Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Brett Keisel's time here running out

I have no idea why people seem down on Cam Thomas so far this season. He's played quite well in the first two preseason games, and he's done it at two positions (NT & DE). Maybe some have preconceived notions about the guy based on his career in SD? (I seriously doubt ANYONE here studied Cam Thomas while he was in SD) Is it because of the offseason lawsuit he's allegedly involved in? (We all know how these lawsuits often end up).

I love Keisel and always will. I'm going to assume this is a good depth signing, but hopefully he's not going to be counted on to start and play every snap at DE this year. Personally, I think Keisel is here to help for the short term, but more importantly to teach Tuitt (whom the organization is sky-high over) some of the nuances of playing 5-tech for the Steelers.

If these are the 7 DL they keep this year (Heyward, McLendon, Thomas, Tuitt, Keisel, Mauro, McCullers) I'll be very happy w/the DLine situation moving forward. I think Arnfeldt ends up on the PS.

Pro Bowler
    I dont think Cam Thomas has the lateral mobility to play DE effectively. Hes a wall over center though. Im not "down" on him per say, but hes a limited, but versatile player

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I dont think Cam Thomas has the lateral mobility to play DE effectively. Hes a wall over center though. Im not "down" on him per say, but hes a limited, but versatile player
    That very well may be true, but from what I've seen in the first two preseason games (FWIW) he's been an effective player. We should get another good dose of the starters on Thursday night so more will be visible there, I'm sure.

I also think signing Keisel is more of a depth protection deal than anything. Without him, if they had an injury to say Heyward, are we comfortable with Tuitt, Mclendon and Thomas as the starters? Maybe next year, but this year? Probably not. So from a depth standpoint, it does make some sense. If Thomas got injured, I'd be fine just plugging Tuitt in there with Mclendon and Heyward, but if Heyward went down, the depth is lacking w/o Keisel.

Rookie
    Just to remember you guys that Brett's signing has happened less than a week after the NFL announced the practice squad expansion.
    We all know Brett is not going to be a PS player, but maybe one of these other guys (Mauro, McCullers) could be stashed there.
    This may also be a sign that our coaching staff has a good idea of who is going to stay and who is going to be cut.
    Wouldn't also be surprised with a move for Deebo.

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Be careful with facts and logic at times it is frowned upon.

Pappy
    Thank goodness we have so few here who use it

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by gabr1el View Post
    Just to remember you guys that Brett's signing has happened less than a week after the NFL announced the practice squad expansion.
    We all know Brett is not going to be a PS player, but maybe one of these other guys (Mauro, McCullers) could be stashed there.
    This may also be a sign that our coaching staff has a good idea of who is going to stay and who is going to be cut.
    Wouldn't also be surprised with a move for Deebo.
    Id love harrison back, but with the sudden excess of LBers id be surprised

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Id love harrison back, but with the sudden excess of LBers id be surprised
    Yeah, me too.
    I think the LBers situation is like the DL one. You have a lot of players with talent, but young players, maybe bring him to mentor some of those guys. He has a lot of love for Lebeau and is itching to go back.

Pro Bowler
    I loved Harrison but they already brought back Porter as an actual coach to mentor the young guys. As it is, it will be hard to cut down the LBs. There are guys showing they could play in this league who might get caught up in the numbers. I'd be surprised to see JH back this season unless its as an injury replacement down the line.

Pro Bowler
    Not sure harrison is the mentoring type anyway

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I loved Harrison but they already brought back Porter as an actual coach to mentor the young guys. As it is, it will be hard to cut down the LBs. There are guys showing they could play in this league who might get caught up in the numbers. I'd be surprised to see JH back this season unless its as an injury replacement down the line.
    I thought it may be an option but watching our LB's we look like we turned the corner. If Worilds goes down I could see it happening