Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: CB a big problem for 2014?

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    He's good, but I would prefer Justin Gilbert.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

Oh...and I think that LaVelle Westbrooks, from Georgia Southern, could be an Ike Taylor type. He's has been invited to the Senior Bowl, so it will be interesting to see how he stacks up against better talent. He could be a real find.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Oh...and I think that LaVelle Westbrooks, from Georgia Southern, could be an Ike Taylor type. He's has been invited to the Senior Bowl, so it will be interesting to see how he stacks up against better talent. He could be a real find.
    I'm a GSU fan...along with my Buckeyes. I work about 5 minutes from GSU. Just wondering why you would spend a 3rd rounder on a guy who is a 5th-FA kinda DB. He is around a 4.7 40 kinda guy (not that's everything), played against questionable talent and would be only one of a handful of guys who actually got drafted from GSU. I am curious as to how he will stack up against the big boys but I'm not sure Westbrooks is that diamond in the rough. Ike had that thing you can't teach...stupid speed. Westbrooks doesn't. Now the guy in my sig Marcus Williams is IMO more interesting. While he doesn't have Ike Taylor speed either, he does have crazy ball skills and is an instant help in the return game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I'm a GSU fan...along with my Buckeyes. I work about 5 minutes from GSU. Just wondering why you would spend a 3rd rounder on a guy who is a 5th-FA kinda DB. He is around a 4.7 40 kinda guy (not that's everything), played against questionable talent and would be only one of a handful of guys who actually got drafted from GSU. I am curious as to how he will stack up against the big boys but I'm not sure Westbrooks is that diamond in the rough. Ike had that thing you can't teach...stupid speed. Westbrooks doesn't. Now the guy in my sig Marcus Williams is IMO more interesting. While he doesn't have Ike Taylor speed either, he does have crazy ball skills and is an instant help in the return game.
    That is why I am interested to see how he stacks up at the Senior Bowl....

Front line speed is one of the last things I look at when evaluating a corner. Westbrooks has good size, is physical, and projects as a fit for a 3-4 zone. He has also played some safety.

And the 3rd rounder is not the slotted 3rd rounder. It is if the Steelers get a 3rd round comp pick for Mike Wallace. That is more like an early 4th round pick.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    That is why I am interested to see how he stacks up at the Senior Bowl....

Front line speed is one of the last things I look at when evaluating a corner. Westbrooks has good size, is physical, and projects as a fit for a 3-4 zone. He has also played some safety.

And the 3rd rounder is not the slotted 3rd rounder. It is if the Steelers get a 3rd round comp pick for Mike Wallace. That is more like an early 4th round pick.

DD--don't you think the 3-4 zone we play is a big part of the problem on why the defense is slipping? In a pass first and pass often NFL, I think we need guys with more cover skills who can presure at the LOS and not give up the easy 8-10 yard catch and get another 5 YAC. This is why our defense can't get off the field and has been giving up long drives.

I would have no interest in a zone cover guy going forward. May have worked in the past but I think that is "old thinking," which is why LeBeau likes to do it.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Pro Bowler
    Drafting a CB in the first round would be a wasted pick IMO.
    As long as the genius is still running this scheme, does anyone really think he'd see any playing time?

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    DD--don't you think the 3-4 zone we play is a big part of the problem on why the defense is slipping?
    No, it's not scheme, it's personnel. Ryan Clark age 34, Ike Taylor age 33, and Troy Polamalu age 32, has more to do with it than the scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    In a pass first and pass often NFL, I think we need guys with more cover skills who can presure at the LOS and not give up the easy 8-10 yard catch and get another 5 YAC. This is why our defense can't get off the field and has been giving up long drives.

I would have no interest in a zone cover guy going forward. May have worked in the past but I think that is "old thinking," which is why LeBeau likes to do it.
    The two super bowl teams from last year weren't pass first and often teams. They both were and still are pretty balanced on offense.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Drafting a CB in the first round would be a wasted pick IMO.
    As long as the genius is still running this scheme, does anyone really think he'd see any playing time?
    Yeah that's what some were saying about drafting an OLB last year.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

I'd cut Ike in a heartbeat. Ike is slipping. He played poorly this season. Ike relies on his athleticism. He is not a heady-type player. He grabs a lot and he does not position himself that well. When he loses a bit of his athletic gifts, I think he becomes a liability. And I think he is losing some of them.

William Gay gets a lot of heat but I think he has played much better than Ike this season, precisely because he is a heady-type player.

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I don't think Ike is a top 10 corner. He's solid but top 10? Really?

2-3 more years? Ike at 36. I can't wait. I saw a drop off in Ike's play this year. He was chasing guys with his arms out like a zombie on the Walking Dead.

This secondary is in serious trouble. Ike is aging (and its showing) and we have zero depth.
    Thats why I said cover corner, not a top ten overall corner, just his ability to shadow a WR is top ten.