Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Tomlin, Jim Harbaugh reported as possible candidates for Texas Longhorn H.C. job

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Mike Tomlin, Jim Harbaugh reported as possible candidates for Texas Longhorn H.C. job

Report: Tomlin, Jim Harbaugh possible candidates at Texas
    Posted by Mike Florio on December 11, 2013, 1:07 PM EST

When it comes to his negotiations with the University of Texas, Alabama coach Nick Saban has plenty of leverage. Texas now may have some, too.

According to Chip Brown of Chip Brown of Orangebloods.com (via CBS Sports), Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh are potential candidates for the Longhorns vacancy.

It sounds ridiculous on the surface. Why would coaches of two of the most prominent NFL franchises consider any college job?

For starters, the money may be a lot better than what Tomlin and Jim Harbaugh currently are making or eventually will be making in their NFL jobs in Pennsylvania and California, respectively, especially when considering that the head coach of the Texas Longhorns pays no state income tax.

Then there’s the thing that drew Saban back to college after a two-year stint with the Dolphins: Control.

True control. No salary cap, no draft, no aggressive media. No General Manager or others in the front office who’ll plant stories or whisper in the ear of the owner about how the coach should be blamed for struggles.

And no owner. While there’s an Athletics Director and a school president and a board, the coach becomes the highest paid, highest profile, and in turn highest powered figure in a college town with a major college football program.

There’s currently no reason to think Tomlin or Jim Harbaugh would be interested in leaving for Texas or any other team. But they both could be interested in extending and/or improving their current deals. (Tomlin is signed through 2016, and Jim Harbaugh is under contract through 2015.)

Besides, NFL head-coaching contracts don’t seem to be as meaningless as college contracts. Saban got out easily from his deal in Miami because he specifically negotiated the ability to leave for a college job.

Saban got that term because he had leverage. Saban currently has it again. Turning the gaze to other candidates gives Texas a little of it back. And it in turn gives Tomlin and Jim Harbaugh a little leverage of their own.

Especially if/when either or both declare, “I’m not going to be the Texas coach.”
    [URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/11/report-tomlin-jim-harbaugh-possible-candidates-at-texas/[/URL]

Mike Tomlin, Jim Harbaugh reported as possible Texas candidates
    By Will Brinson | NFL Writer
    December 11, 2013 12:23 am ET

So the Texas job isn't even technically open yet, but CBSSports.com's Bruce Feldman reports that Mack Brown is on his way out, though the Longhorns administration is currently dealing with "a very messy situation." It's probably not going to get any easier going forward with the insane amount of rumors floating about the next possible coach.

To wit: Chip Brown of Orangebloods.com, who initially reported Brown was out and has always been a reliable source when it comes to Texas information, went on Fox Sports Live and reported that Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh are possible candidates for the job.

"I'm sure Texas hopes there's a chance there. I think there's no question Texas is going to aim high here. I've been told they're going to aim for a coach that's won a national championship or a Super Bowl. And I think Nick Saban's at the top of the list. I think Urban Meyer would probably be second. I've heard maybe Mike Tomlin could be approached in this. I think you have to look at guys like David Shaw -- even though he hasn't won a national title -- and Jim Harbaugh. Both had success at Stanford and school president Bill Powers is a Cal graduate and wants Texas to be seen in the same light as Cal and Stanford."

Texas is an awesome job. You have your own network and you're handed like six free wins a year just based on sheer talent level and schedule. There's an incredibly fertile recruiting area around the school and there's no income tax.

But there are only 32 NFL jobs. Guys who are having success like Tomlin (despite the Steelers recent struggles he has a Super Bowl win and a pair of AFC championships) and Harbaugh aren't bolting the NFL for a college football gig. You could argue that the Texas job is better than some NFL jobs (maybe, say, the Texans?). That's fine. But the 49ers and Steelers jobs don't open up very often. The Steelers have had three head coaches since 1969. That's a weekend for Dan Snyder.

You can never say never when it comes to coaching jobs and it comes to money. Like I said, Brown's been pretty spot on with Texans info. But that pair of names seems like a stretch.

On the bright side, we're definitely going to get press conference questions for Tomlin and Harbaugh about this rumor.
    [URL]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24371923/mike-tomlin-jim-harbaugh-reported-as-possible-texas-candidates[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Tomlin could be interested. He's not exactly on the hot seat but he's not far away either.

Let's face it....

- The FO reeled Tomlin in a bit on his draft input
    - The FO clearly overruled Tomlin regarding offense coordinator
    - Per the Rooney's, Tomlin job is "Safe for 2014". That statement is a vote of confidence that he won't be fired this year. But that isn't exactly a vote of confidence for a long term stay and rebuilding process. That statement clearly indicates that the Rooneys are giving Tomlin 1 more year to turn things around. If they don't win next year, he's done in Pittsburgh. It doesn't get any more clear than that.

Tomlin isn't stupid and he'll take these into consideration.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

I just read this over on PFT. I'm not sure what to think of it.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

that would be great, but i'm not banking on it.
    im not sure why anyone would rather coach in the nfl compared to college. college seems like a much better environment with more stability. of course, the steelers job is as stable as it gets. you never get fired regardless of production.
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

A college job is like a part time job compared to the NFL. I think anyone that's not an egomaniac would jump at a college job.

Why not go after a rah rah guy like Cowher or Gruden if you're Texas? Those guys would dominate in college with their personalities.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    A college job is like a part time job compared to the NFL. I think anyone that's not an egomaniac would jump at a college job.

Why not go after a rah rah guy like Cowher or Gruden if you're Texas? Those guys would dominate in college with their personalities.

i think the part time jobs they have now are even better
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post

Why not go after Will Smith or Obama?

Seriously though... NFL coaches don't go to the college level unless it's their true passion.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Why not go after Will Smith or Obama?

Seriously though... NFL coaches don't go to the college level unless it's their true passion.

Actually the people in TX would probably be willing to pay Obama infinity if he resigned from his current job - lol.

Legend

User Info Menu

Texas pays well but I cant see it at all.... makes no sense but it isn't the first time a school has over valued itself. If USC cant get a big time coach what makes Texas think it will?

Honestly.... this is shady journalism. There should be rules to this internet, blog, ppc where websites pull names and headlines out of their azzz to get clicks.

Tomlin is having a rough season... fans want him gone... throw out a headline and watch them flock like flies on sh!t
    Last edited by feltdizz; 12-11-2013 at 05:18 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Texas pays well but I cant see it at all.... makes no sense but it isn't the first time a school has over valued itself. If USC cant get a big time coach what makes Texas think it will?

Honestly.... this is shady journalism. There should be rules to this internet, blog, ppc where websites pull names and headlines out of their azzz to get clicks.

Tomlin is having a rough season... fans want him gone... throw out a headline and watch them flock like flies on sh!t
    It's nonsense speculation. Can you imagine giving up the best coaching job...maybe in all of sports?
    Trolls are people too.