Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: CB a big problem for 2014?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Don't get it twisted... corners matter

Having a lot of guys who can run and cover matters. And no one here will doubt that the Steelers need CB help. The problem is, we need immediate help. And the further problem is, we can't afford to whiff with any picks, let alone a #1. And I would guess that a 1st round CB is probably one of the highest whiffing positions out there. And I think Corner is probably the hardest position to transition, from college to pro. So even if we drafted a #1 CB, chances are good that he will be a scrub early on.

As to the Ike-to-FS sentiment, it sounds good but I don't think it makes sense. He might be serviceable there, but he lacks the playmaking dimension that guys who did it in the past (Rod/Charles Woodson) had. I think the quality that makes these aging CB a viable FS option is their ball skills. (i.e. they make up for the lack of range, with game-changing potential. Ike lacks big-time, in that regard.) I would like to see Shark take over at FS. I think he is too stumpy as a SS (covering guys like Gronk for example). But I hope you can turn himself into a Thomas Everett type FS.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Well maybe Shark was picked to be a FS and not really Troys replacement. Most say that SS/FS is interchangeable on the Steelers. I have no problem with that. Ike can stay a CB. Not sure his pride will like being a #2 or #3 CB in a year or two. But you are correct the Steelers need help in the secondary.

Legend

User Info Menu

I love Mich St CB Darqueze Dennard, we could even trade down in Round 1 and acquire more draft choices and still pick Dennard ...

Joe Rexrode ‏@joerexrode:

Dennard allowed an average of 0.8198 yards per pass attempt, lowest recorded since NFL Draft Report started doing this in 1968 -- wow.

[URL]https://twitter.com/jimwexell[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I love Mich St CB Darqueze Dennard, we could even trade down in Round 1 and acquire more draft choices and still pick Dennard ...

Joe Rexrode ‏@joerexrode:

Dennard allowed an average of 0.8198 yards per pass attempt, lowest recorded since NFL Draft Report started doing this in 1968 -- wow.

[URL]https://twitter.com/jimwexell[/URL]
    I like Dennard too, but you realize if he comes to the Steelers, he'll have to give the ten-yard cushion, so it will certainly wreck his nice statistic.

Legend

User Info Menu

The question is can Dennard stay healthy? He had a hard time staying healthy in college.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

bottom line... we should have kept kennan lewis and let Ike walk. I know that looks like hindsight now, given Ike's subpar performance for most of the year... but I have been saying it all along. Ike will be gone at the end of the year anyways. Bonehead move by the FO.

Legend

User Info Menu

this is the kind of playmaker we need on defense...

Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State

Height: 6-0. Weight: 194.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.47.
    Projected Round (2014): 1

12/21/13: In 2013, Gilbert has six interceptions, 40 tackles, seven passes broken up and one kick returned for a touchdown. He had an interception returned 31 yards for a touchdown against Iowa State and a 41-yard pick-six against Texas. Gilbert returned a kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown against Kansas. He finished the regular season with some clutch performances. Gilbert has really improved his game as a senior and demonstrated more discipline. He has the skill set to be a starter in the NFL.

8/17/13: Gilbert recorded 63 tackles, nine passes defensed and averaged 26 yards per kick return in 2012. He did a nice job of matching up against Baylor's Terrance Williams late in the season. Gilbert had an excellent 2011 campaign with 59 tackles, 10 passes broken up and five interceptions. He averaged 27 yards per kick return the past two seasons.

Gilbert has size and ball skills. In 2011, he had interceptions against the top three quarterbacks in the 2012 NFL Draft; Stanford's Andrew Luck, Baylor's Robert Griffin and Texas A&M's Ryan Tannehill. Gilbert plays in a pass-happy conference, so he should enter the NFL battle-tested and ready to start quickly.

[URL]http://walterfootball.com/draft2014CB.php[/URL]
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 12-22-2013 at 04:43 PM.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    this is the kind of playmaker we need on defense...

Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State

Height: 6-0. Weight: 194.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.47.
    Projected Round (2014): 1

12/21/13: In 2013, Gilbert has six interceptions, 40 tackles, seven passes broken up and one kick returned for a touchdown. He had an interception returned 31 yards for a touchdown against Iowa State and a 41-yard pick-six against Texas. Gilbert returned a kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown against Kansas. He finished the regular season with some clutch performances. Gilbert has really improved his game as a senior and demonstrated more discipline. He has the skill set to be a starter in the NFL.

8/17/13: Gilbert recorded 63 tackles, nine passes defensed and averaged 26 yards per kick return in 2012. He did a nice job of matching up against Baylor's Terrance Williams late in the season. Gilbert had an excellent 2011 campaign with 59 tackles, 10 passes broken up and five interceptions. He averaged 27 yards per kick return the past two seasons.

Gilbert has size and ball skills. In 2011, he had interceptions against the top three quarterbacks in the 2012 NFL Draft; Stanford's Andrew Luck, Baylor's Robert Griffin and Texas A&M's Ryan Tannehill. Gilbert plays in a pass-happy conference, so he should enter the NFL battle-tested and ready to start quickly.

[URL]http://walterfootball.com/draft2014CB.php[/URL]
    Yep!! I agree. Gilbert would be a great pick.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Gilbert certainly has the stats. I've never seen him play. I have watched Dennard and what I like about him is how well he plays the deep ball. We have corners now who can stay with a receiver deep but never seem to know where the ball is so they often interfere or are just turning their heads as the ball get there. Dennard seems to have the knack of knowing when the ball is arriving and always getting his arm in between the receiver's arms to break up the pass. He does it cleanly without interfering. I think that is something the steelers need in a CB so if Gilbert can do that also I'm on board with taking him.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

CB will need to be addressed...WR too. When Sanders leaves...They will be thin. Wheaton breaks another finger yesterday. What is he glass? He was on the field a lot yesterday. I don't even think he was targeted.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 12-23-2013 at 01:56 PM.