Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Draft for the defense first guy, however i have to admit,....

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    One other thing... how great was our offense when we won the last 2 SB's. That was all defense.. Ben definitely made the most of his opportunities but our D made sure we didnt have to win shootouts

Every SB run had a game or 2 where the D scored more than our O.
    Exactly Dizz. A frosty, gritty, talented and capable unit on defense trumps the sexiest of offense first opponents 95% of the time. Especially when the stakes are at their highest.

Ie: If building and or rebuilding a franchise, one should do so with the defense as a priority IMO. Even in an age where the illusion is the supposed dominance or value of the aforementioned "sexy" offense so as to reach different demographics such as Wives, girlfriends and casual fans.

However,... if we cannot land a truthfully exceptional defensive prospect in the first and have to go offense,...let it at least be a player of relatively equal worth on that side of the ball. And i don't think any of this year's crop of O-lineman fit that bill for us in particular.

Not saying they are all bums,...that's ridiculous. Just saying i am agreement with the line of thinking of "Dude,...do we not already have a grip of said lineman that have not had the opportunity to demonstrate their true worth and or talent ?"

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Nope... I live in Charlotte and get to watch the Panthers. They were putting up 30+ and losing. They went D heavy the last 2 years and guess what? 8 straight wins and a chance for a #2 seed.

Doesnt matter how great the O is if the D cant protect a lead. Panthers were 2-13 in games decided by less than 7 points and most of the time the had the lead in the 4th but the D couldnt hold.
    I'm in the Charlotte area as well... and can make the statement even more specifically: ENOUGH offense + great D = victories. Your offense has to be good enough to get you the big comeback 4th quarter score if you need it and versatile enough to chew clock for a win.

The way you win games and neutralize great offenses is still by getting pressure out of your front 7, stopping the run and disrupting the timing of the passing game. Hits on the quarterback are big, and up the middle pressure is key. It's no accident, in my opinion, that Carolina is good this year after spending it's top 2 picks bolstering the interior of it's defensive line with guys who push the pocket and get in the opposing QB's face. Pressure is the kryptonite, whether it's Brady, Manning, Rodgers, whoever... none of them can complete a pass if they're on their keister 8 yards behind the line. San Diego proved that this week. The New York Giants proved that in a couple Super Bowls against Brady.

Legend

User Info Menu

A few years down the road, we aren't going to be looking at offense vs. defense. We are going to be looking at the player selected. The Steelers have a rare (for them) opportunity for a potential top 10 pick. They need the BPA, an impact player. Whether a big WR, a franchise OT, a ball hawk in the secondary or somebody in the defensive front 7, I don't really care, as long as they get an impact player.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    A few years down the road, we aren't going to be looking at offense vs. defense. We are going to be looking at the player selected. The Steelers have a rare (for them) opportunity for a potential top 10 pick. They need the BPA, an impact player. Whether a big WR, a franchise OT, a ball hawk in the secondary or somebody in the defensive front 7, I don't really care, as long as they get an impact player.
    Ain't that the truth. I agree 100%
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by B&GinNC View Post
    ENOUGH offense + great D = victories. Your offense has to be good enough to get you the big comeback 4th quarter score if you need it and versatile enough to chew clock for a win.
    Agree wholeheartedly. Both of our recent titles were a result of great D and enough offense. Same thing with the two recent titles for Giants and the two recent titles for the Ravens.

Flippy's been saying for years that Ben + defense = championships, and he is exactly right. Getting him shiny new toys is nice, but he's shown that he's good enough to replace the production of a Mike Wallace level talent with a solid but not spectacular Jerricho Cotchery without missing a beat. I'm sure Ben would love to be able to chuck the ball up to someone like Mike Evans, just like Stafford does with Megatron, Cutler does with Marshall and Jeffrey, Romo does with Bryant, but none of those teams are winning the Super Bowl any time soon with the defenses that they currently employ.

How many of those teams that feature high-flying Arena-bowl like offenses have won titles? Peyton's only SB victory came because of the Colts defense getting 5 Chicago turnovers and Rhodes and Addai rushing for 190 yards combined. Brees' only SB victory came in a season where people perceived that they were throwing the ball 70% of the time and running only 30%, but in actually, they were passing 54% and running 46%. Brady's SB victories came not with a high powered offense featuring the likes of Moss, Welker, or Gronk...they came with the likes of Branch, Givens, and Brown. Richard Seymour, Tedy Bruschi, and Ty Law (plus knowing the opponents playbook in the pre-Spygate days, of course) had more to do with those titles than a high powered offense. I think you have to go back to the Greatest Show on Turf to find a team that rode high-flying offensive dominance to a title, and I don't think we should try to replicate that model playing on Heinz Field.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Damn Ruth... you hit it out the park.