Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: St. LeBeau wants to return in 2014!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Great news! They couldn't hire a better DC if was let go and went elsewhere. We need mre playmakers on D. Lost too many and leaders as well. Gotta retool with a FA or 2 for starters, and some premium draft picks as well.....
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    That's nonsense. How many talent deficiencies can any scheme overcome? At the end of the day, you need talent.
    Really? We need a bunch of stars to stop Miami in the snow at home? Sorry.. not buying it. Also remember DL saw Keenan Lewis and thought we had better talent in another player. IMO its not talent its scheme.

Maybe San Diego has a bunch of stars on D... but IMO it looked like they had similar talent and put together a great game plan to beat a great QB on the road.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't know that Butler would change all that much. After all, he has a great relationship with DL and enough clout to make suggestions now. If he saw something(s) that would drastically improve this team, I'd imagine that we'd be doing it already.

Whether it is DL or Butler, I'd expect more of the same. We will continue to get younger and play a similar 3-4.

Then again, I am wrong about things a lot (as my wife enjoys pointing out).
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Really? We need a bunch of stars to stop Miami in the snow at home? Sorry.. not buying it. Also remember DL saw Keenan Lewis and thought we had better talent in another player. IMO its not talent its scheme.

Maybe San Diego has a bunch of stars on D... but IMO it looked like they had similar talent and put together a great game plan to beat a great QB on the road.
    So Lebeau is the reason Keenan Lewis left??? Last time I checked, Dick Lebeau isn't the GM of this team. I wanted to keep Lewis as well (to pair with Allen) but when a guy gets offered big money to head back home, it's hard to convince him to stay.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ha! I saw this story earlier today and figured it would push a select few over the edge if it was posted here.

I have no problem with Lebeau staying and I hope he does. IMO it's not scheme it's talent.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

Are you talking about the immature Keenan Lewis who got torched in a preseason game and then threw a temper tantrum, getting himself benched? Some guys take longer to mature.

Legend

User Info Menu

That's nonsense. How many talent deficiencies can any scheme overcome? At the end of the day, you need talent.
    I agree phillyesq. A scheme might cover up one or two weak positions, but not 5 or 6. However, I am a strong believer it only takes one true standout to completely change a unit. Troy used to be that guy, but he simply can't do it on every play anymore.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    So Lebeau is the reason Keenan Lewis left??? Last time I checked, Dick Lebeau isn't the GM of this team. I wanted to keep Lewis as well (to pair with Allen) but when a guy gets offered big money to head back home, it's hard to convince him to stay.
    I believe he is one of the reasons.... we didnt offer him a red penny and I would like to believe if DL said he was the future our FO would reconsider.

Legend

User Info Menu

Are you talking about the immature Keenan Lewis who got torched in a preseason game and then threw a temper tantrum, getting himself benched? Some guys take longer to mature.
    Yes... that one. The one with good hands who knows how to defend passes and actually catch a few.

Legend

User Info Menu

I kind of go both ways on DL. The main job of a co-ordinator is to put his people in position to make plays. I have seen way too many instances of missed tackles this year, an alarming amount. If this is the case then the players were in position to make plays, and just did not make them. Can you put that on the DC? That being said, other tactics like the 7 yard cushion also drive me nuts, especially when you see it almost all the time. I'd prefer to see them mix it up and keep the O guessing where the DBs will be. You can't use the excuse that it worked well 5 years ago when this was a dominant D, because everybody knows that there are no longer the horses up front who will force the QB into mistakes, which is what the cushion thrived on.

Like I said, both ways. I just don't know that the magic elixir is out there with another DC, so if DL is not back I have few expectations.