Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Steelers first pick of the 2014 NFL draft is...

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    ...as long as he isn't another "overrated Mike Wallace." The little I have seen of him playing shows me he has a far greater complement of skills than just running fast.
    I'm honestly not sure what people see in Watkins...at least as a top 15 pick. He reminds me of a less polished Santonio Holmes including the marijuana baggage. Holmes IMO was a way more polished route runner, quicker in short space, equally fast top end, and had comparable hands. If Holmes would have had Boyd throwing to him, he would have tore up the NCAA. Would you pass on an elite DB, or a franchise LT for Holmes? I sure wouldn't.

...as long as he isn't another "overrated Mike Wallace." The little I have seen of him playing shows me he has a far greater complement of skills than just running fast.
    Watkins isn't nearly as fast as Wallace. Watkins is a 4.4-4.5 kinda guy...although he self reported to run an "unofficial" 4.2. So, comparing him to Wallace isn't a good comparison. Wallace is a freak. Holmes was faster than Watkins coming out of college...that is a better comparison. He is a poor man's Santonio Holmes.

Legend
    I don't want ANY WR's in the first round... WR isn't our problem.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I don't want ANY WR's in the first round... WR isn't our problem.
    I agree. I can think of at least five positions that we have a greater need at than WR---in order Left Tackle, Cornerback, Tight End, Safety, Nose Tackle
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

I agree. I can think of at least five positions that we have a greater need at than WR---in order Left Tackle, Cornerback, Tight End, Safety, Nose Tackle
    I would agree with that. We need a LT, DB, and NT probably equally. IMO, it's about best player available in those positions.

Watkins is a really good player.

But he's in the same mold as our other WRs. I'd be more interested in getting a large target for Big Ben whether that's a TE or a tall WR like Evans.

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Watkins is a really good player.

But he's in the same mold as our other WRs. I'd be more interested in getting a large target for Big Ben whether that's a TE or a tall WR like Evans.
    I totally agree with you. I much prefer Evans based upon him giving us that big target that Ben seems to like.

Hall of Famer
    NT-(Any DL) I would say an upgrade at NT would be nice. I'm just not sure at this point they will commit to a 2 gap-2 down player unless he is as dominant as a Ngata & Nix is not.

LB-(Any LB) I would have to say no. Even if I go worst case scenario. One of Woodley-Worilds will be here. Hopefully Worilds. Even if they feel Spence won't be able to play...Foote will be back & Vince Williams did enough where the could look in the mid rounds.

S-No 1st round safety.

CB-Absolutely. Still don't have a Top 20 guy who fits the Steelers. Trade back for Dennard or Gilbert...I'm good with that.

LT - (Any OL) ISN'T A "need" but they will take one if Matthews, Robinson, or Kouandjio falls in their laps. Im guessing the Steelers will be picking 17th (ish) so I doubt any of them make it that far.

QB-No

RB-No

TE-Yes. If Amaro comes out he may move inside Top 20. Not a fan of Ebron on this team. Of course...Seferian-Jenkins in a trade back.

WR-Guys... When Sanders leaves...WR is a big need. I'm sure they will retain Cothery. What have we seen...besides what he does on Xbox...gives you any reason to believe Wheaton is ready or capable of being a #2? Even with a loaded roster at WR...Brown managed 16 catches his rookie year....Sanders 28...Wallace 39. Wheaton is on pace to catch...Well lets say 6 because he has 6. Wheaton was injured yes...But even when he was on the field against #3 & #4 Cbs....I didn't see the guy grazing in open pastures. He has some work. His route running isn't as good as I thought it would be. He needs to get a little stronger in his upper body...He struggles with seperation in press. He gets knocked off his routes way to easy. I have no doubt Wheaton will be a productive player. I think he will be a great #3 & that duty will be all his when Cotchery is done. If Watkins interviews well with the Brass...That is a rookie with impact. If Evans is around...I'll deliver the card. The guy who may climb into 1st round consideration is Burress..I mean Benjamin.

Things may change as this process unfolds & the new league year kicks in. Judging by where I think the Steelers will draft (16-19)...Who will be on the board...And what happens in FA & cuts...I would say WR, TE, CB, NT, & LT is what will be staring them in the face in the 1st. If I had 5 players graded the same...I would value them in that order.

.....we have a greater need at than WR---in order Left Tackle, Cornerback, Tight End, Safety, Nose Tackle
    Once again, the Steelers do not agree with you. They are very pleased with the job Kelvin Beechum is doing. Are you not paying attention to what they are telling people?
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Watkins isn't nearly as fast as Wallace. Watkins is a 4.4-4.5 kinda guy...although he self reported to run an "unofficial" 4.2. So, comparing him to Wallace isn't a good comparison. Wallace is a freak. Holmes was faster than Watkins coming out of college...that is a better comparison. He is a poor man's Santonio Holmes.
    That difference in speed means very little in the NFL. Keenan Allen ran a 4.71, 4.75 last year and he is tearing it up in his first year. Physical separation, quickness, and route running is just as important in today's game.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash