Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Tomlin, Jim Harbaugh reported as possible candidates for Texas Longhorn H.C. job

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I don't believe that Tomlin's job with the Steelers is in jeopardy in the least. Bill Cowher went through a longer stint of bad teams than Tomlin is right now; heck, he hasn't been below .500 yet. The Rooneys do not replace their hand picked coach; it has worked very well the past 40 years and I suspect it work well into the future. Now, that doesn't mean that Mike Tomlin wouldn't be interested in a job with no GM, no owner and complete control of the program. Of course, a couple seasons like the past two with the Steelers and you'd probably be out of a job in Austin.

I juast don't see Mike Tomlin going anywhere; this is really pretty shoddy reporting in my opinion.

Pappy
    Exactly... but please remember the rules of PlanetSteeler. You cant compare Tomlin to Cowher.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I don't believe that Tomlin's job with the Steelers is in jeopardy in the least. Bill Cowher went through a longer stint of bad teams than Tomlin is right now; heck, he hasn't been below .500 yet. The Rooneys do not replace their hand picked coach; it has worked very well the past 40 years and I suspect it work well into the future. Now, that doesn't mean that Mike Tomlin wouldn't be interested in a job with no GM, no owner and complete control of the program. Of course, a couple seasons like the past two with the Steelers and you'd probably be out of a job in Austin.

I juast don't see Mike Tomlin going anywhere; this is really pretty shoddy reporting in my opinion.

Pappy
    The Rooney's said ... "Tomlin's job is safe for 2014" ... That's a commitment for next year and no longer.

2014 is the make or break year... but I guarantee that if the team has a similar record next year, he's gone.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    The Rooney's said ... "Tomlin's job is safe for 2014" ... That's a commitment for next year and no longer.

2014 is the make or break year... but I guarantee that if the team has a similar record next year, he's gone.

way to go out on a limb with that prediction....

a better one; tell us how many games Tomlin needs to win to keep his job....?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    way to go out on a limb with that prediction....

a better one; tell us how many games Tomlin needs to win to keep his job....?
    I think the Rooney's threw the year in their statement for a reason. They could have said "Tomlin is our coach for the long term" or something like that but they didn't. They said "Tomlin's job is safe for 2014" and they added the year in that statement on purpose.

I don't know how many games.... .500? playoffs? I don't know. Obviously, I think the Rooney's have a specific # in mind. I think there are a couple other variables in the mix as well.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post

I just don't put much credence in the year being attached to the statement. The Rooneys have proven that they are patient. I don't see anything happening here that hasn't happened before under other coaches. I just don't think they'll make a knee jerk reaction because of a couple average years.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This is laughable to put it mildly.

Legend

User Info Menu

i think tomlin's contract runs thru 2016 so he's safe until at least then. no way the rooneys would eat that contract and replace tomlin. they're frugal first.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

College coaches make 6 million dollars + ???

Legend

User Info Menu

Also being reported that UT has changed it's official saying from "Hook 'Em Horns" to "Unleash Hell". Think that means anything...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Töm87 View Post
    College coaches make 6 million dollars + ???
    what's crazy is the 3rd highest college coach is at Arkansas...