Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: CB a big problem for 2014?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    do either of you have a solution for corner for this next year? why argue about the past, lets discuss the future.
    Probably better draft one early, and maybe another in rounds 4-5..
    ask Ike to take a cut that is comparable to his current ability (which would be drastic). If he declines, BYE, BYE Ike. Would be nice to keep Ike around for depth...and help transition the "Rook" into the starting role.
    Looking at the secondary from a broader scope... Signing Will Allen to a 1-2 year deal is a must. I think Troy also needs to take a pay cut comparable to his current level (which is not top 5 IMO). Ryan Clark is gone. A great Steeler in his time but is the odd man out I think when it comes to the vets in this secondary.
    It had been mentioned that Ike could also play some free safety. Would add some value to him (providing much needed depth in the secondary) if he could be used as a "Swing guy" sort of like K. Beachum is on the OL.
    With all of this being said, we'd better hope that Cortez Allen and Willie Gay stay healthy in the process.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    do either of you have a solution for corner for this next year? why argue about the past, lets discuss the future.

even tho he has lost a step, i still think Ike has a few decent years left in him. he has already indicated that he is willing to take a paycut/and or a position move to stay with the team. unfortunately due to colberts/tomlins draft and tomlins inability to develop a cb to take over for ike, he will be our starter next year. i can see a cb drafted relatively early, but wont be a factor next year. i want ike back at a reduced price and still think he has great value as player, leader and mentor for the young guys. the only way i see a FA brought in to start is if ike refuses to take a cut and the steelers are forced to cut him outright. no way this happens. it has been well documented how rooney feels about ike and vise versa.
    IMO, we are gonna be hurting at cb for a couple years minimum.
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Gosh squid, we're really not all that different are we? lol

In all seriousness, I think you make some good points...

and I think a rd 1 DB (if drafted) will have to step in and contribute next year if we are going to make a run at the post season..
    Last edited by Ernie; 01-12-2014 at 10:53 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Probably better draft one early, and maybe another in rounds 4-5..
    ask Ike to take a cut that is comparable to his current ability (which would be drastic). If he declines, BYE, BYE Ike. Would be nice to keep Ike around for depth...and help transition the "Rook" into the starting role.
    Looking at the secondary from a broader scope... Signing Will Allen to a 1-2 year deal is a must. I think Troy also needs to take a pay cut comparable to his current level (which is not top 5 IMO). Ryan Clark is gone. A great Steeler in his time but is the odd man out I think when it comes to the vets in this secondary.
    It had been mentioned that Ike could also play some free safety. Would add some value to him (providing much needed depth in the secondary) if he could be used as a "Swing guy" sort of like K. Beachum is on the OL.
    With all of this being said, we'd better hope that Cortez Allen and Willie Gay stay healthy in the process.
    I agree, the Steelers need to double dip in the draft this year at CB. I would cut Ike and Clark too. Will Allen would be a re-sign if they could as a depth player. I'm definitely asking for a cut from Troy as much as I hate to say, but that is the financial situation of the Steelers right now.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Gosh squid, we're really not all that different are we? lol
    not when it comes to paying guys what they deserve when they are not producing at a high level.
    its time to get this cap situation under control and begin rebuilding.
    IMO its gotta be troy(paycut), ike(paycut) and woodley(release)
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

That's pretty much my thoughts on the matter as well. I'm ready to see if Worilds is the real deal.. in black and gold.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think you might be thinking about Wallace ... not Lewis. Supposedly Minny offered Wallace more than the Dolphins but he took the Dolphins offer. That allowed his Dad to say he wasn't all about the money.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the same could be said for a handful of other positions Pap. If not for the "Strings attached" to Woodley...it would be a simple as letting him go and keeping Worilds. With the cap situation as it is, and with Worilds being a top 2-3 OLB Free Agent prospect... it is looking like we are not going to be able to sign him even if we wanted to. This is one of those situations that frustrates the heck out of you because Worilds is a potential long term answer...and you have to let him walk because you've got millions tied up in bad contracts.
    IMO this is one of the most critical off seasons for the FO in the last decade or so.
    I don't think the other positions have players of Woodley, Jones and Worilds caliber, this was a position the Steelers believed to be solid for years to come and now they may be without both Woodley and Worilds, probably not, but at what cost? Either a large contract for Worilds and a cap hit for cutting Woodley, or keeping Woodley and letting Worilds walk and hoping Jones becomes what everyone in the FO believes he will be. Either way, OLB could be high on the list of draft options come April or May whenever they hold the draft.

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.26 - Graham Barton, OC/G, Duke
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    2.57 - Braden Fiske, DT, FSU
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

That's pretty much my thoughts on the matter as well. I'm ready to see if Worilds is the real deal.. in black and gold.
    That's ok but how much money should he get? I think he will be an average starting OLB. Do the Steelers over pay a little for a average OLB to help fix the mess that is OLB? Or go after a FA? Would it be a good idea to trade up for Barr to play OLB? Starting to chase there tail at a few positions it seems with 2 bad drafts and good/great players getting old or not living up there previous play. Very rare to find the JH's it seems to me. What a find he was. Might have to do much better in FA the next couple off seasons to fill some big holes.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    That's ok but how much money should he get? I think he will be an average starting OLB. Do the Steelers over pay a little for a average OLB to help fix the mess that is OLB? Or go after a FA? Would it be a good idea to trade up for Barr to play OLB? Starting to chase there tail at a few positions it seems with 2 bad drafts and good/great players getting old or not living up there previous play. Very rare to find the JH's it seems to me. What a find he was. Might have to do much better in FA the next couple off seasons to fill some big holes.
    not sure about the money... given the cap situation, I doubt we will be able to pay what other teams will offer.

As for being "Average"... I think Worilds could be above that when he settles in to a starting role somewhere. As was mentioned in another thread, if we could only had a crystal ball...