAC. This is why our defense can't get off the field and has been giving up long drives.

I would have no interest in a zone cover guy going forward. May have worked in the past but I think that is "old thinking," which is why LeBeau likes to do it.
    It so tiresome arguing the agendas. Your perceptions are not true. The Steelers defense is ranked 11th in the league in 3-and-outs at 0.434 rate of possessions.
    The Steelers defense has been so dominant and so good for so long it has skewed perceptions on what an average NFL defense looks like.

BTW, special teams does the defense no favors with opponent average starting position 30th in the NFL.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 12-20-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    It so tiresome arguing the agendas. Your perceptions are not true. The Steelers defense is ranked 11th in the league in 3-and-outs at 0.434 rate of possessions.
    The Steelers defense has been so dominant and so good for so long it has skewed perceptions on what an average NFL defense looks like.

BTW, special teams does the defense no favors with opponent average starting position 30th in the NFL.
    Who cares about being ranked 11th when they keep giving up key 3rd downs at critical moments.

Its tiresome seeing these stats when our eyes can see this D has been slipping for years.

Wow most here seem to agree to a point that a CB needs picked to be ready to replace Ike or even Allen if he does not make the jump in 2014. Also I think a FS should be drafted or FA signed. I am not sold on W. Allen being what we need in 2014 at FS. I would use a 1st rd pick on a CB if he is the Steelers guy to replace Ike. I hate to say this but there are young 1st and even 2nd round picks all over this team but the corners have always been projects. Even Ike was a 4 rd project. Time to pony up a high pick for a CB. But the Steelers also need another project guy to be the 3rd CB very soon. After reading some replies here just think if there was no Ike on this team for 2013. Oh my Gay and Allen as starting corners. Yes Gay has played well but not lined up on the #1 WR of the other teams. How bad would some of the games really been I wonder.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    Wow most here seem to agree to a point that a CB needs picked to be ready to replace Ike or even Allen if he does not make the jump in 2014. Also I think a FS should be drafted or FA signed. I am not sold on W. Allen being what we need in 2014 at FS. I would use a 1st rd pick on a CB if he is the Steelers guy to replace Ike. I hate to say this but there are young 1st and even 2nd round picks all over this team but the corners have always been projects. Even Ike was a 4 rd project. Time to pony up a high pick for a CB. But the Steelers also need another project guy to be the 3rd CB very soon. After reading some replies here just think if there was no Ike on this team for 2013. Oh my Gay and Allen as starting corners. Yes Gay has played well but not lined up on the #1 WR of the other teams. How bad would some of the games really been I wonder.
    I am surprised by this comment. The rules don't favor the CBs anymore. WRs will get open against any corner if given enough time. Spend the money on the DL where it counts. Those guys come much cheaper and have the same effect as a good CB.

Reason why we've been having troubles with teams converting on 3rd downs, is we don't get the pressure on the QB like we used to. QB's sit back there with time and find someone open. Fix that and we're back on top.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

I kind of agree that pressure matters to a point. But why does CB's get paid so much if it does not matter? That is crap. Go watch the tape of us beating the Pats with Lewis on the field in 2011. Good corners matter. There are only a few QB's who create time in the pocket. Most get the ball out before any pressure can get there. Need CB's that can cover to make the QB hold the ball a couple more seconds so the pass rush can get there. Watch how fast teams try to get the ball out of the QB's hands when playing the Steelers. The Pats have used our lack of more then 1 good cover corner against us for years. Many other QB's know the same thing. Get rid of the ball fast. Maybe I look at this wrong. But it is what I see when watching the games. Need a little time to get to the QB. Good corners can help with that. I know most will say the 10yd cushion is the problem. But did not Woodson and others also run that and still cover well? It's on the player I think to see the route and cover well enough for pressure to get to the QB. We all will just have to see come draft time what the pro's think of there players and who to pick in the draft.