Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 70

Thread: Todd Haley needs to return in 2014

  1. #11
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hotlanta
    Posts
    2,217
    Coach Haley was NEVER the problem. Just a convenient whipping boy. It's good that he will return.

  2. #12
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    2,053
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    and why would that be??

    Casey Hampton ... gone
    James Farrior ..... gone
    James Harrison .... gone
    Larry Foote........... out
    Brett Keisel .......... missed 1/4 of season

    seems LeBeau has a good excuse for not fielding a competitive defense this season...
    What was his excuse last year?
    Don't tell me about the #1 ranking, because the way that is calculated is a total farce.
    Is he your great grandpa or something?

  3. #13
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,099
    Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    What was his excuse last year?
    Don't tell me about the #1 ranking, because the way that is calculated is a total farce.
    Is he your great grandpa or something?
    Not sure what matters to you but last year's #5 scoring defense says something to most people. 8 of 10 teams with equal or better scoring defense last season were in the playoffs... the difference is those teams had offenses that could put points on the board and the Steelers didn't. I find it amusing so many people can point to lack of talent and age of players in the secondary, yet blame LeBeau for not fielding a better team. Give him young hungry players and see what he can do with them on the field.

  4. #14
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,631
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    and why would that be??

    Casey Hampton ... gone
    James Farrior ..... gone
    James Harrison .... gone
    Larry Foote........... out
    Brett Keisel .......... missed 1/4 of season

    seems LeBeau has a good excuse for not fielding a competitive defense this season...
    Yes, but it isn't like they were all taken away in one fell swoop. Each has shown decline for x years, and part of a coordinator's job is to recognize that (e.g. develop good depth). True, he doesn't pick the players, but anyone would agree that it is difficult for young players to earn his trust (i.e. playing time).

    As for Haley, it is only a small number among us, who was saying that patience needed to be exercised here. I'm not saying I-told-you-so, because frankly... he still hasn't "proved" anything. (The offense still isn't ranked among the best.) But watching Ben play for long stretches (e.g. last half of this year, first half of last season), the offense has been a well-oiled machine. Ben may have liked the old gunslinger way of Arians, but he would be dead by now, playing that style at his age now.

  5. #15
    Hall of Famer fezziwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,185
    LeBeaus players have been on the decline for a while and to me they really started to drop off the season we lost our last Super Bowl. Maybe because Troy was hurt and other possible injuries but, they've been a paper lion for a while with aging players. With all the success we have had and the high draft picks we have had I'm surprised we've done so well for so long. What this defense really gained from was getting Farrior and Clark. Those were two guys that made an impact from the get go. Having a James Harrison emerge from within really put us over the top and with his decline/injuries and now off the team has really changed the dynamics of our defense. Yep, I'm not totally in love with stats other than they are somewhat of an indication but, they don't measure a coaches ability in big games, preparing against certain teams/coaches/players. I was all for Todd Haley or at least willing to give him a chance and more than just one or two seasons. I have to admit, mid way through this season I was starting to doubt him. I will also admit, I believe there are times or teams that are not captured by Lebeaus house of mirrors and we need one or two guys that can harass the quarterbacks and dare I say, someone in the secondary that doesn't play 10 yards off and possibly can catch an interception when thrown into their hands.

  6. #16
    Benchwarmer
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    52
    Even if we had won every game by 100 points i wouldn't want that jerk to return. He's a ****ing disgrace for the organisationl.

  7. #17
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,567
    Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    LeBeaus players have been on the decline for a while and to me they really started to drop off the season we lost our last Super Bowl. Maybe because Troy was hurt and other possible injuries but, they've been a paper lion for a while with aging players. With all the success we have had and the high draft picks we have had I'm surprised we've done so well for so long. What this defense really gained from was getting Farrior and Clark. Those were two guys that made an impact from the get go. Having a James Harrison emerge from within really put us over the top and with his decline/injuries and now off the team has really changed the dynamics of our defense. Yep, I'm not totally in love with stats other than they are somewhat of an indication but, they don't measure a coaches ability in big games, preparing against certain teams/coaches/players. I was all for Todd Haley or at least willing to give him a chance and more than just one or two seasons. I have to admit, mid way through this season I was starting to doubt him. I will also admit, I believe there are times or teams that are not captured by Lebeaus house of mirrors and we need one or two guys that can harass the quarterbacks and dare I say, someone in the secondary that doesn't play 10 yards off and possibly can catch an interception when thrown into their hands.
    I say it over and over. Talent is an issue but the problem is that the way the defense is designed there is no margin for error. When you have all the "just right" pieces it is great but it takes too long to prime the pump and get a steady flow of new talent into LeBeau's overly complex scheme (excessively in my opinion).

    The required "conversions" of players out of college take too long and they are far from guaranteed to be successful. That is the effect we are now seeing come to the surface, which is why I have questioned the sustainability of LeBeau's defense for about three years now.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  8. #18
    Starter
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    750
    Do you all remember the game that we opened with like 6 straight runs that didn't work? If Haley was still doing that stuff, everyone would want him gone. Something changed at one point during this season and we started playing more aggressively on offense. Was it all the injuries to the O-Line that caused them to go to a more no-huddle/spread offense? Pressure from losing all those games? I don't know. But I only want Haley back if he's going to keep coaching aggressively on offense. And to me that seems like it's when they hand the keys to Ben. I'll take more of that please.

  9. #19
    The no huddle package isn't big at the moment, but, I imagine with a third year in the offense, Haley can design more plays and allow Ben to call more of them...

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I say it over and over. Talent is an issue but the problem is that the way the defense is designed there is no margin for error. When you have all the "just right" pieces it is great but it takes too long to prime the pump and get a steady flow of new talent into LeBeau's overly complex scheme (excessively in my opinion).

    The required "conversions" of players out of college take too long and they are far from guaranteed to be successful. That is the effect we are now seeing come to the surface, which is why I have questioned the sustainability of LeBeau's defense for about three years now.
    You've questioned the D since the trib board days, falling in love with whatever defense was hot in a given year. Look at Dallas - you need personnel to run the Tampa 2 as well. The guys that the Steelers are trotting out there on D simply aren't talented enough as a group. Lawrence Timmons is a complimentary player but he can't put a D on his back like Harrison could. Outside of Heyward, the rest of the defensive line is comprised of, at best, marginal talent. Vince Williams, a 2 down linebacker in college, is getting significant play. Add in to that an aging Clark, etc., and it's amazing to get anything out of this D. The players don't need to be perfect, but you need talent.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •