Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I think we're going to be embarrassed Sunday night

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wish that the fans that have no desire to go would go to the steeler message boards and offer them for sale before going public with them

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I flew to PA last year to see the steelers play in december. Our season had already been determined at that point.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

And don't tell me the weather sucks too much. I got on a plane and it was 80 got off and it was in the 20's and I went.. stayed till the end and then stayed at the stadium for an hour afterwards.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    And don't tell me the weather sucks too much. I got on a plane and it was 80 got off and it was in the 20's and I went.. stayed till the end and then stayed at the stadium for an hour afterwards.
    really, Pittsburghers too cold? Come on!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    That's because you don't live there and you flew in to watch the game.

People in Minnesota react differently to the beach than people who were born and raised in Florida...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    But if you go to the game you get to see Antonio Brown after a loss, smiling and yucking it up and exchanging jerseys with AJ Green.
    He exchanged a jersey with Calvin Johnson after a win, so why not a loss. Every team/player and coaches are good sportsman with the exception of the Ravens Hairball/, Pats/ Bill and the other Hairball. We as fans are the poor sports.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JAR View Post
    and it won't be if the team plays like crap, it will be because of the number of Bengals fans that Steelers fans allowed inside of Heinz. Sorry to say, but our once greatest fan base in the league is no more.

Being a fan is supporting your team, win or lose.
    Before you rush to judge, fans have a whole host of reasons for not attending a game. I have tickets for Sunday and I'm not going to attend. If not driving across the state when they are calling for snow and sitting outside for 3+ hours while I'm sick makes me less of a fan in your eyes, so be it.

Backup

User Info Menu

There are socioeconomic changes occurring in the Burgh that are changing the constitution of fans that go to the game.

Since the mills closed in the 70's and 80's the city had been fairly depressed. For many people the only thing that kept our city positive through this depression was our blue collar heritage and championship history. Even during the 80's when the Steelers were playing poorly and the weather was atrocious many Pittsburghers preferred watching sub-par Steelers teams than facing the realities on the homefront.

I would say beginning in the mid 2000s Pittsburgh became competitive in attracting high paying tech jobs to the region and many of those people who took those jobs were boomerang Pittsburghers moving back home. On average, these workers have higher incomes than Pittsburghers who stayed and therefore drive the pricing for sporting events. Also, on average these people are not as connected to the blue collar heritage that Pittsburgh is synonomys for. They have no problem skipping a Steelers game if it really doesn't mean anything and the weather is not great.

The game has been yupified. The play on the field is softer and so are the fans. It's a reality that I have mixed feelings about because I grew up in the burgh and would like to return someday with a high paying job. First thing I would do is get some season tickets. Personally, I would give the tickets to my family if I could not make it to a game. No way would I sell tickets blindly. That's something that B-more fans do..lol! We have to realize that we on this board represent the top 1% of Steelers fans. Good, Bad, we will always be here posting away on these boards. It's just our thing.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I would go to every game if I lived in Pittsburgh and had season tickets.

However, its hard to warrant taking time off of work & paying over $1,000/person to fly to Pittsburgh, Buy Tickets, Hotel Rooms, Food/Drinks, etc for a team that is underperforming and continues to choke in games.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

i think its funny how some fans criticize others for not going. unless they attend every game, they have no room to talk. as far as the season ticket holders not going. they already contributed their money to help their team stay competitive when they bought those tickets in the spring. what have the complainers done?
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown