Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pouncey's Worth - You're the GM

Legend

User Info Menu

That has little or no correlation to how good or bad Maurkice Pouncey is as a center in the NFL. There are 5 players that make up an offensive line, 6 if you include a tight end, Mike Webster or Dermontti Dawson weren't making this offensive line good over the past two years and they are both in the HOF and can be argued that they are the #1 and #2 centers of all time.
    Id have to disagree with ya Pap.
    Center IMO is the anchor of any strong O-line.
    The title of this thread is Pouncey's worth.
    I'm assuming it's his worth to the Steelers, not the rest of the NFL.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If "I'm the GM", I bite the bullet (hope his injuries don't compound) and I pay the man. I offer him Top 5 money, minus (10%... I want a bit of a hometeam discount. I won't pay top, top dollar.)

Of course, we are taking this situation in a vacuum. I'm put off big-time, by his rapper promoting moments after a playoff loss, and his Free Hernandez picture. Before inking him, I would discreetly feel out the market for him. If I could get anywhere from a 3rd round pick & up, I probably do it. This would save us a lot of money I assume going forward short-term.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes Shoe, savings would be
    $4,113,375

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Id have to disagree with ya Pap.
    Center IMO is the anchor of any strong O-line.
    The title of this thread is Pouncey's worth.
    I'm assuming it's his worth to the Steelers, not the rest of the NFL.
    Pouncey's worth to the Steelers is relatively high as well, now, another team (Miami) may overpay for him and in that case, I'm sure the Rooneys and Colbert will let him walk, it's not their way to get in a bidding war. I think Pouncey makes the line better.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Maybe we should get rid of Ben too.
    Centers can be easily replaced, it's much different for franchise quarterbacks. It's a double standard...but true.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    That's the Steelers way. Just consider, RBs generally run better to the right and we start the season with our 2 most physical run blockers on the left side of the line and our best pulling G on the right.

It would make so much sense to have Adams and Foster playing on the right and DD on the left to pull right. Our running game would be explosive. Add Pouncey back into the mix and I think we can be a dominant OLine even with Beachum at LT.
    I was actually referring to the fans. lol

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

4 million seems ok.
    The o line has really improved compared to the beginning of the season. With Pouncey this might even be a Top 12 line nex year.

Backup

User Info Menu

He is a slightly above average center and a comes off as a poor human being... His ties to Hernandez and the "Free Hernandez" hats forever turned me off from liking Pouncey. He graded out 12th last year? You still want to pay him top 5 money? Not only will you overpay but will be saddled with a potential bad character guy. I know that doesn't matter to a lot of folks, but I hope it matters to the Rooney's... With that said it will be interesting what they decide to do with him...

Did you see the way Cody Wallace pulled Dwyer for extra yardage for the first down last Sunday? Never saw Pouncey do that... But I have seen him get manhandled on many occasions... Not saying Cody Wallace is the answer, just saying Pouncey is easily replaceable. All hype and no character...

Legend

User Info Menu

For the talk about his agility and athleticism, I think that this is countered by his lack of strength. He can pull and get out in front to the second level, but he also gets trucked way too often. In a division where 38% of your games have you matching up with Haloti Ngata, Phil Taylor, and Geno Atkins, that is not a great shortcoming to have.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    For the talk about his agility and athleticism, I think that this is countered by his lack of strength. He can pull and get out in front to the second level, but he also gets trucked way too often. In a division where 38% of your games have you matching up with Haloti Ngata, Phil Taylor, and Geno Atkins, that is not a great shortcoming to have.
    Right on the mark. He never was a power blocker in college and isn't in the NFL. Doesn't mean he can't be solid but if you want movement in the middle he is likely not the guy. Why do you think we have struggled in short yardage since he took over?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"