Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: The Steelers first pick of the 2014 NFL draft is...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    we may receive a 7th round selection for Mendy, although signing QB Bruce Gradkowski may cancel that out.
    Thank you. Forgot that signing players can cancel out comp picks. How does that work? Is it all about the money? Does original draft selection come into play at all?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    If we draft a punter.. especially in the 5th, I will jump off the closest bridge.
    Well I will not be jumping off any bridges but will be jacked! Taking a punter early did not work very well last time. I hope a punter is not BPA when we pick in the 5th through 7th. Now maybe a 7th rd comp I could risk it! Who is the best punter in this draft right now?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    Well I will not be jumping off any bridges but will be jacked! Taking a punter early did not work very well last time. I hope a punter is not BPA when we pick in the 5th through 7th. Now maybe a 7th rd comp I could risk it! Who is the best punter in this draft right now?
    With all of the work that's done in the draft, it still has a luck element built in. Imagine having a punter with a booming leg and who could actually be a serious threat to tackle the returner? Of course, that image was brought back to earth when the guy couldn't stay healthy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    It still is dying on the vine for me.

I'd rather go Beau Allen from Wisconsin or someone like that in the later rounds. I am still leaning for a LT if one is available.

exactly

why not try and find out if the current NT on the practice squad is starting material. like we had last year with the NT currently starting for the cards instead of wasting a 1st rounder before we knew we had a player
    dont wanna see another jarvis ones like pick when we already had a player on the roster

Legend

User Info Menu

nix better be a 3 down lineman if we use a 1st on him

i've read that we've spent more then 50% of our defensive plays in sub packages this year, and the league is growing more and more into a passing league

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    nix better be a 3 down lineman if we use a 1st on him

i've read that we've spent more then 50% of our defensive plays in sub packages this year, and the league is growing more and more into a passing league
    IMO Nix has lots of questions...ability to control his weight, knee surgery, etc. I never saw him play his best against the best competition. That would worry me.

Being labeled as the "best" NT in the draft isn't necessarily a wonderful endorsement since those guys are so hard to find and it is hardly a prediction for future success.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    IMO Nix has lots of questions...ability to control his weight, knee surgery, etc. I never saw him play his best against the best competition. That would worry me.

Being labeled as the "best" NT in the draft isn't necessarily a wonderful endorsement since those guys are so hard to find and it is hardly a prediction for future success.
    I'd love Nix - in the second - but not in the first. Unlikely to happen, I know.

The Steelers don't need a clone of Casey Hampton. But they need somebody who can control the middle better than what we saw from McClendon and Woods today.