Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Troy as DB/LB Hybrid

  1. #1

    Troy as DB/LB Hybrid

    Hear me out. But, I was wondering if we could extend Troy's career by playing something similar to a 3-3-5...with Troy in the slot DB/LB position...rushing the passer...covering TEs and the slot. I think he has something left in the tank. It would certainly be a nice package to go to when teams are running no huddle.

    Golden Shark

    Allen Gay/or first rounder/FA

    Troy Worilds Timmons Woodley(Jones)

    Heyward McClendon Hood

  2. #2
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    6,946
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Hear me out. But, I was wondering if we could extend Troy's career by playing something similar to a 3-3-5...with Troy in the slot DB/LB position...rushing the passer...covering TEs and the slot. I think he has something left in the tank. It would certainly be a nice package to go to when teams are running no huddle.

    Golden Shark

    Allen Gay/or first rounder/FA

    Troy Worilds Timmons Woodley(Jones)

    Heyward McClendon Hood
    I don't believe Troy would do well covering today's tight ends, they're too big and strong for Troy at his age. Personally, I wish he could cover better, FS could extend his career more than anything. Making tackles and trying to rush the passer against 300 pound linemen I don't believe will work out for Troy, just my opinion.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  3. #3
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,455
    This is going to be an ugly offseason for some beloved Steelers. There will be lows than highs. I think this will be an offseason where they will be more active in FA. That being said...Taking into account the 13 games...There may be no spot for Troy in a starting role. Troy is going to have to take a 5 mil cut to stay here imo.

    The big nickel with him at ILB can now be exploited especially with a running QB. Both big runs on Sunday were out of 11 personnel that drew our big nickel & Troy was terrible & part of the reason the play went for big yardage. At the beginning of the year, I though Troy playing ILB was because of lack of ILB talent. I now know it is because Troy is a liability deep & that may have been the only place to keep him on the field. We all now see he is a liability as a nickel LB against the run. The biggest reason for the Steelers giving up big plays is Clark & Troy no longer can play single safety & close enough to help in coverage. Add in the fact Ike is no longer able to work without help...Offenses can take base off the field going to 11 personnel & run against us...Moving the chains. Once upon a time...Troy could take the #3 WR & Clark would play CF still leaving base on the field with 7 in the box (3 DL & 4 LB). Troy in is prime would actually be #8 covering the slot if they ran. Now we get 6 in the box (2 DL, 3 LBs, & 1 DB) because they press pass first. In a traditional offense, the offense is +1 in the box....That reads run. In an "option" offense...The offense is +2 in the box...That Screams run. And there isn't a dam thing the Steelers could do about it except HOPE someone can win their battle & make a play.

    It will be a heart breaking offseason...Many Ward type farewells. One or both of Troy & Ike may not be offered paycuts. The Steelers may have to franchise Worilds & get him done longterm. Clark & Keisel won't be back. Sanders will go elsewhere. I'm 100% on Haley being gone but I now am leaning toward DL retiring...His "faces" on the defense may be gone. I will just say this. Don't watch the offseason & think with your hearts...Think with your heads...Believe your eyes. This is best for this team to get it turned around. They need to focus on Worilds, Velasco, Cothchery, Dwyer, Woods, & W Allen. Some outside FA at key starting positions. See if they could get Hood at 2-3 mil. Throw in a draft of skill players early...I think '14 could be a playoff year.



  4. #4
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,541
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I don't believe Troy would do well covering today's tight ends, they're too big and strong for Troy at his age. Personally, I wish he could cover better, FS could extend his career more than anything. Making tackles and trying to rush the passer against 300 pound linemen I don't believe will work out for Troy, just my opinion.

    Pappy
    I agree. I think Troy, his gambling tendencies aside, has some good FS qualities.

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,455
    Troy doesn't have any S range anymore...He is no FS. Troy has no impact if he is 15+ yards off LOS. Both Clark & Troy are playing at back-up Safety levels. Troy's instincts & burst give him the ability to still make some plays in the LB zone but his tackling has fallen off. We all witnessed the "30" fall-off for Troy, Clark, & Ike. These guys are like 35 &36 year olds in football years with all the post seasons. It is the end.



  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Troy doesn't have any S range anymore...He is no FS. Troy has no impact if he is 15+ yards off LOS. Both Clark & Troy are playing at back-up Safety levels. Troy's instincts & burst give him the ability to still make some plays in the LB zone but his tackling has fallen off. We all witnessed the "30" fall-off for Troy, Clark, & Ike. These guys are like 35 &36 year olds in football years with all the post seasons. It is the end.
    I agree. He is no FS, and his skill set is more of a LB than a S at this point in his career. Unless Troy is willing to play for vet min...which I don't believe he will...he will be released.

  7. #7
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I agree. He is no FS, and his skill set is more of a LB than a S at this point in his career. Unless Troy is willing to play for vet min...which I don't believe he will...he will be released.
    I'm ok with him coming back if he takes a big cut. Retaining W Allen will be easy & cheap too. Let Clark walk. Troy has 2.6 mil of bonus. The "Max" should be cut his base from 8.2 to 2.2. That will save you 6 mil. If he doesn't like that than cut him & save 8 mil. If he says...He will have to beat out Shark to start.



  8. #8
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    6,946
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I'm ok with him coming back if he takes a big cut. Retaining W Allen will be easy & cheap too. Let Clark walk. Troy has 2.6 mil of bonus. The "Max" should be cut his base from 8.2 to 2.2. That will save you 6 mil. If he doesn't like that than cut him & save 8 mil. If he says...He will have to beat out Shark to start.
    I know he doesn't cover well, but he still has the speed and instincts (IMO) to be a FS. You get a head start on guys like Wallace, Green, the Johnsons playing safety, so if you play your responsibilities I don't see why Troy can't be a FS for a year maybe two while a young FS is drafted or picked up in FA.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  9. #9
    Backup kindlecatsb'ng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West of Clowns Town
    Posts
    326
    Did you all see this article in the Trib today:

    http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#axzz2n6mT1GT0

    Maybe he is being unfairly judged without knowing the details.

    Kindle

  10. #10
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    6,946
    Quote Originally Posted by kindlecatsb'ng View Post
    Did you all see this article in the Trib today:

    http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#axzz2n6mT1GT0

    Maybe he is being unfairly judged without knowing the details.

    Kindle
    Well, Kindle, if the Steelers have to use a HOF SS as an ILB because one player was injured for the season then the problem is with the depth of talent at the position. You shouldn't be putting Polamalu in that position in the first place, he can't win the matchup against a 300 pound lineman and in this case he got wrecked.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •