Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Todd Haley needs to return in 2014

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The old guard at quarterback is not going away quietly. After a 2012 highlighted by the best rookie class in memory, quarterback royalty in 2013 looked remarkably similar to the top guns back in 2009.

It was the year of Peyton Manning, like so many before. But right behind him was a Philip Rivers revival worthy of his best seasons. (This is a guy who once led the league in yards-per-attempt (YPA) for three straight seasons. Drew Brees hasn't gone anywhere. Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisbeårger started the season slow, but try naming five better quarterbacks than them in the second half.

Peyton Manning
    The next generation is coming. Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, and Ryan Tannehill all progressed. Cam Newton "matured," which is media translation for his defense getting better (Newton was never exactly a problem). Nick Foles came out of nowhere to bolster the 2012 rookie class.

The young guys will have their day on top. Perhaps it will come in these playoffs. For now, it's the same old bosses running the NFL.

This is the Quarterback Index. Every four weeks, I rank all 32 starters, top-to-bottom. This is one of those weeks. The rankings are based on 2013 play alone. I've included everyone's preseason rank next to them in parenthesis.

Alone at the top
    1. Peyton Manning (3)

Manning is about to win his fifth MVP award, which is more than Joe Montana and Tom Brady combined. Only three players have ever won it more than twice. Manning will win the award at age 37, matching Rich Gannon as the oldest player to win MVP. Manning and the 36-year-old Brady are rewriting our expectations for how quarterbacks age. Manning surprisingly threw the ball deep more as the weather turned cold.

Top four
    2. Philip Rivers (19)
    3. Drew Brees (4)
    4. Tom Brady (2)
    Rivers and Mike McCoy made the Chargers offense fun to watch, something that rarely happened in the Norv Turner era. ... Brees' excellent season was remarkably similar to the last two years, although he was hit a lot more. ... Brady's rough first half wasn't all on his lack of weapons, but he'd have my vote for second-half MVP. (Note: That's not a real award.)

Next level
    5. Ben Roethlisberger (6)
    6. Russell Wilson (#)
    7. Andrew Luck (6)
    8. Cam Newton (14)
    9. Nick Foles (N/A)
    10. Bears quarterback (15)
    11. Matt Ryan (7)
    12. Tony Romo (13)

Roethlisberger is throwing more than ever without losing any efficiency. He's also going to play 16 games for the first time since 2008. Why is offensive coordinator Todd Haley on the way out again? ... Russell Wilson overcame a lot more this year than people realize, from his offensive line to a shaky receiver group. ... Luck has also dealt with a weak supporting cast, reducing his errant throws over the last month.

Here is the link for the rest of the article..

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000304038/article/quarterback-index-yearend-rankings[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    The scheme is azzz right now.

I'm glad our offense isnt stuck on stupid like our D.... our O struggled and we went no huddle to protect Ben from a shaky OL.

If we didnt pick the right players then you adjust the scheme....
    ADJUSTING THE DEFENSE WONT TURN COAL INTO DIAMONDS MY FRIEND.
    Name ONE elite talent on our defense that is in his prime?
    Timmons is the ONLY pretty good player in his prime and he has to pay for a ticket to the Probowl like you and me.
    Worilds is flashing ability, do you want to change his role as designated pass rusher and go 4/3?

WILLIAM STININ GAY has had stretches where he looked like our BEST CORNER. Dude cant make some rosters as a backup.
    Ditto for WHOEVER lines up inside next to Timmons if it aint Troy.

Scheme cannot fix what is wrong with our defense.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

• The NFL is on a record scoring pace, but the Steelers aren't. They've scored 359 points in 15 games and need to score 57 against Cleveland to tie the franchise record of 416 points in 1979.

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/5145042-74/steelers-game-bell#ixzz2oWeZczHS[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

They need an asterixis someplace in the record books when they had taken the defenses ability to play the game, when more games were added to the season along with the refs getting flag throwing happy.

Legend

User Info Menu

i read this subject and threw up in my mouth a little. if i see another TE screen on 3rd and 5 i might vomit... if he's back, i hope it's as the water boy.

why does this guy insist on NOT throwing it past the sticks?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    • The NFL is on a record scoring pace, but the Steelers aren't. They've scored 359 points in 15 games and need to score 57 against Cleveland to tie the franchise record of 416 points in 1979.

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/5145042-74/steelers-game-bell#ixzz2oWeZczHS[/URL]
    been my problem the last couple of years... people keep saying, "look at Ben's stats"... same people did last year. Haley is awful... too conservative.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would suggest that Haley has never been the problem. Firing him now would be beyond stupid as the O is finally seeming to hit it's stride despite a patchwork OL.

In fact, I wouldn't change anyone on the coaching staff. I know it's not fun to miss the playoffs two years in a row, but the arrow on this team is pointing up. We seem to have a very good rookie class this year that will only get better with this years experience added to more time with their playbooks added to an offseason in an NFL strength program.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Seeing all the possible vacancies for HC's coming up (Lions, Bucs, Vikes, Skins, Raiders, Titans, etc), would it be possible that some team might try and grab Haley? He's got the QB, #1WR and #1 RB all performing at or near team record paces this year. The O has improved even with patchwork OL.

Some who wanted him gone mid-year might be sorry to see him go.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Seeing all the possible vacancies for HC's coming up (Lions, Bucs, Vikes, Skins, Raiders, Titans, etc), would it be possible that some team might try and grab Haley? He's got the QB, #1WR and #1 RB all performing at or near team record paces this year. The O has improved even with patchwork OL.

Some who wanted him gone mid-year might be sorry to see him go.
    maybe...maybe not. Lots of guys at the NFL and College Levels as good or better than Haley at OC.. He can be replaced like the rest of them. As Tomlin likes to say... "Next man up".

Rookie

User Info Menu

Perhaps, but if you have a good thing going, don't f around with it...just add more talent...