Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Brett Keisel's time here running out

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    There's a reason #99 wasn't getting worn by anyone in camp.

I will say this though, I hope McCullers makes the roster. I think he's as good as gone if he goes to the PS. Some team can use behemoth such as him on their line. It's worth keeping him around to see if he can realize his possible potential.
    I hope he makes the 53-man roster too. There is something that feels good about having a monster in there, who is so huge, he even makes fellow DL look small by comparison. But I am not sure another team would grab him; what has changed since no one drafted him but Pgh in such a late round (our 2nd sixth). I think there are some deficiencies with the guy. Did you see where he shot into the backfield, untouched, and had a straight shot at the running back, and simply whiffed? I think the guy may lack coordination. Sure, he is huge and fast for his size, but maybe is just clumsy. He seems to be missing something.

As for Keisel taking the roster spot of a future stud, I don't see it. There is a reason SD didn't sweat losing Cam; he is just a body, nothing special. What I did fear with da Beard coming back, was that it would transform the locker room back to the old boys club, a club that hasn't been cutting it for a while. I want things shook up more than just doing it the old way, with an 80-year-old DC who is stuck in his ways, with those ways being outdated and ineffective. I was looking for a re-birth, and bringing back a 36-year-old DE may not offer much of one. I don't have a big problem with it; hopefully it will be more positive than negative.

Pro Bowler
    The old boys club is Keisel, Ben, Ike, and Troy....lol

Guys like Mauro and Mccullers have a legit chance to make the team, this isnt writing them off. But Keisel is better now than they ever would be this year. This reminds me of the "Cody Wallace is better than pouncey" arguments, anyone who thinks Mauro is more valuable to the team now than keisel is just dumb and buying into training camp hype wayyyyy too much

Pro Bowler
    I'd agree with you about McCullers and some clumsiness and still needing a good bit of coaching on pad level, technique, etc. I guess I'm concerned that there may be a team that has a spot and is willing to take the shot on a monster who's got potential and has shown a willingness to work hard in camp. Get a team that thinks he's good enough to go in a couple of plays per quarter in relief or goal line/short yardage situations to eat up multiple lineman (even Steelers O-line have openly talked about it being impossible to move this mountain with one guy) and he's gone. When contemplating PS guys, he seems the most likely to get taken by another team.

Pro Bowler
    I think mccullers makes the roster but probably is a candidate to not dress on game day for a while.

A team like the jets would probably pick him up, TJ Barnes (6-7, 364) from GT a few years ago hasnt shown much and rex likes a big NT

Pro Bowler
    i'm trying to figure out why keisel was signed so late if:
    1) he is the second best DL on the team
    2) he played great last year
    3) he's such a great leader and mentor

seems like he would have been signed before the draft
    1) CB D Dennard
    2) OLB R Shazier
    3) DE J Ellis
    4) WR M Bryant
    5a) OG D Yankey
    5b) OLB J Tripp
    6a) RB D Archer
    6b) NT D McCullers
    7) WR J Janis

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    i'm trying to figure out why keisel was signed so late if:
    1) he is the second best DL on the team
    2) he played great last year
    3) he's such a great leader and mentor

seems like he would have been signed before the draft
    1) They needed money that opened up on June 1st, so there goes the before the draft theory
    2) He is old (which some convert to him being bad i guess) and training camp is not neccesary. Happens all the time, use TC to evaluate the younger players
    3) They probably would have waited even longer until final roster cuts but Dockett going down got his phone ringing from AZ

They always intended on bringing him back, theres been talks about it for months. Hes well liked and a good player, even just in a rotational role (which is best for a Dline anyway)

James C Wexell @jimwexell

Just re-watched Bills-Steelers, isolating on Thomas. Yes, Keisel a definite upgrade.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

Depth Chart... #99 back on top.

"Keisel is back at the position where he has started since 2006 with Stephon Tuitt, Nick Williams and Ethan Hemer listed behind him. Cameron Heyward is the starter at left defensive end with Cam Thomas, Brian Arnfelt and Josh Mauro listed behind him." Quote from ESPN article.

Some of these guys you all are thinking may make the 53 man roster, in reality, will not be.. Mauro will be lucky to stick around on the PS.......
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    James C Wexell @jimwexell

Just re-watched Bills-Steelers, isolating on Thomas. Yes, Keisel a definite upgrade.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell
    Thats what ive been saying all along

The Steelers should definitely save a roster spot for McCullers. I see no way he will pass thru the waiver wire without another team signing him.