Thread: The Offense: 4 Sacks in Last 4 Games

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

The Offense: 4 Sacks in Last 4 Games

[URL]http://pit.scout.com/2/1356017.html[/URL] This article gives a pretty interesting breakdown of the Steelers offensive stats over the last 4 games. They seemed to have turned a corner. Sorry for the bad formatting - Explorer was "upgraded" at work and now I have compatibility issues with this site.

Legend

User Info Menu

Todd Haley has said for weeks now that his offense is coming ever-so-close to becoming the offense no one has seen in Pittsburgh since Mel Blount changed the rules for Terry Bradshaw and his Hall of Fame receivers.
    Haley's boss, Mike Tomlin, validated that belief last Sunday by going for it on fourth-and-10 from his own 10-yard line.

The players believe it now, too, after watching tape of the Steelers' first game this season against their next opponent, the Cincinnati Bengals.

"We've grown a lot," said wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery. "Looking at the film of the second game of the year against Cincinnati, it's a totally different offense. So, yeah, I think the growth has been there consistently with the offense. I definitely see it getting even better in the future."

Before we jump off into the future and deign the folly of this season as a potential step-up to greatness next season, let's look at some statistics.

Ben Roethlisberger specified the improvement this way: "Sacks have gone down. Turnovers have gone down. Points have gone up."

And so the dividing line, or the confluence of those three main sets of statistics, seems to have been the Detroit game.

Up until then, some of us wanted Haley fired; some of us wanted Roethlisberger traded. But now?

In the last four games, the Steelers have turned the ball over once, been sacked four times, and have averaged 28 points per game.

Within those four games, Roethlisberger has made his own professional history by going two consecutive games without being sacked and not having been intercepted in 189 passes, or since the first series of the Buffalo game.

In these last four games, Roethlisberger has a passer rating of 107.8, after posting a passer rating of 87.6 in the first nine games. The main reason for that statistical jump is the 11-0 touchdown-interception ratio.

Cotchery, the veteran of the receiving corps, explained the reason behind the reason.

"We've identified some areas where we've just been, well, great in," he said, and he pointed to the no-huddle approach, the spreading of the receivers, and Roethlisberger calling his own plays at the line.

"Obviously those plays he's calling are in Todd's offense," Cotchery said. "But he's just calling the plays and seeing what he wants. ... When you're able to see the defense and call what you want, you know where you're going to get someone. Those things naturally happen a lot faster."

Roethlisberger was said to have been very upset with himself for the early sack/fumble in the Miami game, and that it inspired him to remain focused on getting rid of the ball quickly.

If that focus continues, the Steelers' offense could be headed for heights it hasn't seen through even three Super Bowl appearances.

Roethlisberger was asked if the Steelers could next season become that runaway juggernaut type of offense that's been spotted in places like Green Bay, New Orleans and New England throughout his career.

"I hope so," he said. "We've seen improvements. We've gotten better every week. I think we've got a lot of pieces in place that can make that next step, and I think the cohesiveness that we have on offense is a good thing and hopefully can translate into these last couple games and then translate into the off-season."

The Steelers believe the blossoming of rookie running back Le'Veon Bell has been the most important new piece to the offensive puzzle this season. Next year they're hoping that "one of our big receivers can step up," according to a team source.

Those "big receivers" are Derek Moye and Justin Brown, who are being praised for their daily work on the scout team this season.

The Steelers' braintrust is also pleased with the development of third-round pick Markus Wheaton, whom they believe lost confidence and took a step back when his mangled pinky finger cost him five weeks of practice after London, but whom they believe was playing "right with the big boys" until then.

"He's ready. He's ready," Cotchery said of Wheaton. "He's just caught in one of those situations like I was caught in. I was behind Emmanuel (Sanders), Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown.

"We don't do a lot of four-receivers (sets). We do some, but we don't do a lot. Bruce Arians did a lot of four-receivers, five-receivers, but we don't do a lot of that here. So he's just waiting."

Is Wheaton a player on the rise? Will he become a key factor next season?

"He'll be ready to go, the way he works," Cotchery said. "He's a smaller guy but he studies, catches the ball well. He can run with the ball, too. He'll be ready to go."

Next season? Well, that's all they've got at this point. But it's possible that the learning process this season could turn out to be the necessary price to pay for a juggernaut, if one actually does emerge next season.

And judging from the last four games, that's a real possibility.

NOTES -- Jason Worilds had his first sack Sunday nullified by Elias, which called it instead "an aborted play." Worilds still leads the Steelers with seven sacks. ... DE Ziggy Hood (ankle), RT Marcus Gilbert (ankle), DE Brett Keisel (foot), NT Steve McLendon (ankle) and SS Troy Polamalu (shoulder) sat out of Wednesday's practice.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Backup

User Info Menu

Todd Haley's offense is beginning to work, and Ben Roethlisberger has bought in and is thriving. This is great stuff, not only because of how it helps the team, but also because Haley and Roethlisberger are both considered punchlines in most places outside of Pittsburgh (and even a few within), so if they succeed together, then it'll be one of the biggest "**** you all" moments in NFL history.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    Todd Haley's offense is beginning to work, and Ben Roethlisberger has bought in and is thriving. This is great stuff, not only because of how it helps the team, but also because Haley and Roethlisberger are both considered punchlines in most places outside of Pittsburgh (and even a few within), so if they succeed together, then it'll be one of the biggest "**** you all" moments in NFL history.

Agreed. Im buying into the Haley idea now. If we'd had Velasco, the Miami game may even have gone our way.

Legend

User Info Menu

THE TURNAROUND

Over the last four games, against teams with a composite won-loss record of .481 and a combined defensive average that would rank 12th in yardage allowed and 13th in points allowed, the Steelers have turned the ball over once, been sacked four times, and averaged 28 points per game.

What turned around what had been an offensive mess?

"This question has been asked so many times but I understand it," Haley said. "I felt in training camp we had made significant progress as an offense. Unfortunately -- and they are not excuses, they are facts -- we had a lot of disruption at key positions throughout the season. The encouraging thing is that we’ve continued to improve and overcome some of those things but there were adjustments that had to be made. We were watching the tape of playing Cincinnati in our last game. David Paulson was lining up as the point-of-attack tight end. Our starting left tackle now, Beachum, was a backup tight end. Fernando Velasco was playing center, and we didn’t know how to pronounce his name yet. You didn’t see number 26, Le’Veon Bell, anywhere on tape. So a lot of different obstacles the guys have overcome. Again, what’s encouraging to me is that everybody has continued to work and get better, and I think that it’s shown. It has shown to anybody that watches the games. We are doing better in most areas and are playing at a level that gives us a chance to win."

[URL]http://pit.scout.com/2/1356973.html[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha