Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: woodley assured being cut now

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Calf injuries can take from a week to many months depending on the severity of the calf injury. I would assume if they are putting Woodley on the IR they suspect he has at least a grade II calf strain which would put him out for the remainder of the season. Speculation about their future plans with Woodley based on an IR designation is probably not going to be accurate.
    Yep. Remember Polamalu's calf strain?

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Yep. Remember Polamalu's calf strain?
    I do. Calf strains can actually be bad enough to warrant surgery.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I can see them asking for a pay cut, but adding in bonuses based on performance and games played which would allow him to recoup a large chunk of what they ask him to give back.

It's the way ANY contract should be structured... performance based. Sadly, owners have caved to agents seeking guaranteed money. Guaranteed money generally guarantees non-performance.

Hall of Famer
    i think he might be a june 1st cut next year

but placing him on IR now has nothing to do with it

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    It's the way ANY contract should be structured... performance based. Sadly, owners have caved to agents seeking guaranteed money. Guaranteed money generally guarantees non-performance.
    Actually, the huge amounts of guaranteed money is more of a trade off for the non-guaranteed contracts. In other sports you don't see as much guaranteed, but the team is saddled with the contract throughout.

Pro Bowler
    They can designate Woodley as a Jun 1st cut and actually release him before then.
    Each team is allowed to designate up to 2 players as Jun 1st cuts for cap purposes.
    If the Steelers do this, his cap hit for
    2014- $5,590,000 in DEAD $$$
    2015- $5,590,000 + $2,990,000 = $8,580,000(remaining accelerated signing bonus) in DEAD $$$
    So in actuality if he's designated a Jun 1st cut and we don't have to pay his salary.
    2014 - $8,000,000(base salary) minus $5,590,000(dead $$$ cap hit) = $2,410,000 cap hit
    2015 - $8,500,000(base salary) minus $8,580,000(dead $$$ cap hit) = $80,000 cap hit
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night
    Last edited by pittpete; 12-18-2013 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    They can designate Woodley as a Jun 1st cut and actually release him before then.
    Each team is allowed to designate up to 2 players as Jun 1st cuts for cap purposes.
    If the Steelers do this, his cap hit for
    2014- $5,590,000 in DEAD $$$
    2015- $5,590,000 + $2,990,000 = $8,580,000(remaining accelerated signing bonus) in DEAD $$$
    So in actuality if he's designated a Jun 1st cut and we don't have to pay his salary.
    2014 - $8,000,000(base salary) minus $5,590,000(dead $$$ cap hit) = $2,410,000 cap hit
    2015 - $8,500,000(base salary) minus $8,580,000(dead $$$ cap hit) = $80,000 cap hit
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night
    Except if he is designated as a June 1st cut ... his TOTAL salary (bonus and base pay) stays on the book for cap purposes until ...... June 1st. So, they would have to find other ways to "massage" the cap in order to sign Worilds.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    Except if he is designated as a June 1st cut ... his TOTAL salary (bonus and base pay) stays on the book for cap purposes until ...... June 1st. So, they would have to find other ways to "massage" the cap in order to sign Worilds.
    yes, you are absolutely correct.

This only happens if Worilds signs a contract for the Steelers. Not going to dump Woodley without a starting LB signed. I would keep Woodley around for 2014 to see if Worilds and Jones are ready and stay healthy. Maybe being demoted will light a off season fire under Woodley.

I don't think Woodley got the big contract and then took a dive. I think it's been a bad luck run of injuries but; was it due to him not staying in shape ? I believe a lot of these guys after having so much success with championships, winning a couple of Super Bowls that, they lose the focus or desire to give their all. I hardly think placing Woodley on IR is a testimony of his future with the team. Anyone that thinks we have more than a normal chance of getting into the playoffs outside of " we should be there on merit other than waiting for a blessing from above " is too over the moon with this team.