Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Todd Haley needs to return in 2014

Starter
    same could be said for LeBeau's defense...

Starter
    but the vast majority of the membership on here is calling for his retirement. Doesn't make sense to me.

Steelers' Tomlin doesn't address possible staff changes

By Alan Robinson
    Published: Monday, Dec. 30, 2013

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin wouldn't say Monday if he expects any coaching staff changes in 2014.

Tomlin also declined to say that offensive coordinator Todd Haley and/or defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau would return, but there has been no signal from ownership that any changes are being considered.

Both Haley and LeBeau said they want to return next season.

Often, Tomlin uses his season-ending news conference to endorse the return of his assistant coaches. He did that following the 2011 season, only to have former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians be pushed out of his job by ownership a few days later.

So, this time, Tomlin said only that he has yet to discuss such off-season issues with owners Dan and Art Rooney II and general manager Kevin Colbert.

“I'm not getting into that,” he said. “I won't address any personnel or staff issues. I will at some point. I acknowledge that change is a part of football, in staff and players.”

He also wouldn't confirm there is a plan in place for linebackers coach Keith Butler to replace the 76-year-old LeBeau as defensive coordinator.

Tomlin also wouldn't discuss any possible personnel changes, of which there are expected to be many. The Steelers have 18 free agents — or about one-third of their roster — and the roster likely will undergo a significant overhaul.

The Steelers nearly sneaked into the playoffs — they have never made the postseason with such a record — by winning their final three games, but the Chargers held off the Chiefs, 27-24, Sunday in overtime. The Chiefs' Ryan Succop missed a 41-yard field goal try with eight seconds remaining that would have won it and sent the Steelers to play a wild-card game in Cincinnati.

Tomlin obviously was disappointed with that result — “What do you think?” he said — but he added, “I'm not going to lose sleep over something that happened in a stadium we weren't even in.”

Tomlin also said:

• Cornerback Curtis Brown will have ACL surgery Friday. He first needed his injured MCL to heal. There is no procedure scheduled for linebacker LaMarr Woodley (calf), who missed the final three games. Wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery (ribs) and nose tackle Steve McLendon (high ankle sprain) were reinjured Sunday in the 20-7 victory over the Browns.

• That, after going 8-8 for the second season in a row, “Our record speaks for itself. … We didn't do enough to state our case (to make the playoffs).”

• Despite being disappointed with the season, he has enormous respect for his players for fighting back from the 0-4 start to go 6-2 in the second half of the season and 8-4 in the final three-fourths of the season.

“There are plenty of things to be proud of, plenty of things that need work,” he said.

• The offense didn't necessarily end the season ahead of the defense; he pointed to the defense's No. 13 rating — down from No. 1 last season — and the offense's No. 20 rating.

• He intends to “roll his sleeves up” and offer suggestions as a member of the competition committee to improve the NFL's rules. He is in his first year on the committee, which determines many of the league's rules and policies.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2ozCGrr3w

yesterday was the first game where i *really* liked the offensive play calling... they only tried that stupid WR screen on 3rd and long once that i recall.

LeBeau... just needs a new defensive interior... NT, ILB and he'll be good. Even as Casey aged, he still commanded a double-team. if you don't think taking TWO offensive linemen makes a difference in being able to free up LB's.... well... then, you're missing the boat. LeBeau will BEG for Nix in the first...
    Mock 3.0
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy
    3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama
    4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
    5. Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
    6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati
    7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

2013 MNF Executive Champion!

I would be surprised if Haley isn't considered for a HC position, with the openings now.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post

LeBeau... just needs a new defensive interior... NT, ILB and he'll be good.
    But the way he operates it will be 2-3 years before those new pieces make an impact. So we want him coaching at 79 or 80? Really?
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    But the way he operates it will be 2-3 years before those new pieces make an impact. So we want him coaching at 79 or 80? Really?
    No, I hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    yesterday was the first game where i *really* liked the offensive play calling... they only tried that stupid WR screen on 3rd and long once that i recall.

LeBeau... just needs a new defensive interior... NT, ILB and he'll be good. Even as Casey aged, he still commanded a double-team. if you don't think taking TWO offensive linemen makes a difference in being able to free up LB's.... well... then, you're missing the boat. LeBeau will BEG for Nix in the first...
    This. Most people don't realize the loss of Hampton and Farrior (and Foote) has really affected this D's play against the run. Add in the loss of Aaron Smith and you are looking at 3 of the best players in the NFL at their respective positions at some point in the careers!

I saw a couple runs yesterday with gaping holes in the middle of the field. At one point between 2005-2010 that would NEVER happen and teams were ALWAYS one dimensional.

Pro Bowler
    Like Ovideo said.
    I would just love to see Butler get a chance.
    Keep LeBeau on as an assistant DC or some other advisory position.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    This. Most people don't realize the loss of Hampton and Farrior (and Foote) has really affected this D's play against the run. Add in the loss of Aaron Smith and you are looking at 3 of the best players in the NFL at their respective positions at some point in the careers!

I saw a couple runs yesterday with gaping holes in the middle of the field. At one point between 2005-2010 that would NEVER happen and teams were ALWAYS one dimensional.

But we don't have the players you mention and yet we want to do the exact same thing. Just drafting a body to fill the position is no guarantee that we could get players who would be close to Smith, Farrior or Hampton.

The defense has to be changed to match the players we actually have and we need to quit trying to force players into the system.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!