Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Steelers first pick of the 2014 NFL draft is...

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Regardless, this organization generally follows through with what they say. Question all you want, this team is never swayed by what the fans want for players. When they say they are happy with a certain player at a certain position, they never go into the upcoming draft feeling as if that position is the most important position to fill in the draft.

hmm

strange then when they said that gilbert was going to be the eventual left tackle, that tehy drafted mike adams in the 2nd round .

i just replied with 2 examples of what they and the local media have said in the past that have been far from the truth.
    they were also very vocal on how well willie colon played for the team

point is dont listen to them. a lot of it is smokescreen

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Not sure what games you have seen Lewan play but I have never seen him get manhandled. If anything he is overly aggressive and manhandles the crap out of opponents.
    Lewan got handled by a freshman and a sophomore in the OSU/Michigan game. Bosa and Spence tore him a new one.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I don't want ANY WR's in the first round... WR isn't our problem.
    WR isn't our problem, you're right. BUT--at some point, value should trump need. I've read where Watkins is a Top 10 talent. Let's say we're picking at 15, and the only guys available, are valued at/around 15-20, I would seriously consider Watkins (even though we don't need a WR).

Let's take last year's draft, and pretend we are in the same position (Pick 17). I think Watkins is projecting like Tavon Austin last year. If Tavon Austin were to fall to us at 17, and given our current needs (OL, DB, NT), who could we take (pretending Austin were to have slid)?

Eric Reid (S from LSU, picked 18 by SF)?
    Justin Pugh (OT from Syracuse picked 19 by NYG)?
    Lotulelei (who got picked at 14)?
    and Tavon Austin

If those are the choices, IMO, there is a point where value trumps perceived need. (Only thing that might hold me back, is thinking it might stunt Wheaton's growth.)
    Last edited by Shoe; 12-19-2013 at 09:59 PM.

I think you can cross off OL on your list as a need at this point. Maybe in the later rounds for some competition, but no way in the earlier rounds at this point with the young guys they've invested in......... Wouldn't it be nice to get a defensive playmaker on this team, whether it be a LB, DE, or DB?
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    I think you can cross off OL on your list as a need at this point. Maybe in the later rounds for some competition, but no way in the earlier rounds at this point with the young guys they've invested in......... Wouldn't it be nice to get a defensive playmaker on this team, whether it be a LB, DE, or DB?
    I think so too. I don't think Beachum is long-term a star, but I think he is more than serviceable. And he's versatile as heck. Gilbert can be serviceable. Don't know Levi Brown's future with the team, but he is at best that (serviceable). Adams is still awful IMO. But the point is, we have plenty of YOUNG talent at the position. I don't think it would be wise to invest another high pick there, short of Jake Matthews.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I don't want ANY WR's in the first round... WR isn't our problem.
    Outside of Brown, WR is weak. Cotchery is fine as a #3, but well below average as a #2. Sanders will likely be gone. Wheaton is an unknown. A big WR who can make a catch even when covered would help this team a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I agree dub. Its pretty easy to see if you pay attention that they believe this OL can develop.

I hoping for the scenario posted earlier. Try to trade back and take the best CB that fits what they want to do. Maybe we can recoup that 3rd we gave away.
    The line has developed very nicely over the past few weeks. Something like 2 sacks in 5 games - it doesn't get any better than that. And this is with Wallace at center. Early in the season, I absolutely thought offensive line was the biggest need. It would be tough to pass on a franchise type LT, but otherwise, I think any pick on the line this year is just for depth.

I would be happy with any of these positions in the 1st round: WR, LT, NT, FS, CB and possibly a pass catching TE.

It all comes down to BPA at a position of need.

I don't think there is a NT, FS, or TE will be BPA where we are drafting. That narrows it down to WR, LT and possibly CB. I have a hunch that LT will NOT be the pick due to the high pick investments over the last several years. That could change if someone falls but that's not likely with LTs.

With that being said, if its a WR, I hope its Evans.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    WR isn't our problem, you're right. BUT--at some point, value should trump need. I've read where Watkins is a Top 10 talent. Let's say we're picking at 15, and the only guys available, are valued at/around 15-20, I would seriously consider Watkins (even though we don't need a WR).

Let's take last year's draft, and pretend we are in the same position (Pick 17). I think Watkins is projecting like Tavon Austin last year. If Tavon Austin were to fall to us at 17, and given our current needs (OL, DB, NT), who could we take (pretending Austin were to have slid)?

and Tavon Austin

If those are the choices, IMO, there is a point where value trumps perceived need. (Only thing that might hold me back, is thinking it might stunt Wheaton's growth.)
    I agree with you on the value trumps need, but only if it is a significant difference.

As for WR's last year there was great value in rounds 2 and 3 for WR's. Terrence Williams, Robert Woods, and Keenan Allen have been solid picks and immediate contributors. Allen, who I once had as the Steelers first pick last year, has been off the charts and has been a huge contributor in Phillip Rivers turn around.

This next draft, I believe will be loaded with top flight Wr's for rounds 2 and 3.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post

and Tavon Austin

I would pick Reid or Lotulelei...

Like Dub said... I think WR is a position you can get in later rounds. Brown was a 6th rounder, Wallace was a 3rd I believe...

and like you said, we have Wheaton, Moyer, etc... I also think Sanders will be back. He is the knew whipping toy this year on offense but his production is pretty good IMO.