Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Pouncey's Worth - You're the GM

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    He is a slightly above average center and a comes off as a poor human being... His ties to Hernandez and the "Free Hernandez" hats forever turned me off from liking Pouncey. He graded out 12th last year? You still want to pay him top 5 money? Not only will you overpay but will be saddled with a potential bad character guy. I know that doesn't matter to a lot of folks, but I hope it matters to the Rooney's... With that said it will be interesting what they decide to do with him...

Did you see the way Cody Wallace pulled Dwyer for extra yardage for the first down last Sunday? Never saw Pouncey do that... But I have seen him get manhandled on many occasions... Not saying Cody Wallace is the answer, just saying Pouncey is easily replaceable. All hype and no character...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Where is the evidence that he gets trucked or overpowered? I haven't seen it. Pouncey, for the most part, handles his candles as far as I can tell. Coming out of college, he was known for holding up very well against power guys.

I think people are projecting his poor play (where he admittedly got whooped) in a preseason game, and acting like he's getting it done to him all the time. If anything, I've seen people beat him to a gap, to make a play. (Other than that preseason game) I don't recall watching him be whooped, certainly not as much as others on this thread want to make it seem.

And BTW, let's not call him a bad character because of his Free Hernandez garbage. If I had a BUDDY who was accused of murder, short of an admission, I would be supportive of him. It is bad judgement, to be sure. But it isn't like he held Odin Lloyd down while his buddy shot him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I've watched him many times getting tossed to the side or owned. I've seen it and that is my proof. I can't recall but Pouncey has had some off color comments. Your right, being young and saying the wrong thing doesn't make you a bad person.

Legend

User Info Menu

Shoe i've read a few times where he has had problems with the larger NT's in the league.
    I mean who doesnt.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Well, he's only had really the one recurring injury with the ankle.
    The other injury he couldn't avoid.
    I'm not making the point that he is injury prone, I'm making the point that recurring injuries to such a key area will weaken his leg strength and his tolerance to pain and stress in that area.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    And BTW, let's not call him a bad character because of his Free Hernandez garbage. If I had a BUDDY who was accused of murder, short of an admission, I would be supportive of him. It is bad judgement, to be sure. But it isn't like he held Odin Lloyd down while his buddy shot him.
    Much more than just the hat situation... Are you aware of this fact that the Pouncey brothers were with Hernandez the night when he shot a guy in the face down in Florida... they refused to cooperate with the police and the investigation... they certainly knew long before the murder accusation what a thug he was and were still happy to support their "BUDDY" and consider him a close friend... You know what they say about birds of feather? I hope Pouncey doesn't stick around to much longer...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Much more than just the hat situation... Are you aware of this fact that the Pouncey brothers were with Hernandez the night when he shot a guy in the face down in Florida... they refused to cooperate with the police and the investigation... they certainly knew long before the murder accusation what a thug he was and were still happy to support their "BUDDY" and consider him a close friend... You know what they say about birds of feather? I hope Pouncey doesn't stick around to much longer...

i think it would ne wise to take a wait and see approach to pouncy. this murder trial and shot in the face thing could get interesting
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'd trade him in a heartbeat for a 2nd rounder and then sign Velasco (assuming he will be healthy). I can't figure out how Pouncey has ever been highly regarded and yes, I have watched the tape. Velasco is better and a much better value. The way Beachum played his last few games, I think we may be OK with Beachum, Foster (resigned), Velasco (resigned), DeCastro and Gilbert/Adams.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel View Post
    I'd trade him in a heartbeat for a 2nd rounder and then sign Velasco (assuming he will be healthy). I can't figure out how Pouncey has ever been highly regarded and yes, I have watched the tape. Velasco is better and a much better value. The way Beachum played his last few games, I think we may be OK with Beachum, Foster (resigned), Velasco (resigned), DeCastro and Gilbert/Adams.
    I thought Beachum has done well enough and should improve. Velasco has the tools and size to get his job done and I've heard or read that prior to becoming a Steeler he graded/showed he is also a top flight center. That's nice to hear but all the same to me and from what I have seen, I'd take Velasco over Pouncey. For what Pouncey dollars might cost the Steeler budget and cost us from retaining/signing other players, goodbye Pouncey. Oh yeah, he's an injury waiting to happen. I think Decastro will be the guy we've hoped for. Foster isn't that bad and hopefully Gilbert will do better. Who knows, maybe someone will come in at left tackle and Beachum will move to right. He did very well there if I recall. Never the less, I like Lebsteel's opinion on this. Having said all this, the Steelers will sign Pouncey again to a giant contract and it will hurt the growth and quality of this team for years to come. Just as they always do with their noted players that are more talk than walk.

Legend

User Info Menu

Injury: Maurkice Pouncey, PIT, Torn ACL
    Replacement: Fernando Velasco

What They’re Losing:
    Contrary to popular opinion, we don’t think Pouncey is a bad player, as we still gave him our 12th-highest center grade last season. We just don’t understand why he receives awards and praise over better performers like John Sullivan and Nick Mangold. Nevertheless, he was the most stable piece on a Pittsburgh line that has lacked continuity.
    What They’re Getting: Though Kelvin Beachum is supposedly starting on Monday night, the three QB pressures and -2.3 run block grade he earned in Week 1 makes it seem like a matter of time until Velasco has to step in. The veteran former-Titan actually came in just ahead of Pouncey in our center rankings last season, and it’s hard to see a massive drop off with the underrated lineman in the game.
    Outcome: The Pittsburgh line has a host of problems despite the early draft picks they’ve spent there, and swapping a consistent center for a solid one won’t change that. Though he draws an unenviable assignment this Monday against Geno Atkins & Co., Velasco will eventually settle in and put Pittsburgh’s mind at ease a bit.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 12-14-2013 at 10:01 AM.