Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: St. LeBeau wants to return in 2014!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I believe he is one of the reasons.... we didnt offer him a red penny and I would like to believe if DL said he was the future our FO would reconsider.
    Wow, just wow! Anything else you want blame Lebeau for?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I kind of go both ways on DL. The main job of a co-ordinator is to put his people in position to make plays. I have seen way too many instances of missed tackles this year, an alarming amount. If this is the case then the players were in position to make plays, and just did not make them. Can you put that on the DC? That being said, other tactics like the 7 yard cushion also drive me nuts, especially when you see it almost all the time. I'd prefer to see them mix it up and keep the O guessing where the DBs will be. You can't use the excuse that it worked well 5 years ago when this was a dominant D, because everybody knows that there are no longer the horses up front who will force the QB into mistakes, which is what the cushion thrived on.

Like I said, both ways. I just don't know that the magic elixir is out there with another DC, so if DL is not back I have few expectations.
    I think now is the perfect time for us to replace DL. I appreciate his contributions but I beleive his scheme is stale and we need a new set of eyes to put these youngsters in the best position to succeed.

Some of DL's quotes this year scream of an elder who believes in a system that is no longer feared, respected or confusing to QBs.

If DL comes back do we really have expectations that this D will return to form under the same scheme? I don't because whoever we draft will need 2 or 3 years before they "get it"

I would prefer a stripped down playbook where players line up and punch the other team in the mouth and if we go down.... at least go down while fighting because this rope a dope wait for the O to make a mistake isnt working at all.

Legend

User Info Menu

we need a new set of eyes to put these youngsters in the best position to succeed.
    It's the oldest defense in the NFL.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Wow, just wow! Anything else you want blame Lebeau for?
    I'm making a list and posting it twice. Sorry but I believe DL isnt untouchable... and I repeat, I said I think he was ONE of the problems when it comes to our D evaluation.

Ive watched people rip our OC's while seeing the O lose players left and right but this D gets a pass because they dont have superstars at 6 positions.

I forgot tho... DL is untouchable, been here for an eternity but has no influence over personnel decisions. No way a guy like DL couldnt walk up to Colbert and say Lewis was the future of our secondary.

Im not saying DL os the sole reason for losing Lewis but look at our DB situation. We bring back guys like Gay, McFadden and kept Tyrone freaking Carter for an eternity because our D is too hard for young heads to figure out.

Look at Lewis and Mundy with us vs with their new teams. I truly believe our scheme hinders our evaluation of talent in our secondary.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    It's the oldest defense in the NFL.
    I'm talking about the players who will replace these old azz vets in the next year or 2. We are rebuilding, I would prefer to rebuild our D with the next DC instead of keeping DL for 1 or 2 seasons.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm talking about the players who will replace these old azz vets in the next year or 2. We are rebuilding, I would prefer to rebuild our D with the next DC instead of keeping DL for 1 or 2 seasons.
    And this backs up my argument perfectly that the problems on defense center around talent and not scheme.

The defense is a mess and they have holes everywhere, specifically at ILB, NT, Safety, CB and they need a replacement for Keisel. I think we can both agree that it's time for Colbert and company to begin addressing these needs. They're going to have to do it through the draft because the Steelers are going to be in salary cap hell for a few more years.

One thing is for certain, this offseason will be very interesting.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I believe he is one of the reasons.... we didnt offer him a red penny and I would like to believe if DL said he was the future our FO would reconsider.
    The reality is that Lewis was leaving for the Saints...period. He wanted to play in his hometown and its likely the Steelers were well aware of that. They were just respecting the mans wishes by not offering him a contract they knew he wasn't going to accept.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    The reality is that Lewis was leaving for the Saints...period. He wanted to play in his hometown and its likely the Steelers were well aware of that. They were just respecting the mans wishes by not offering him a contract they knew he wasn't going to accept.
    Maybe... but didn't we had a chance to extend him a year earlier and didn't do it. Now, some will say its because he didn't show much but that didnt stop us from keeping other players in a similar position.

You are probably right on his decision but for the fans sake it would have been nice to see us try to make him an offer.

Legend

User Info Menu

I respect OMD, but I think it is time for new blood at DC.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Maybe... but didn't we had a chance to extend him a year earlier and didn't do it. Now, some will say its because he didn't show much but that didnt stop us from keeping other players in a similar position.

You are probably right on his decision but for the fans sake it would have been nice to see us try to make him an offer.
    True that might have been nice... But based on some of the crazy things we have seen this year regarding personnel, I don't think the FO is too concerned with fan perception. haha, its been a crazy year
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.