Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Steelers first pick of the 2014 NFL draft is...

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers first pick of the 2014 NFL draft is...

As the season is starting to clear up, it's becoming more clear that the Steelers will be a top 15 pick. Looking at the top players in the draft I have come up with my list, in order of probablility of the Steelers first round selection. I would love to get some feedback and see some other peoples lists.

1) Chris Kouandjio-LT Alabama, Matthews will be long gone. Not to mention I believe Kouandjio to have the higher overall ceiling. This is the most athletic LT in the draft. He is a day 1 plug in and an instant solution to the Steelers LT woes.

2) Cameron Erving-LT FSU, Another athletically gifted LT. While many draft boards have Lewan ahead of Erving, I'm not so sure Lewan is all that. Erving is reported to be smooth, fluid and agile for a big man. I think you could flip flop him and Kouandjio...as both IMO would be ideal franchise LT's.

3) Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, DB-Oregon, probably the most physical corner in this draft. Probably by mid season he is getting significant playing time in specialty packages, year 2 starter. I really like Dennard out of MSU, but with his injury history and the lack of elite WR talent in the Big Ten, I have to pass on him. Olomu is a big hitting ball hawk and should instantly infuse turnovers into our D. I am concerned about his lack of elite speed. He might make a better safety.

4) Ha Ha Clinton-Dix-FS, he would look real good beside the shark and should solidify our safeties (barring injury) for many seasons. The knock on him is physicality. But, in today's game having a head hunter in centerfield has become less important. This guy is a ball hawk with terrific playmaking ability. If we are drafting around 15, he becomes a real consideration.

5) Louis Nix, NT Notre Dame, huge and agile but struggled against the Alabama OL last season. Guys like him don't come around after the first round. We now know how important the NT position is for LeBeau. But, I think there are a few things that keep the Steelers from drafting him. First, he is a two down player with endurance issues. Second, he has struggled against elite talent. Also, I think the Steelers have their future NT in Al Woods. I have heard reports of him being "unblockable" in camp which makes me think it was more a cerebral issue keeping him off the field until now.

On the outside looking in.

1) Mike Evans-WR- Tex A&M, wow, I really like this guy but he is a luxury the Steelers can't afford. While I know the Steelers try to pick BPA, I don't think they go with WR in the first this year. They are in bit of a hole and have to dig themselves out.

2) Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech-terrific receiving TE, but issue with attitude/maturity and questionable blocking will keep him off the Steelers draft board.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I would love to see us get Kouandijo (plus bonus of cool name) or Erving. Not thrilled yet about I E-O, Ha Ha or Nix (I think McCullers in Round 2 could be better for us).

I really like both Evans and Amaro if we are picking 15-20 range and the Left Tackles are off the board.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I would love to see us get Kouandijo (plus bonus of cool name) or Erving. Not thrilled yet about I E-O, Ha Ha or Nix (I think McCullers in Round 2 could be better for us).

I really like both Evans and Amaro if we are picking 15-20 range and the Left Tackles are off the board.

i want one of those guys, preferably in reverse order than you have them listed.
    i think beachum is gonna be our LT. if not, adams still has a shot.
    this league is about scoring, lets get with the program and draft a stud TE(Amaro) and then a big wr in the second round(Benjamin). the rest of the draft can go defense then(s, cb, nt ilb)
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    i want one of those guys, preferably in reverse order than you have them listed.
    i think beachum is gonna be our LT. if not, adams still has a shot.
    this league is about scoring, lets get with the program and draft a stud TE(Amaro) and then a big wr in the second round(Benjamin). the rest of the draft can go defense then(s, cb, nt ilb)

I agree with what you saying about scoring. Our offense needs to get more and more potent to win a championship. Defense does not win anymore. You are good enough if you have a middle of the pack defense rankings wise as long as you can excel at sacks and turnovers.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hard to say not knowing where we are & who declares. This LT debate is tough to call. I would say if the Steelers are in the 15-20 range...I don't like LT because I think you may be looking at Lewan who may be the "Who's left" card. At that point, Adams & Beachum would be my LT approach. If they are in the 10-15...It may be hard to pass one up.

Assuming Matthews is gone where the Steelers pick:
    1. Greg Robinson OT (If he declares)
    2. Sammy Watkins WR
    3. Mike Evans WR
    4. Chris Kouandjio OT
    5. Jace Amaro TE (If he declares)
    6. Trade Down

Backup

User Info Menu

Tend to disagree in regards to defense... if offense alone won titles, the '07 and '11 Pats would have rings, not the Giants. Those Giants also left the offensive juggernaut that was Green Bay in '11 as roadkill. The Rats and Average Joe Flacco beat Denver and New England on the way to the win last year. This year I have to look at Seattle as the overwhelming favorite. All the teams I mentioned had good, not great, offenses and excellent defenses led by a fierce pass rush. Forcing offenses to make mistakes is the key to separating yourself from the pack in this league - everybody can score these days if they have time and space in which to operate.

All this is to say... I want Louis Nix. Get me a Haloti Ngata type pocket collapser in this defense. Let's eat up two linemen at the point of attack and see if Son of Ironhead doesn't end up looking even better next year. Win the line of scrimmage.

I really think the O Linemen are improving and will gel into a pretty good unit next year, especially if Haley and his quick throw offense are still here to protect them. Don't want another high pick OL. The team won't properly utilize a second TE, so it's not a position worth a first round pick in a draft where the NFL may be stalking your comp 3. WR talent can be had later in this draft. There's decent CB talent as well, but Nix is head and shoulders the best NT available.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Hard to say not knowing where we are & who declares. This LT debate is tough to call. I would say if the Steelers are in the 15-20 range...I don't like LT because I think you may be looking at Lewan who may be the "Who's left" card. At that point, Adams & Beachum would be my LT approach. If they are in the 10-15...It may be hard to pass one up.

Assuming Matthews is gone where the Steelers pick:
    1. Greg Robinson OT (If he declares)
    2. Sammy Watkins WR
    3. Mike Evans WR
    4. Chris Kouandjio OT
    5. Jace Amaro TE (If he declares)
    6. Trade Down
    I agree with you about Lewan. I don't want him. I have my concerns about Watkins and Amaro as both have a rep for either getting in trouble or immaturity. I love Mike Evans, just not sure we can afford a first round WR.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Im on the Amaro bandwagon if he declares. I think he'd be the best receiver in the draft period. He's a weapon that would open up so much for this offense.

Im also a little torn because I think our D is where our talent gap really lies.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by B&GinNC View Post
    Tend to disagree in regards to defense... if offense alone won titles, the '07 and '11 Pats would have rings, not the Giants. Those Giants also left the offensive juggernaut that was Green Bay in '11 as roadkill. The Rats and Average Joe Flacco beat Denver and New England on the way to the win last year. This year I have to look at Seattle as the overwhelming favorite. All the teams I mentioned had good, not great, offenses and excellent defenses led by a fierce pass rush. Forcing offenses to make mistakes is the key to separating yourself from the pack in this league - everybody can score these days if they have time and space in which to operate.

All this is to say... I want Louis Nix. Get me a Haloti Ngata type pocket collapser in this defense. Let's eat up two linemen at the point of attack and see if Son of Ironhead doesn't end up looking even better next year. Win the line of scrimmage.

I really think the O Linemen are improving and will gel into a pretty good unit next year, especially if Haley and his quick throw offense are still here to protect them. Don't want another high pick OL. The team won't properly utilize a second TE, so it's not a position worth a first round pick in a draft where the NFL may be stalking your comp 3. WR talent can be had later in this draft. There's decent CB talent as well, but Nix is head and shoulders the best NT available.
    I would agree with you if I thought Nix was Ngata.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This team needs YOUTH on Defense. HOWEVER, if a STUD LT is there and Beachum can play RT, I like our O-Line moving forward. BUT this teams needs a playmaker in our Secondary.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!