Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Todd Haley needs to return in 2014

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Not sure what matters to you but last year's #5 scoring defense says something to most people. 8 of 10 teams with equal or better scoring defense last season were in the playoffs... the difference is those teams had offenses that could put points on the board and the Steelers didn't. I find it amusing so many people can point to lack of talent and age of players in the secondary, yet blame LeBeau for not fielding a better team. Give him young hungry players and see what he can do with them on the field.
    Young hungry players you say?
    That won't/can't play in this defense.
    You are aware that all good things come to an end right?
    Why does LeBeau always get a pass?
    Think Monty Kiffin is going to get a pass in Dallas.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Young hungry players you say?
    That won't/can't play in this defense.
    You are aware that all good things come to an end right?
    Why does LeBeau always get a pass?
    Think Monty Kiffin is going to get a pass in Dallas.
    No such thing as young hungry players when speaking of a Lebeau D. You have to control your hunger or you won't see the field because there are too many assignments to remember... or forget.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I think he deserves to be back.

If I remember correctly, I was not happy with the 1st 2 games of the year but ever since the Chicago game (34d game), I thought the play calling was decent. Sometimes it could have been better but that could be said about anyone.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Coach Haley was NEVER the problem. Just a convenient whipping boy. It's good that he will return.
    That's very true. If any coordinator's job should be in jeopardy, it's Lebeau.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    You've questioned the D since the trib board days, falling in love with whatever defense was hot in a given year. Look at Dallas - you need personnel to run the Tampa 2 as well. The guys that the Steelers are trotting out there on D simply aren't talented enough as a group. Lawrence Timmons is a complimentary player but he can't put a D on his back like Harrison could. Outside of Heyward, the rest of the defensive line is comprised of, at best, marginal talent. Vince Williams, a 2 down linebacker in college, is getting significant play. Add in to that an aging Clark, etc., and it's amazing to get anything out of this D. The players don't need to be perfect, but you need talent.
    ...and how do you get that talent that you say we lack. Get it into a scheme where players step into natural positions they have played for years or get players and then take a couple of years "converting" them. I think you make my point for me. If we don't have talent do you go the route of what takes longest to develop or the quicker route.

BTW, my feelings about the 4-3 have nothing to do with "hot" because you can argue it isn't the "fad" defense and the 3-4 is, but it has always been about the ability to sustain the talent and have a constant in-flow of new players who could contribute soonest.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    ...and how do you get that talent that you say we lack. Get it into a scheme where players step into natural positions they have played for years or get players and then take a couple of years "converting" them. I think you make my point for me. If we don't have talent do you go the route of what takes longest to develop or the quicker route.

BTW, my feelings about the 4-3 have nothing to do with "hot" because you can argue it isn't the "fad" defense and the 3-4 is, but it has always been about the ability to sustain the talent and have a constant in-flow of new players who could contribute soonest.
    There were drafts where the Steelers didn't pick the right players, regardless of scheme...

The scheme itself is sound...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    There were drafts where the Steelers didn't pick the right players, regardless of scheme...

Don't bother. Some people have their agendas and won't be satisfied until they are validated.

BTW, here is something they can chew on:

2013 4-3 Defensive schemes W-L: 120-130
    2013 3-4 Defensive schemes W-L: 102-93

They say it's all about finding talent that can play the scheme, yet we see teams switching to the 3-4. Why would they do it if the talent wasn't there?
    The fact is the Steelers 'missed' in a few drafts and they are now paying the price. The scheme is fine. The scheme is sound.

Legend

User Info Menu

The scheme is azzz right now.

I'm glad our offense isnt stuck on stupid like our D.... our O struggled and we went no huddle to protect Ben from a shaky OL.

If we didnt pick the right players then you adjust the scheme....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

Of course the scheme is sound. Any scheme is sound (i.e. looks good on paper). What is in question is holding guys accountable, developing young talent, rewarding hard work. e.g. I was never a fan of the Heyward, as anything more than a warm body. He's proving me wrong. But one now has to wonder why he was buried for two seasons, behind pedestrian Ziggy Hood. One has to wonder why we kept going back to that well of re-signing Hampton... when a) that is such a key position in the D (we should've had a firm idea of his heir apparent), and b) his play clearly wasn't the same. A critical eye may have looked at that and said, we need to get a new guy in there. Ike was getting older, and after Ike got adopted by Demaryus Thomas in the playoffs (i.e. became Ike's daddy), that should have been Defcon 5 in terms of finding a replaceable guy.

There are other examples, but the point is saying that maybe Lebeau puts TOO MUCH stock into experience (as an older guy now himself), and not enough into young, spunky guys and what they can bring. I'm in education, and I see it everyday. Schools these days, are overly populated with "experienced", tenured teachers... The young teachers have been laid-off, discouraged from the profession, etc. Because that is the system we have (last in, first out). What doesn't get accounted for, is for all the lacking in terms of experience (i.e. that's the reasoning for why veteran teachers should be kept over younger teachers), the youthful exuberance that young people can bring to the team.

So now, schools tend to lack that energy. There is a general malaise. We had a young teacher fill in for a teacher (during maternity leave), and everyone so misses that person now. Because that person was refreshing, with energy, a cheery face and attitude, and a willingness to do whatever it took.

I think our defense could benefit from that same sort of infusion. I think we are seeing it more now (inserting young ascending players).

Legend

User Info Menu

Thank you Shoe...

The only time seniority should be used is when there is a tie. The vest said this on 30 for 30 when talking about Claurette starting as a freshman.

One thing we have to remember is Ike is a top 10 shadowing corner...lol.