Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mike Tomlin, Jim Harbaugh reported as possible candidates for Texas Longhorn H.C. job

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    i think tomlin's contract runs thru 2016 so he's safe until at least then. no way the rooneys would eat that contract and replace tomlin. they're frugal first.
    Quite possibly... but why didn't the Rooney's just say that?

They could have said.....

"Mike Tomlin's job is safe. He has a long term contract"

"Mike Tomlin is under contract thru 2016"

"Mike Tomlin is our long term answer at head coach"

..... and the list goes on & on. Instead, they said....

"Mike Tomlin's job is safe for 2014"

You don't think the Rooney's and their PR department have a reason for saying what they did?

I think the comment means EXACTLY what it reads. His job is safe for the entire 2014 season..... nothing longer, nothing shorter.

The Rooneys have publicly said nothing regarding Mike Tomlin's job security...

The "safe for 2014" was reported by Ian Rapaport...and we all know what a credible journalist he is...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Quite possibly... but why didn't the Rooney's just say that?

They could have said.....

"Mike Tomlin's job is safe. He has a long term contract"

"Mike Tomlin is under contract thru 2016"

"Mike Tomlin is our long term answer at head coach"

..... and the list goes on & on. Instead, they said....

You don't think the Rooney's and their PR department have a reason for saying what they did?

I think the comment means EXACTLY what it reads. His job is safe for the entire 2014 season..... nothing longer, nothing shorter.
    man... you are reaching on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    man... you are reaching on this one.
    Not really... I'm interpreting the report:

I know you love Mikey Mike.. no matter what. I'm simply stating that I think there was a reason for the "for 2014" in the above sentence.

Think about this though...IF Tomlin would take the job in Texas...that leaves...

Todd Haley probably as the new Head Coach.
    Round 1, Pick 15 (15)- Ryan Shazier, ILB; Ohio State
    Round 2, Pick 14 (46)- Stephon Tuitt, DE; Notre Dame
    Round 3b, Pick 33 (97)- Dri Archer, RB; Kent State
    Round 4, Pick 18 (118 )- Martavis Bryant, WR; Clemson
    Round 5, Pick 17 (157)- Shaquille Richardson, CB; Arizona
    Round 5b, Pick 33 (173)- Wesley Johnson, OT; Vanderbilt
    Round 6, Pick 16 (192)- Jordan Zumwalt, OLB; UCLA
    Round 6b, Pick 39 (215)- Daniel McCullers, DT; Tennessee
    Round 7, Pick 15 (230)- Rob Branchflower, TE; Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Texas pays well but I cant see it at all.... makes no sense but it isn't the first time a school has over valued itself. If USC cant get a big time coach what makes Texas think it will?

Honestly.... this is shady journalism. There should be rules to this internet, blog, ppc where websites pull names and headlines out of their azzz to get clicks.

Tomlin is having a rough season... fans want him gone... throw out a headline and watch them flock like flies on sh!t
    It's nonsense speculation. Can you imagine giving up the best coaching job...maybe in all of sports?

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Not really... I'm interpreting the report:

I know you love Mikey Mike.. no matter what. I'm simply stating that I think there was a reason for the "for 2014" in the above sentence.
    Again, the report was from Ian Rapaport....The "wouldn't be surprised" Ian Rapaport.....

Therefore, I'm interpreting the "report" as crap...

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Tomlin says he has no interest in being a college coach
    Posted by Mike Florio on December 13, 2013, 11:29 AM EST

Earlier this week, the names Jim Harbaugh and Mike Tomlin emerged out of the burnt orange in connection with the expected vacancy at the University of Texas.

Since the report came after Tomlin’s weekly press conference but before Harbaugh’s, Harbaugh has been asked about it publicly. Tomlin hasn’t been.

But Tomlin has told the team’s in-house publication, Steelers Digest, that he has no interest in being a college coach.

The question is whether interest could be generated by, for example, a huge financial offer dwarfing his current deal. Surely, there’s an offer that would prompt Tomlin to “lose my placement” as it relates to his employment.

Even if the folks in Austin were willing to break the bank for anyone not named Saban, the question would become whether Tomlin would be able to get out of his contract in Pittsburgh, even if he ever wanted to.

It’ll likely never get to that point. Sure, if the Steelers keep losing beyond 2013 Tomlin may have to consider coaching in college eventually. For now, it appears highly unlikely that he’ll be bolting for Texas or any other college job.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...college-coach/

Legend
    Reportd on ESPN are saying they jumped the gun with Browns resignation. The story sounded crazy to begin with...

There is as much chance that I'll be the next coach at UT as Mike Tomlin.