Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welcome to the bench

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

hawaiiansteel, I think McLendon would make a much better DE than NT in our 3-4 scheme.

perhaps our starting DL next season might be: Heyward - Woods - McLendon[/QUOTE]

Rookie

User Info Menu

I agree with McClendon at DE...he's under contract and has some quickness...

I'm sure he's strong, but not "phone booth" strong...not in the way that would enable him to hold up an entire season at starting NT...

He's 6-4...that's about the right height for a 3-4 DE in the Steelers scheme...see if you can keep Woods and if Fangupo can get stronger...

If McClendon can be disruptive at the 5-tech opposite Heyward, the D-line may have something...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Woodleys back on the bench with what I believe to be an injury to his other calf muscle now. Who was the player that had taken his place and what did you guys think about his play. I think this same player broke the jaw of the Bengals punter. Any opinions or thoughts on that special teams play ? Was it a legal hit ? I think they were both in the wrong position when that block was made. I don't believe 99% of NFL players try to jack up a kicker or a punter. I also think its difficult to also realize at times what player your blocking/defending. That's one tough punter, most guys would have been knocked out with such a hit.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    Woodleys back on the bench with what I believe to be an injury to his other calf muscle now. Who was the player that had taken his place and what did you guys think about his play. I think this same player broke the jaw of the Bengals punter. Any opinions or thoughts on that special teams play ? Was it a legal hit ? I think they were both in the wrong position when that block was made. I don't believe 99% of NFL players try to jack up a kicker or a punter. I also think its difficult to also realize at times what player your blocking/defending. That's one tough punter, most guys would have been knocked out with such a hit.
    Didn't Garvin go in at MLB not OLB. Jones came in for Woodley... did they rotate them?

Legend

User Info Menu

That block by Garvin was a thing of beauty.. I hope he turns into another UDFA LB who makes a name for himself.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    That block by Garvin was a thing of beauty.. I hope he turns into another UDFA LB who makes a name for himself.
    I'd like to see Alan Baxter brought back in...he was released in favor of Kion Wilson...mistake...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Al Woods looked good, but I like McClendon as a player. Like most have said, he may be better served at DE.

The block on the punter was awesome, welcome to Heinz

The kickoff coverage was absolutely atrocious though. Every return seemed to go to the 40-45 yd line. Luckily the Bengals off. couldn't take advantage of most of those.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yes, our kickoff coverage stunk and this needs to change next season with a new special teams coach. One that actually has a good track record please !